Brightness Yes, however spectrum now..

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
What are the best edc'able lights that take 1 or 2 cr123 primary's that has the absolutly best spectrum and tint etc? Im cusious about how led spectrums are going to vary, and my next purchase will focus chiefly on spectrum rather than lumens. My new light would have to have enough lumen and throw to be useful with the life of the battery, but im looking for something that will give the fullest image and color rendition.

Any ideas? I am in England, and would at that time not be looking to spend more than £30 ($60 - $70)

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
also, regarding "tint" do they just make it more yellow color to make it feel warmer, OR is it that colour because it has a higher specreum of light production?

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since most people don't have a spectrometer, or whatever, it will probably be hard to give you an answer other than what we observe with our eyes. I have found the Rebel LED's to do better rendering reds and oranges. You might want to check this topic out:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/177051

I don't know if there are any Rebel or Cree LED's tested there, he seems to test anything he can get his hands on so it makes it hard to find results of common LED's, etc. Unless he has a website where his results are organized.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Temperature is usually measured in xxxxk colours etc. I think the bigger number is more spectrum. I remember somewhere i was reading about the colour temperature of 2 tint variations of the Q5, and the warmer one had a larger number. So i guess it has a wider spectrum anyway. maybe it may be worth getting a Rebel P3D at some point, or just wait for something else ?!

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I maybe wrong, but I don't think color temperature has anything to do with how wide the spectrum is.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you are confusing Spectrum, Temp. and CRI.

Color Spectrum:
Is the relative levels of each wavelength of visible light put out by a lamp. Full spectrum means each wavelength has a similar value.

Color Temp:
The light color relative to the incandescent light emitted by a black body radiator heated to a certain temperature measured in Kelvin (C+273)

CRI:
The Color Rendering Index, how well does a certain light source reproduce color rated as a percent closeness to sun light on a sunny day which is 100 the higher the number the closer the color reproduction is to ideal sunlight.

Hope that helps, you want a Light that produces a 4500-5500K light with a full spectrum (not something you can get in LED) with a CRI above 95%. For color reproduction a 3 LED RGB array is your best bet. You can play with the LED levels to produce just what you want.

Hope this all helps.

EV_007

Enlightened
So does the Rebel produce more yellow or greenish hue compared to other LEDs?

Is the color temp of the Rebel 80 vs. 100 different?

Does the type of power source (Primary vs. RCR AAA, AA 123a) make a difference in the color temp aside from the lottery effect?

I've noticed that the greener LEDs render slightly better than the cooler ones. If the Rebel is more yellow, then I believe this would be a major step toward LEDs performing like incans?

I'm sure warmer color temp is only a part of the full spectrum color rendering story, but I do prefer yellow over blue.

Last edited:

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
well thankyou that info does help me. I will be looking for the best cri that i can find in an led light. (when i have some spare cash). Its hard to think that having a red green and blue led emmiting at the same time would produce white?! Sure i know rbg values for html, but actual light ... would it do that? Is there a way a light manufactuor, could have these different colour led's and pipe them all through a reflacted OP head to mix the colours up? Hmm sounds interesting...

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe Surefire can make the Tritan, a LED light with a red, green, and blue LED, and 3 knobs so you can adjust each one to put out white, or any other color you want. :)

woodfluter

Newly Enlightened
// Hope that helps, you want a Light that produces a 4500-5500K light with a full spectrum (not something you can get in LED) with a CRI above 95%. For color reproduction a 3 LED RGB array is your best bet. You can play with the LED levels to produce just what you want.

Thank you 65535, I was going to start a thread on this, and don't want to hijack this one, but...my question is so closely related...

I have become more concerned with color rendition. Maybe it is all the fall leaves on the ground, maybe the way my wife's incan cuts through mist better than my LEDs. So, I have been playing around with what I have on hand - and mixing the beams of a red Luxeon with a white Cree make a significantly improved beam with respect to CRI - at least subjectively. And I do know some stage lighting uses RGB arrays. So...

How come we haven't seen something like a two-beam, tandem reflector multi-level high-output LED flashlight? I was thinking perhaps white plus amber. Or have I missed something?

- Bill

fa__

Newly Enlightened
What is easily eyeseenable is that a L2D rebel 100 performs better as a L2DQ5 in fog or heavy low clouds, i often did the test.