New guy with new light

Hobbit712

Newly Enlightened
Well this is my first post on this site. I found you guys a few weeks ago while doing research for a new flashlight for work. Great site with a A LOT of information to absorb. :eek: I had no idea there were that many choices in small "tactical" lights. I had heard of Surefire, Streamlight and Maglight of course. But a coworker of mine showed me his Streamlight Scorpion LED and I was on a quest.

I started doing some research on LED lights as I over research any purchase. Just ask my wife. It can take me weeks to make up my mind on anything.

So I settled on the Olight T20 "special edition" from Battery Junction. I was looking for a "thrower" as you guys call them. The light arrived yesterday and I am impressed. Very comparable to my Mag-charger that I use at work. I like the additional features of the Olight especially the strobe function. It's a lot of light for the money!:twothumbs

I have always had a bit of a fetish for flashlights but never seriously pursued the "hobby". I'm sure the wife is not thrilled about a new collecting type hobby. Although I showed her the new Olight today and she said she liked it! She says she may want one as well. She carries a Streamlight Strion for her work duties.

Now if I could just convince her that watches are just as cool as flashlights!:sigh: I am a bit of a watch nut as well. Have approximately 30 in
THAT collection. I am a bit of a cigar nut although that collection has dwindled in recent years. :poof: I enjoy playing roller/ice hockey and riding my motorcycle.

One of my favorite hobbies though is spending time with my 5 year old daughter.

The light collection is not impressive......yet.:naughty:
1) Mag charger issued by work
2) Olight T20
3) 6 Cyclops......picked up at Sam's cheap:thumbsup:
4) 2 Harbor Freight's Gordon 9 LED light...also cheap
5) AA MiniMag converted by Nite Ize 3 LED drop in w/ switch...done since finding this site and waiting on the Olight.

tslrc

Newly Enlightened
Hobbit,
:welcome:, looks like you keep pretty busy with hobbies, and family! In the true spirit of this forum.............. You need more lights :candle: as I'm sure others will tell you. I have heard the Olights mentioned a lot, but never researched them, but think I might have to.

There's a lot of people here willing to help. I remember being amazed as a kid that batteries could power a flashlight, and I too liked them, used rechargeables(with no idea how to properly charge, etc...). Portable transistor radios, and toys that used batteries were my favorites too.

In the past year I have really gotten into the lights, but nothing like some here, so I guess I need some new lights too :twothumbs

Again, welcome and let us know how the Olight does and any others you get.

Steve

sawlight

Enlightened
Welcome Hobbit!!! I will stay off the light subject as I am but a newbie myself.
But the members here are GREAT!! I am continuiosly amazed by the generosity of this sites members!!!!

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome Hobbit! This is a great place. You will find out about lights (like the T20) that most consumers never hear about. The reviews section has both cost and saved me (ok, mainly cost) lots of money.

Also look at the buy/sell/trade section in the Marketplace forum. I have picked up and sold several lights and one Seiko Monster dive watch there...all at reasonable prices.

Welcome to cpf!

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF:welcome:

I also Picked up the Olight T20 special edition with the Q5 emitter. It was my first LED light and I too was quite impressed.

Again Welcome.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's how to save money. Build/buy an aspheric mag, (the ultimate handheld thrower), and you won't lust after very many lights.

RecycledElectron

Newly Enlightened
Hobbit, welcome to CPF! I too bought the T20 Q5, I've had it a week and I think you'll be impressed. I have heard that the AW protected RCR rechargeables work well in it, I'm using Powerizer RCR's. I'm thinking about getting a T15 Q5 just because I like the AA format. Performance wise it wouldn't let your wife down, though mine is happy with her CL-Ev2. I used to have an issue SL20XL, but I'm retired now.

I like pocket watches, and my wife won't let me smoke cigars and pipes any more. :sigh:

Motorcycles are required for a ton of fun. You never see one parked in front of a psychiatrist's office. Unless it's his. :thumbsup: My 2 granddaughter's are just waiting until they're old enough to ride behind grampa. Back when we all lived in the same apartment complex, they'd take the cover off the bike so they could sit on it before grandma or grandpa got home from work. They'd try to put the cover back on, but never quite got it right. :D They never hurt anything, so I just put it up on the centerstand so it wouldn't fall over.

Flashlights can be an expensive hobby, but I find I like holding the sun in my hand. :) The flashlights in my signature line aren't all that I've got.

Have fun. You'll learn a lot on this forum.

Last edited: