Flashlight lenses, how to tell them apart?

ReconTech

Newly Enlightened
How can you tell the difference between a pyrex lens and a lexan lens, or other varieties? Like on my M2 ?

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe there is someone with more knowledge than me, but . . .

Pyrex is glass and Lexan is plastic, so, taping lightly on the lens with a metal pbject, glass sound like "klink klink klink", whereas plastic has a deader "tap tap tap" sound.

To set a reference point before doing this on your lens, tap the metal object on a known glass and a known plastic object to get familiar with the sound.

Monsters_Inc

Banned
As with BuddTX's tapping suggestion, tap your monitor screen (you should all be sitting infront of it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif) that's the sound of glass.

Monsters_Inc

Banned
Actually, tapping doesn't sort out the difference. I tried it on a UCL in my TL, it doesn't have the resonance of other glass, possibly due to the small size of glass and it being tightly screwed down against o-rings.

Floating Spots

Enlightened
Mine isn't. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
(You knew someone would say it).
LCD.
I guess if I tap real hard I could break the glass substrate...

GeoffChan

Enlightened
the M2 should be Pyrex. Surefire will glue pyrex lens to the the bezel, Lexan is snapped in and held together with an o-ring.

FC might provide examples.

Geoff

battman

Newly Enlightened
I am not suggesting that anyone try this, but on the Mohs Scale of Hardness, Glass rates 6-7. A knife blade is 5.5. With that logic, a knife will not scratch a pyrex lens, but it WILL scratch a plastic (lexan) lens. Personally, I wouldn't try this experiment on my beloved lights, but if you really want to know.....

(I'd sooner contact the manufacturer!)

kev1-1

Enlightened
If you look at a reflection in pyrex it will look nice and sharp. With the lexan lens the reflection will appear a little distorted! (must be sober for this test!)

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
kev's suggestion is the best. the lexan will usually be a little warped due to the tension from the snap-fit. on surefires at least, the reflection on the glass lens will also be dimmer due to the anti-reflective coating.

flashlightlens

Newly Enlightened
Interesting thoughts here.... I'm obviously assuming you can't get the lens out, which means it's probably either press-fit poly or glued glass. Most polycarb lenses I've seen on lights have practically come from the factory with a few scratches. In fact, I haven't met a poly lens I couldn't put scratches in with a rough piece of skin on my finger.

A test? - If non-destructive tests aren't telling the tale, then I'd suggest using a pin. Give the lens a little rub with the point near the edge. You should quickly be able to see the result. If you use a dental pick type instrument, you may even hear the result - a glass lens might cause the pick to resonate and squeak a little.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
flashlightlens: sometimes when cleaning the lens on my C2 with my t-shirt, i put what i think are scratches on it which can't be cleaned off. but when i use a proper liquid cleaner on it, the scratches come right off. this is probably because lexan gets stained easily, and stains on a lexan lens are harder to clean off than on a glass lens.

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife, who beads necklaces etc., taps beads against her front teeth to tell glass ones from plastic. Works well, and they make quite a different bone conducted sound, as well as a different tactile sensation on the teeth.