Need suggestions on M*g build

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all,

I decided it's time to build a M*G mod, in short words - rechargeable, plenty lumens, cheap :). I don't have any experience with this, so I think I'll need some help from the M*G experts :).

Here is my idea:
(this list was updated to reflect changes)

Body - M*glite 2C black, $15+$17(s&h to Slovakia) = $27 from eBay, anyone knows a cheaper source? (27$ for a whole flashlight isn't much, but I don't want to spend too much on a M*Glite :laughing:) (ordered)

Batteries- 2 protected AW C lion batteries, 2x $22 + $4.5(s&h) = $48.5. I am not going to save money on lion batteries. Unfortunately sold out right now. (ordered)

Extender - probably AW's 10mm extender for $12.50. Anyone knows a better option (cheaper, more simple)? (ordered)

Lamp socket - fivemega brass bi-pin socket - $16 + $5 shipping = $21
kaidomain bi-pin socket, $10.00 - new design, with a screw on the side to keep the bulb in place. Here is the thread. (ordered)

Reflector - MOP smooth reflector from kaidomain, $15 shipped, link. MOP seems like a better option to me, I don't need a pure thrower. This reflector from Kai had good feedback from CPF users, as far as I read. (ordered)

Bulbs - not sure here, WA1111 for high-output. It's quite cheap - $9 for a bulb but short life, ~10 hours. (ordered)

Kai's new bulb - KD773U, sounds even more interesting - 5 bulbs for $14,
KD773U:[email protected](23.24W) – 773m – 3520K, unfortunately it's not on sale - here's the interests thread.

Lens - Borofloat lens from flashlightlens.com, $4.5 + $1.8 = $6.3. UCL has better light transmission, but I need something more durable, I'll be taking the flashlight with me on hikes. (ordered)

What do you think of it?
What else am I going to need? (besides a good lion charger)

Thank you for any suggestions. Thank you.

Last edited:

Jenova

Enlightened
Body - M*glite 2C black, Perfect Host- Sorry cant help you with the prices

Batteries- Cant help as dont know too much about lipo's

Lamp socket - fivemega bi-pin stainless socket - Might be alrite with the brass one (save ya some cash)
Or
You could do a switch mod with kui high temp socket mod

Reflector - MOP smooth reflector from kaidomain, Really Good Price

Bulbs - not sure here, WA1111 herd alot of good things about these

Lens - Borofloat lens from flashlightlens.com, Might be able to get some from firemega or kiu (save on postage with other items)

Seems like a good mod would love to see when finished, also got a 2c on order so still planing for mine might even do this if its sweet

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Time to bring this thread back to life. I have all missing parts on the way to me (batteries, bulbs and socket). Total cost of this build is arround $140 including all the shipping cost.

Do I need to change the switch or do resistance fixes to be able to use the WA1111 bulb with 2 AW C lions? Do I need to buy the Deoxit stuff?
Can I run this bulb on 2 C cells right of the charger?

My configuration:
  • Mag 2C flashlight
  • Borofloat lens
  • Kaidomain MOP reflector
  • FiveMega brass bi-pin socket
  • AW C cells
  • AW extender magring
Thank you.

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Time to bring this thread back to life. I have all missing parts on the way to me (batteries, bulbs and socket). Total cost of this build is arround $140 including all the shipping cost.

Do I need to change the switch or do resistance fixes to be able to use the WA1111 bulb with 2 AW C lions? Do I need to buy the Deoxit stuff?
Can I run this bulb on 2 C cells right of the charger?

My configuration:
  • Mag 2C flashlight
  • Borofloat lens
  • Kaidomain MOP reflector
  • FiveMega brass bi-pin socket
  • AW C cells
  • AW extender magring
Thank you.

I think that you are ready...:)
to prevent instaflashing of the bulb you don't need to do any resistance fix (and also becouse you'll run at a low amperage).

Li-ion batteries do not self discharge like nimh so you can't let them rest to drop voltage...assuming 4,2 "hot of the charger" you will have 8,4Vb that will be safe for bulb after resistance loss (just IMO)

deoxit will help you with contacts...I think is always a good thing for "hotwires"...

BTW, very good light...most of people use mag their 2C with ROP or 5761 but do not consider the perfect compromise Runtime/power of WA1111:)

-F

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you Filippo :thumbsup:.
I can't wait to put all the parts together and test it somewhere in the outdoors.