Inova XO3 confusion

Neverready

Newly Enlightened
I was at Fry's Electronics today and was browsing the hundreds of flashlights they had hanging on the wall. I came across the Inova XO3, 5.8 watts. I picked it up and stuck my finger in the "try me" hole while
looking at the lens. That was my first mistake. When I got home, I looked
up the light on many different web sites and found the same light listed
as 3 watts on some sites and 5.8 watts on others. I checked Ebay, and
there were 2 different versions of the light there too. So, I guess my
question is, am I loosing it, or are there really two versions of the same
light. The reason this light caught my eye at Fry's was that it had a
yellow sale tag above it. I checked the PLU number and it matched the
tag. The price was $34.99. I will go back tomorrow and buy one if
someone here tells me that this is a good deal. Thanks for un-confusing me.

Marduke

Flashaholic
The older generation was 3.0 watts, the new one is 5.8 watts. BTW, that's the rated emitter specs, not what Inova is actually driving them at. $35 for an XO3 is a good deal IMO, as they usually go for ~$55-60

Last edited:

Speedball

Newly Enlightened
That is a good deal and our Target sells both of them too. I bought the one with the higher output and it is a solid well made light.

shroomy

Newly Enlightened
haha, no, you're not losing it. If memory serves the 3 watt is the older 2005 version, while the 5.8 watt is the newer 2007 version (I think there are only 2 versions of the xo3.... ). Target sells the 2007 version for about $54, so $34 is awfully cheap for it.

Another way to make sure it's the newest version is to check the lens. The 2007 models scrapped the tiros lens that the older models were equipped with. If the lens doesn't look like this: http://www.theledlight.com/img-inova/XO-lens.jpg then you've probably found a good deal.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
It's a good deal but there are brighter deals online. The Inova is a great tank like light but the decided to put a Luxeon K2(the 5.8 watt version you have) in there. If they used one of the newer LEDs, the will end up with double the output. It's a great store bought light though.

How does the Monarch compare to the X03?

:welcome:

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, which one appears brighter, the old version or the new? Since we can't rely on what they say on the package, it seems we just need to use our own eyes.

Neverready

Newly Enlightened
I went back to Fry's this morning and purchased the Inova XO3 with
the 5.8 watt led. I figured this was going to be a really bright light.
What a disappointment. I can't imagine this light being used for
tactical purposes. It lite up my bedroom pretty good if I was standing
in the door, but that was about it. It is no where near as bright as my
Fenix P3D Q5. Anyway, I played with it for a few minutes and noticed
that the light would switch from bright to dim for no reason. The first
thing I did was change the batteries and cleaned the contacts. This
did not fix the problem, so I packed it up and made another trip to Fry's.
It is now buried somewhere in their pile of returns.

Gaffle

Enlightened
You must have had a dud.

EDIT : Even if it wasn't a dud, I don't think it could have compared to the P3D Q5. Not in output.

Delij

Newly Enlightened
I was standing
in the door, but that was about it. It is no where near as bright as my
Fenix P3D Q5. Anyway, I played with it for a few minutes and noticed
that the light would switch from bright to dim for no reason. .
You must have gotten a bad light.
My XO3 does not have as bright a hot spot when wall hunting as my P1D Q5, but outdoors at night, from (say) 40 -50 yards the Q5 will still have a bright but small throw - say light up the top of a spruce tree, while the XO3 lights up the entire tree. As bright as the hot spot from the Q5? No, but I can see maybe 500% more of what I'm looking at.

It is for sure brighter with better throw and better color than my Brinkman Maxfire (xenon) and a home-made 3x123 xenon light...Overall best throw? My 3D Mag with a drop in LED module from Mag - The Mag lights up the building behind the green in my back yard from the Tee (Par 3, 160 yards). My guess is the building is another 30 yards or so beyond the green, so that's almost 600 feet and it's still putting a very bright spot on the building. But it's all one hot-spot (though at that distance it does spread out...I could probably putt if someone held the light at the tee and aimed it at the green). So the Mag is better for blinding a threat, but I still find the beam of the XO3 to be my best all around - out of about 20+ lights.

And for 100% certain, it is the best build light I own other than other Inovas - I have a gen2 and gen3 X-1 and two X-5s.

And no, nothing wrong with my Q5- it's noticeably brighter than my PD1 Q2 "Special Edition".

Peace,
D.