Anyone else with P2D problems?

jspalmer

Newly Enlightened
Anyone else having problems with their Fenix P2D (R100)? Mine is 3 months old and I've been EDC'ing it since it arrived. This weekend, it started malfunctioning. I switched batteries twice and the problem has persisted. It won't come on every time, and when it does it won't reliably switch through its modes. It also goes off intermittently, but if you slap the head, it will come back on (sometimes), but then it won't respond to mode changes. I've tightened the head, cleaned the connections, even switched battery manufacturers. This is not intended to be a Fenix bash post. Please respond if you've had similar problems and/or with information you could share regarding the problem. I'll be sending it back for repair, which given Fenix's reputation, shouldn't be an issue. My real question is one of reliability with these lights overall. This light has seen no abuse or harsh conditions and to experience a failure like this is concerning. Is this a fluke or is it representative of a major difference in quality based on others' experiences?

scottaw

Enlightened
All my fenix problems have been solved by cleaning the head contacts ( i have a P2D CE) but since you already cleaned them....best of luck, But david (4sevens) has a great rep for great customer service.

brunt_sp

Enlightened
A regular problem is the tailcap. The aluminium retaining ring comes loose. Tighten it up using nose-end pliers in the two holes. Advice is that battery changes should be done from the head end to prevent the probem happening again.

Last edited:

jspalmer

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. Maybe I'm not cleaning all the contacts? Where all have you found buildup?

daveman

Enlightened
My real question is one of reliability with these lights overall. This light has seen no abuse or harsh conditions and to experience a failure like this is concerning. Is this a fluke or is it representative of a major difference in quality based on others' experiences?
Sorry bro, can't say I have had the same experience as you, my original Fenix P1 from 2 years ago is still giving and going strong, and from the 4 P2Ds I just received, the built and construction, inside and out, were all flawless as well. I think you got a lemon, man.

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
i bought L1D body without the tailcap but 4sevens did sent me the body WITH the tailcap. Well i thought this must be a gift since the switch module is broken and stuck in ON position and the clicky feels less "clicky". So it is possible that the switch module might get weaken in your case.

ps. all of my Fenix lights doesnt have that problem though only the "gift" that 4sevens sent me :)