wireless camera surveillance systems?

Gran Nismo

Newly Enlightened
Well, I had my car broken into today, nothing stolen, because my alarm deterred them. Waiting on quotes for driver side window replacement. I was in my deep sleep so it took me a while to hear my alarm pager going off. I would love to chop off the hands of these *******(s). A Louisville to the face is not enough for these type of losers.

Also looking for powerful floodlight setup that stays on for a long period. Strobing would be nice feature.

The X10 1001 system for around $300-$400 is what I am looking at.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

This will all be connected via my computer.

- Granni

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got some of the X10 low light cam systems. I wouldn't exactly call them "low" more like "slightly less" but the lights coming on will be the main deterrent for a smash and grab.
Something to keep in mind with those wireless cams is that they can interfere with 2.4ghz things of other types, like your wireless phone, your 802.11 network and such. THey do have I think 4 channels to choose from, so with some messing around you can usually get them all to work together, but it depends on the hardware.

Lastly, the receivers for these cameras are inexpensive and come from many different manufacturers. You can go buy a wireless baby monitor receiver and drive around tune into all your neighbors cams. That is beyond a smash and grab guy, but you dont want to set one up inside the house if you dont want your neighbors watching you.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have much experience with security camera systems--If you have a Costco card (or know somebody), here is one 4 camera system with hard drive storage for $420.

Our local Costco has a 3(?) camera wirless pack (no recorder). I worry a bit about wireless... From my little experience anything can interfere. For example if you have a cordless phone on the same frequency, you may get static in your picture every few seconds...

Somebody else recommended this website on another forum...

Good Luck.
-Bill

Gran Nismo

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info. That sucks that ppl want to be voyeurs. I will have this outside looking at the car and door entrance area. The X10 package seems to be the best deal. I will see what Frequency my router and phones are.

I wanna have a motion sensor light thing to take instant pictures as it is activated. I wonder if there are some setups like that.

This is the kit I am looking at.

http://www.x10.com/products/xx16a_as_cam_41806_promo_vcr_2_0418.html

- Granni

Last edited: