Truth about the Terralux TLE-5EX

2ManyLights

Newly Enlightened
What kind of LED is it? Is it really a Cree? Anyone have any stats on performance?

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got one of the newer ones that is a Cree. My only complaint is that I only have 1 1/4 turn between "off" and when the head comes off. Other than that, I love it.

Mercaptan

Enlightened
I had the Seoul version... quickly burned out (within a month of light duty), so I called up Terralux and they sent me the new Cree version.

I'm not as big a fan of the cree as I was of the Seoul... the hotspot has quite a number of artifacts in it. This being said, I'd rather have a working light over a non-working one, and also a better output reliable light (Cree) versus the stock minimag.

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
My only complaint is that I only have 1 1/4 turn between "off" and when the head comes off.

But you only have to twist the light on very slightly and it instantly focuses. Instead of turning and turning like a stock minimag

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is this with the stock reflector? The kit with the shorter reflector allows more thread engagement??

- Alan B

I've got one of the newer ones that is a Cree. My only complaint is that I only have 1 1/4 turn between "off" and when the head comes off. Other than that, I love it.

kd7txg

Newly Enlightened
humm i thought the tle-5ex was a plug n play r & r for a mini mag AA?

txg

LightInTheWallet

Newly Enlightened
the TLE-5EX is very usefull IMO .I received one the first week they were released( perhaps early march) and the seoul emitter kicks the heck out of the lux V drop-in. I use Mine approx. 75 times a week. ( service calls on industrial machinery, nighttime service to hvac/ exhaust units and the like.) the only complaint I have is that in situations where you are bound to hold your minimag within a foot and a half radius of your face (extreme close quarters) it is TOO bright. I would imagine the cree version would be the same brightness with longer runtime.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast

txg

Niteowl

Enlightened

I use teflon tape on the threads to tighten the head up on "on" and use a kroll tail-switch for operation. The teflon tape allows me to use the head to turn it off as a "lock-out" should I care to do so.

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try an IQ Switch frome nite ize, it will let you dim your minimag.

the TLE-5EX is very usefull IMO .I received one the first week they were released( perhaps early march) and the seoul emitter kicks the heck out of the lux V drop-in. I use Mine approx. 75 times a week. ( service calls on industrial machinery, nighttime service to hvac/ exhaust units and the like.) the only complaint I have is that in situations where you are bound to hold your minimag within a foot and a half radius of your face (extreme close quarters) it is TOO bright. I would imagine the cree version would be the same brightness with longer runtime.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast

txg

Dear Color-Me-Curious,

unless something has changed in the designations of the upgrades, i believe that you are correct.

on several websites, i find it listed as the TLE-6EX (4-to-6-cell Mags, C or D, of course) and the TLE-6EXB (2-to-3-cell C and D Mags).

i've purchased several some months ago for some Mags.

the TLE-5 is for the mini-mag.

2ManyLights

Newly Enlightened
I've read that the IQ Switch has a high resistance, therefore lowering output/wasting power.

The resistance part is true. So is the lowering output. But if you're using the IQ, you want lowered power. As far as wasting power, I would say no. Instead, I would say power is "conserved", as the light will burn for a much longer time in a lower setting.