Info on super bright LED flashlights??

ledebuhr1

Newly Enlightened
I currently have a Fenix L2d, while it is REALLY bright on high, I am looking for something even brighter. I want something about the same size.
I saw this one on e-bay, is says 550 lumens, which is questionable.
http://cgi.ebay.com/X-550-Cree-x3-L...yZ106974QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Is this one any good, or is there anything better that is similar in output?
I see that is uses three Cree LED's.
Thanks

bessiebenny

Enlightened
Umm. That light is huge compared to your L2D. =)

Dunno about 500 lumens but it can be if it is driven well. I have a Kaidomain 3 x SSC driven at around 750ma and it easily does aorund 400+ lumens. See my review for the output photo. It it amazing how much brighter it is to all the other little ones I have. (but it is much bigger and heavier also)

BTW, you want brighter in terms of flood or better throw?

In terms of throw, this new Q5 WF-600 should be awesome considering the older model was a monster. (around 15000-20000 lux @ 1m) It's not too too big either which is a huge plus to many.

In terms of flood+throw, this MX Power 3 Cree is a similar one to the one you linked up and has 3 x Cree (not sure bin, probly P4) and can do around 400 lumen or so. It is MUCH cheaper as it is free shipping also.

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
That 3 CREE LED light will be a lot bigger than your L2D. Which L2D do you have? You could try something that takes P60 style drop-ins as there are many Cree Q5 P60 stye drop-ins you can get. Like a Surefire 6P, G2, etc. I'd go with something metal as it can heat sink. I like my Dereelight CL1H V3, it has improvements that improve the heat sinking, which is important when you start pushing the Cree's hard. They make Q5 modules that run the emitter at 1.2A from a 18650 battery. With a smooth reflector it will really throw the light, and with an OP it will give you a larger hot spot and a cleaner beam.

You can see my review here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/178042

Ordering info here:
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=170818

I'm still waiting on the new Dereelight Q5 WC 3-stage 1.2A module, I'll post an update when I get one. The nice thing about a light like this is when a better emitter comes out, you can just order the new module, rather than buying a whole new light.

Basically any of the Q5 lights running the Q5 at 1A-1.2A will be putting out around the same lumens, it's a matter of what kind of beam you want, floody, spot, inbetween. If you simply want throw then you'd want to look at the Dereelight DBS, Tiablo A9, Lumapower MRV, etc, but they will be larger than the L2D. Also the Dereelight CL1H will probably be shorter than the L2D, but a little thicker. Also it utilizes 18650 batteries, so you'd have to get set up with an 18650 battery and a charger, and most of use like AW's batteries which you can buy here:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=170420

To get brighter than that you have to look at the multi-emitter lights, which generally means a larger light, although modders like Milky are putting multiple Rebel LED's in hosts like Surefire U2's which are probably putting out 400-500 lumens! Of course going that route will mean spending a lot more money as well. :)

ledebuhr1

Newly Enlightened
Yes i have the L2d-ce

I want a combination of flood/spot.

What would you consider the L2d to be? a flood or Spot?

That MX power 3 cree looks good, how do these compare in brightness to the L2d.

ledebuhr1

Newly Enlightened
Thanks,

Any where that you can buy a MX power light that is in the USA? seems everywhere that I have found that sells them is in China, and takes a LONG time to get here

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
the solarforce 3 cree with rechargeable kit is great.

very bright compared to l2d ce, maybe 3x?

BEAUTIFUL beam! not kidding.

i have 20 lights and it might be the best beam of them all.

nice hotspot, tons of spill, smooth transition between the two.

white as can be!