First Surefire Choice - Requestin Advice / Suggestions

Taboot

Enlightened
I'm going to buy or XMAS list a Surefire light within the next month or two. I am a fan of relatively bright lights (WE Rattlesnake w/EO-13, Thor, P3D-Q5, etc.)

I am not a LEO nor do I have a real need that drives my choice. I simply need to have a SF light and I want to choose the one that will suit me best and not disappoint in comparison to my other lights. From my research, the C3 (w/P91) seems like a potentially good fit. I would like at least 120 SF lumens, I don't care about size, and it has to $120-$150 or less.

My question is: Do you recommend the C3? And/or, do you think I should look at something else(SF)?

Thanks in advance for your time,

T

sgtgeo

Newly Enlightened
The C3 is my current favorite SF

I have a BOG Q5 Cree LA in it and a custom tailswitch

the dropin give 200+ lumens a between 2-3hrs runtime (I've heard)

6oc57yw.jpg

Last edited:

Taboot

Enlightened
sgtgeo, the BOG drop in that works with the C3 is $50 no? 230 lumens sounds good though. I like the tailcap too.

Thanks for the info and the picture.

T

sgtgeo

Newly Enlightened
yeah around $50

I'd look around the marketplace for the C3. I got this one for a great price. Also got a great deal on a C2 with the Malkoff Dropin

Taboot

Enlightened
I think you would like the dropin since it gives you all the benefits of LEDs, and you get the nice looking incan housing.

So, I can put the Malkoff or BOG drop-in in the C3? If I could have a relatively easy switch between an incan and an LED, it would be a plus. It looks like I could use the LF 380 lumen LA as well.

Spence

Enlightened
I have the SureFire 9P, among other models, and it is basically the same light as the C3. I really think they (both) are the most versatile in the incandescent line because of all the modifications available from SF alone.
Then you get into the aftermarket for drop-ins of all types to save you money or to go to rechargeable batteries (DealExtreme, Lighthound,Battery Junction, etc). You made a good choice. I'd suggest a lanyard arrangement of your choice, as I really hate dropping my SF's or letting them get away from me.
Good Luck.

:welcome: :thumbsup:

Taboot

Enlightened
I have the SureFire 9P, among other models, and it is basically the same light as the C3. I really think they (both) are the most versatile in the incandescent line because of all the modifications available from SF alone.
Then you get into the aftermarket for drop-ins of all types to save you money or to go to rechargeable batteries (DealExtreme, Lighthound,Battery Junction, etc). You made a good choice. I'd suggest a lanyard arrangement of your choice, as I really hate dropping my SF's or letting them get away from me.
Good Luck.

:welcome: :thumbsup:
I didn't realize the 9P & C3 were the same basic light. Since I would be looking to use various drop-ins, I may consider the 9P instead as it is significantly less expen$ive.

Thanks for the input all.

T

Spence

Enlightened
I consider the 9P a budget minded, rock solid, working man's flashlight. It is a comfortable size with plenty of power. It's simplistic art in tool form that just feels good in your hand. If you're not going to do allot of Roger's style flashlight/handgun grip use, you may enjoy and appreciate the 9P better. I'm getting good results with the DX 6090, CREE drop-in LED and I'd bet it's putting out over a hundred lumens. Good throw, ample spill and only $10 (that's a cheap LED CREE upgrade for the 9P). Check out Battery Junction's SureFire deals (free shipping, free batteries, no sles tax and great Customer service). In five minutes I'm going to order a SF U2 Ultra from them, and boy am I excited.
You should really seriously consider the SF L1 Digital Lumamax CREE, with two settings. I really love that light for $135 (single 123). You can publicly lambast me if you're not really impressed. Make sure it's the new CREE version you're checking out or buying, as dealers are exhausting their previous version stock.
Good luck, pal.

:wave: :twothumbs

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: First Surefire Choice - Requesting Advice / Suggestions

I love the surefire L4.
This really depends on the kind of flashlight you want/need.
need a tight beam a kl3 head on a 6P body.
The 6P body may be a good place to start. You can build many flashlights from there and use many drive in globes.

You can go LED with the KL5 head or a drop in emitter.
There are so many options.
BTW the 9P has been mentioned here the 9p Is great but nearly as flexible as a 6P. The 6P will accept a detonator extension making it able to run the 9Volt globes. Most of the time a 6 P is good enough with a 2 battery setup and what ever head you choose to use.

If you need a slightly smaller form factor then the L4 with the KL4 head is a good place to start. there is a whole other surefire Lego world available there as well.

My first "real" flashlight was a 6P I still have it and several others which have all been turned into other incredible flashlights through the magical use of surefire Legos.
Good luck have fun.
Yaesumofo