Enlightened
Any bacon fans out there?
What is your favorite one?
Has anyone tried this one?

Benton's Smoky Mountain Country Hams
2603 Hwy. 411
Madisonville,TN
https://bentonshams.com/order/index.php

They are so overwhelmed they stopped taking orders!
If there are any CPF'ers in the Madisonville,TN area and could pick some up for me I would appreciate it. I think that in person is the only way to purchase any right now.

If you like smoky flavor this one can't be beat. Some have described it as "eating a campfire." It is great to add to recipies for some smoky bacon flavor.
http://www.fatherscountryhams.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CBS

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
Made a pile-o-bacon this morning to go with the pancakes & eggs -- I love bacon!

I have 3 little boys. One of them isn't much of a bacon fan, and another sort of, but the THIRD little boy doesn't consider it to be an actual breakfast unless it includes bacon. He's super skinny like me and probably has the same extra-low cholesterol gene too. Either way, fat is brain food for children under 10, right?

Whether I want it smokey kinda depends on the cut though. I like what my milkman delivers. It's Garfield of Meriden, NH. It's a corn-cob & hardwood smoked, sweetened bacon with a heavy smokey flavor. It does well if I cook it & leave it chewey. Crisp it up and the smoke flavor just gets too much for me, though my kiddies seem to like it.

My wife is a bacon addict too, but she claims she's always on a diet so she tries hard to avoid it.

Last edited:

Balcony12

Newly Enlightened
I know it's not in TN., but "The Market Grill" in Cedar City, UT easily has the best bacon I've ever had. If you can make it on a Thusday, when they have the Livestock auction, the bacon is really, really fresh;) It's absurdly thick and perfectly cooked. Just typing this message makes me want to drive the 6hrs just to get some:drool:

Enlightened
I rather like the Elm Hill brand hickory smoked bacon. It's got a fairly strong salty/smoky taste to it that makes it delicious fried up, IMHO.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
We mostly use Farmer John Center Cut Bacon and sometimes Oscar Mayer. I like beef, too. I absolutely love bacon and a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich has been one of my long time breakfast favorites. There's something called the "Bacon of The Month Club," if you're really interested in trying different artisan bacons from around the country.

Zot

Enlightened
Ah yes, the bacon of the month club.
As a matter of fact that is one of the places that led me to find the Benton's bacon I mentioned in my first post. Unfortuantely, Benton's is not taking any orders.

I am still hoping to find a cpf'er that is local to Madisonville,TN to help me get some. Anyone near there?

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
My favorite bacon is Cherry Pink.
http://www.jadeemeats.ca/bacon.html

It's produced by a meat processing company in Beamsville, Ontario.
They cater to the food service industry mostly but some of their products are stocked by the gourmet grocery stores in Southern Ontario.
I buy mine at the local Longo's Supermarket.
It's the same price as all those national brands but much higher in quality.

Makes the best BLT I've ever tasted.

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
Benton's is not taking any orders.

You can also order it from the Bacon of the Month Club. They're taking orders. Might be worth a phone call to the club/Grateful Palate to confirm?

Thanks for the links. Maybe I should sign up my 7-yr old bacon addict. Maybe that'd be a cool Christmas present. I mean, along with the marshmallow shooter he asked for. :)

Last edited:

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Benton's Smoky Mountain Country Hams
2603 Hwy. 411
Madisonville,TN
https://bentonshams.com/order/index.php

They are so overwhelmed they stopped taking orders!
If there are any CPF'ers in the Madisonville,TN area and could pick some up for me I would appreciate it. I think that in person is the only way to purchase any right now.

Hmm, I've driven by there a bunch of times. In fact I ate dinner in Madisonville last Saturday, but I'm back in Virginia now. Next time I'm down that way I'll have to stop by. I go by a couple times a year.

Banshee

Enlightened
For store-bought brands we only use Carando Cider House Bacon
I nice apple cider-y wood smoked product..

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love Bacon but I like Country Ham even better. Yummy

I hear Smithfield has a good name when it comes to pork products including bacon. I'm not sure if Smithfield is a brand name that relates to a region or a company but I do see their products advertised on specialty sights and I have eaten Smithfield Country hams and they are good. Hope this helps.

Gatsby

Enlightened
I love Bacon but I like Country Ham even better. Yummy

I hear Smithfield has a good name when it comes to pork products including bacon. I'm not sure if Smithfield is a brand name that relates to a region or a company but I do see their products advertised on specialty sights and I have eaten Smithfield Country hams and they are good. Hope this helps.

I cooked an old school country ham a few years ago for my in-laws on Thanksgiving. And I mean old school. Bought a dry cured ham and soaked/rinsed it over a three day period. Then slow cooked it for about 4 hours, sliced and carved. And they would not eat it...
:rolleyes:

DieselTech

Enlightened
I love bacon. Unfortunately, I'm about three hours west of Madisonville. I'll definitely try to remember them though, because my job sends me out that way every so often.

shakeylegs

Enlightened
Not sure of the name but the Polish American Delicateski in Concord California brings in a lot of smoked meats from Chicago and Europe. They have two kinds of slab bacon, smoked and heavy smoked, both delicious. Drier, not as greasy, as american style. Just a little adds so much flavor to any dish.
My favorite bacon recipe - Peanut butter and bacon sandwich on english muffin!

Zot

Enlightened
So when does your delivery start?
Do you know which ones you will get?
Please let us know what you think of the bacons you receive.
Don't forget to include some bacon shots! ;)

Bacon of the Month Club. Gotta love that concept.

(signed up for some)