Need a bright flood solution

gearbox

Newly Enlightened
My Mom is going to China to do some geneological research and may need a flashlight to photograph in the dark (the built-in flash doesn't work well -- I tried it, the metering doesn't seem to change anything)

I showed her the cheapo Cree I keep in my pocket and she was impressed by how much better it is than the 6V lantern and the 5mm emitters in her Dorcy-like lights.

I was considering sending her off with my G2 w/DX Cree lamp, but I'm not sure it is floody enough to work well with what is to be photographed (manuscripts, engravings, grave markers and who knows what else). So since it would need to be used from anywhere from 2 to 50 feet I was thinking I could pair up this with a diffuser and some rechargeable cells. It could be used on low close-up so she doesn't blind herself and on high for the other stuff. I'd like to disable strobe because it's very disorienting for a 65+ year old.
Any other suggestions?
Does anyone know for certain if I could use 18650's and if they would run more efficiently?

mechBgon

Enlightened
If she doesn't have a tripod, they're invaluable for low-light photography too :) You might also experiment with a white umbrella as a bounce surface to provide diffused overhead light; you could even attach a medium-power flashlight right to the shaft of the umbrella, aiming up at the fabric, so it's self-contained and easily held in one hand.

Last edited:

fishx65

Enlightened
Might also want to consider a cree or seoul light that has the ability to work without the head screwed on. These types of lights can provide a ton of very smooth flood. Some even allow you to remove the reflector and then screw the head back on so you don't get blinded by the bare led.

yalskey

Enlightened
Might also want to consider a cree or seoul light that has the ability to work without the head screwed on. These types of lights can provide a ton of very smooth flood. Some even allow you to remove the reflector and then screw the head back on so you don't get blinded by the bare led.

I know my Tiablo A9 does exactly this. Pretty neat to see actually. I found this out one time when I was putting lube on the threads and I put it all back together again, but forgot to put the reflector back in. I was like, what the heck is wrong with this light... then I remembered!!! Duh!