Xmas presents for Mom and Me, help decide

conwict

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,

New to CPF, but I've lurked for a couple months. Really appreciate the wealth of info and nice attitudes here!

Looking for a present for mom that is in the 20-40 range...nice bright light that takes preferably AA-AAA, but CR123As are acceptable I guess.

Originally I was looking at the red L0D Q4 on fenix-store, but then I found the LumaPower LM31. No brainer! $10 cheaper and brighter to boot! She wants a "keychain/purse" light that is nice and bright, good balance of spill & throw, versatile (maps as well as walking out to the car at night).

Likewise, I had been considering the P2D Q5. I liked what I had heard about it and love the size. Price isn't too bad either. Then I saw the "4-in-1 pack" which includes a Q5 head, L-something body, diffuser, and P2D body...thought I'd get that...THEN I saw the Olight T10 Q5.

Basically I want a nice small bright light for EDC. 1xCR123A seems like the best choice. I wasn't aware of any other options besides the P2D, but then I found that Olight. Now I'm just lost. They seem comparable as far as different output modes, and the UI of the Olight sounds just a bit better or more reliable. I also like the extra throw of the Olight. I will be CCW soon, and tactical use is a consideration perhaps.

Also, is the Olight lumen measures as emitter lumens, or OTF lumens??

So basically my criteria are above, and my price range is up to $75 before shipping. I would also like to get the light for my mom from the same site to save on shipping costs (fenix-store has P2d and L0D, and battery-junction has Olight and Lumapower). Any ideas, or thoughts on P2D Q5 vs. T10 Q5?

Thanks a ton everyone!

CoolHands

Newly Enlightened
Well to help lose yourself some more how about a Lumapower 'M3 transformer' for you! Also available from batteryjunction (like the LM31). Great light, and you can use it with either AA or CR123 (comes with alternative bodies). Plus it comes with turboforce head free!

So lots of bits for you to play with. I like mine a lot

http://www.batteryjunction.com/lumapowerm3.html

welcome to CPF
:wave:

conwict

Newly Enlightened
That says "80-100" output lumens, how does that compare to the "180+" emitter (?) lumens of the T10?

I like the idea of a really bright light, but the Transformer is cool...gotta look at it some more. How does it compare in brightness?

Thanks for the prompt response and the friendly welcoming!

conwict

Newly Enlightened
Whoa, just noticed the TurboForce head. Methinks maybe the M3 with the turboforce head AND momentary tactical on would be superior, tactically? Still interested in brightness.

And anyone who cares to reply from now on...please gives opinions on the M3 also, as it compares to my other options.

Darn you for confuscating things CoolHands!

CoolHands

Newly Enlightened
Well I haven't compared them myself. But the M3 is pretty bright! - you won't be disappointed. Specially with the turbo head and smooth reflector.

*edit: I have a fenix p1d ce q5 that gives out 180 on max, and I would say you won't be disappointed with the lesser output of the M3. It is brighter, but it has a smaller head so all-in-all it doesn't seem like it has an extra 80% output.*

However, the reason I would recommend the M3 is because as your first decent LED light it gives you plenty to play with and have fun with, until you end up buying more lights as the rest of us have! Being able to chop & change is fun whilst you only have one light!

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally I was looking at the red L0D Q4 on fenix-store, but then I found the LumaPower LM31. No brainer! $10 cheaper and brighter to boot!

Keep in mind the LOD is a AAA light, and the LM31 is a AA light. I just got the LOD-CE Q4 Red, and I love it. I ordered one for my brother. He's not a flashaholic so I wanted to get him something he may actually carry and use. If I were buying for my mother I'd get her the same thing.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
For your mother, either the L0D-CE Q4 or the Lumapower LM31.

For you, go for the P2D-CE powerpack because that will also give you a 1 AA battery option.

The Olights seems to have a thicker body then the Fenix lights(at least the T20 did). Some prefer the Olight's UI to Fenix's.

:welcome:

conwict

Newly Enlightened
Does the Olight really have a better throw? I'm intrigued by the half-OP half-smooth reflector idea.

Thanks for the welcomes and replies :)

conwict

Newly Enlightened
Dang...just saw the EDGE Nitecore Defender Infinity...looks sweet! Although I think maybe the CR123A is better for me.

So help me decide once and for all...P2D Q5, EDGE, or Olight T10?!?!

RecycledElectron

Newly Enlightened
The Olight has massive throw for it's size. I've got a T20 Q5 that I EDC and use for walks with 2 Powerizer RCR's. It's the first light that I've gotten that I use on level 2 (120 lumen) because level 1's usually too bright. Coincidentally it happens to last a long time even on RCR's at 120 lumen. Over an hour, I don't know how much over an hour yet, I haven't conducted a runtime test. I'd pick the T20 over the T10 because it's not that much bigger but 2 batteries give you a lot more runtime. I'm thinking about getting a T15 Q5, just because I like the type of beam Olight's have and it's in AA format. It's probably comparable to the Nitecore. The T20 allows me to see down the path up to the next bend, easily 50-60 feet, if I want to see farther, I go to level 1. It's got bright enough spill but doesn't light up stuff I don't want to see. Unlike floodier lights.

The Jetbeam CL-Ev2 might be good for your mom. I gave my wife one and it quickly became her favorite light. She uses it when we go walking after dark. A buddy saw mine and wanted one, so I gave it to him for his birthday and got another one for me. I just gave another buddy one for an early Christmas present. He pooh-pooh'd fancy flashlights until he got his hands on one and after playing with it for a while he's EDC'ing it, I don't think you could get it away from him.

If you want a single CR123 light but don't want to spend the money for the Olight or Fenix, Lighthound has basically the CL-Ev2 only in the CR123 twisty format in the Hyperion CE-R for 35 bucks. http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2892
I thought about getting one, but I can't see that it would do anything that the CL-E doesn't. Except that the CE-R is as bright on medium as the CL-E is on high. Runtime suffers, though.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy conwict, and welcome to CPF,

For Mom, stick with something that uses the more common AA or AAA battery. Jetbeam CL-E or Fenix L0D-CE...... and try to get it in a 'natural' finish rather than black.... as it generally shows wear less, and women tend to find the natural finish a bit more 'friendly'.

For yourself....... well...... let your conscience and your wallet be your guide. Happy hunting.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO for mom get her something that is simple to operate and requires less maintenance. The light should be small, light weight and having a simple KISS interface. Something with a clicky (forwards or reverse) would help. Twist action is too stressful...For me I would go for something that can use rechargeable. I keep it a point to actually check my wife's light on a periodical schedule.