New Flashlight

fireant

Newly Enlightened
Been lurking here for awhile and would like some suggestions looking for two lights. I will be using them to work security as well as for personal use. I would like to not go over $120 for the primary and around $50 for my secondary light. I have thought of the Streamlight twin task with UV for checking ID's etc also have pondered getting the Pelican 7060. I have several friends who have streamlights scorpions or stingers cannot remember which they say are great lights but the bulbs cost alot to replace and do not last long so I would like to get a light that will last awhile before needing new bulb etc. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The two lights listed above are just two I was intially leaning toward however I am open for suggestions.

Thanks

Fireant

jbosman1013

Enlightened
:welcome: For your main light I would go with a surefire 6P or C2 with a BOG Q5 drop-in, that would be brighter and smaller than a pelican 7060. For your second light I would suggest a fenix P2D Q5, very bright and EDC frendly.

quatra2008

Newly Enlightened
+1 for the 6p (http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/889/sesent/00) with bog drop (http://www.bugoutgearusa.com/crq5drmo.html) in. thats in your budget and is very bright with a good beam. For a secondary i would suggest a Fenix p2d (https://www.fenix-store.com/index.php?cPath=22_69_51) small and easy to carry as a backup and is extremely bright with multiple levels for close up work where blinding bright light isn't needed. as for a uv light i have a cheap one from light hound that works pretty well and was only 7 dollars. (http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1543). Good luck on the search hope this helps - Lance

da.gee

Enlightened
I would second the 6P with BOG or Malkoff drop-in. Maybe even a Dereelight drop-in for a little less expense. I have 6P/Malkoff combo. It is very bright and has reasonably good throw.

You may even find the stock 6PL has enough light for your purposes. It is not a bad performer by any means.

I also have a P2D and can recommend it. Its small form factor, multi-level brightness, and very bright turbo output make it a useful tool. Very easy to stash anywhere and tailstands too.

I do not have experience with UV lighting.

fireant

Newly Enlightened
After much reading and some suggestions from the forum members am looking at the Fenix lights they look to fit my bill in both what I want and price.

However which two lights would you recommend need two one primary and one backup light.

fireant

Last edited:

jbosman1013

Enlightened
I got a P3D Q5 as a christmas present for my brother and IMO its perfect. It is amazingly bright in turbo and lower than low on low, plus it runs on RCR123's without a problem. For you second light you should get the LOD-CE or a ARC AAA to keep on your key ring. I have suggested fenix lights to friends and family that wanted a good light and none of them have been disappointed, It has also given me a good look at how much abuse a fenix can take and in some cases its alot.

wishywashy7

Enlightened
After much reading and some suggestions from the forum members am looking at the Fenix lights they look to fit my bill in both what I want and price.

However which two lights would you recommend need two one primary and one backup light.

fireant

As a bomber setup I would recommend the Fenix T1 as primary and P3D premium either Q5 or RB 100 as secondary.

A smaller setup would be a P3D as primary and a 1xCR123 P1D as backup

hope this helps:D

djblank87

Enlightened
@ fireant :welcome:

What kind of Security work are you doing?
Armed/Unarmed Security?
Are you indoors/outdoors or both?
Nightclub/Bouncer/Doorman type security?
Do you wear a duty belt?

A lot of the options listed above are great but depending on what type of security your doing the application intended of the light you might need/want will change.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
^those questions would help with the decision^

For now, it seems to be the P3D-CE Q5, T1, L2T V2.0, or L2D-CE Q5.

:welcome:

fireant

Newly Enlightened
I 98% of the time indoors and never armed. I am a bouncer/doorman working shifts checking ID's and then going up to work in the bar upstairs before rotating back to the door. I really enjoy the work eventually looking at going to be a State Trooper or another law enforcement type job.

However do alot of ID checking and often use the light in a dark bar type atmosphere had thought about a Pelican 7060 or Streamlight but after checking out a link a forum member posted on my topic about Fenix I really like the brightness and look of the light and the Fenix lights seem to be as good as the others not to mention more in my price range. Fenix also has great reviews from everyone here on the forums.

Hope this helps you to be better able to recommend a good flashlight. I appreciate everyones help.

fireant

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The L2D-CE Q5(Or the L2T V2.0, less output but simpler and has a forward clickie) would be good for your job. Multilevel, AA batteries, and good support from Fenix Store.

But it won't throw anywhere as far as the 7060(But that might be helpful indoors) and doesn't have cradle charging or a forward clickie.

But for LEO, you might want to stick the L2D as a backup. Use the Stinger and 7060 as your main lights.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also another interesting option is wolf eyes (pila) you can order a anything from a 2-4 cell light from them with a UV led tailcap, the lights can accept 18500 and 18650 cells which is a plus and can work with lumens factory bulbs I would assume bulbs like the sf p91 and 61 would fit in the 2 and 3 cell lights but I haven't tried it myself so I couldn't tell you for sure. One downside is that I've read that the led tailcap lens is easily broken. But if this seems like an option you can get one from pacific tactical solutions, the option for the uv tailcap doesn't show up on the site but I was told that you could request it in the additional comments area in checkout. I'm probably going to order one towards the end of the week. I'll let you know how it turns out.