Help with battery selection for E2L please

535sawby

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
I lost my older E2l recently and just bought a newer version. I have long contemplated rechargeables for this light as I use it for illuminating crawlspaces at work.
I am not familiar with all the terms and in searching past post on the subject I was thouroughly confused.
In laymans terms PLEASE, what (if any) is the best choice (price vs. runtime) of rechargables for this light as it comes new from Surefire?
Where is the best online place to get them?
Thanks much in advance.
Mike B

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it's the new Cree version, I see no problem with just using primary lithiums. For the price of one 17670 at Lighthound ($10.99) you could get six cr123s. In the new E2L, that gives you 45 hours of regulated light. I think as far as price versus runtime, this is difficult to beat.

Spence

Enlightened
Battery Junction steered me toward their "Tenergy" rechargeable, RCR123A, 3.0 V, 900mAh battery at $3.95 ea and the smart charger (required) for $12.95. I just started using them in my SF L1 & L2. No major problems except the tight fit (I removed the outside wrappers for the L2) and I'm getting THREE settings when there should only be two. That may straighten out after the batteries have cycled a half dozen times (as per instructions). Lights are plenty bright and no probs at all w/ L!.
As per someone else commenting on use of regular CR123's, I think I go along with that. I'm a retired Det/Sgt from a major city and subsisting on a disability pension. My SF budget comes from my lunch money and after the pricey investment, I get uneasy with all these rechargeables made in China. I use a number of different types of them in my cheaper lights, but I really hate to take chances with my SureFires. I just think of CR123 battery purchases as incidental to my hobby as my neighbor, a water skier filling his boat and big Chevy 4X4 with gasoline. Then my neighbor with his big motorhome w/ gas, maint, payments, ins, and storage. Sorry for the speech, but when you compare our modest hobby with others, it's not so expensive or outrageous. So buy a box of 50 CR123's for $48 at BJ, reload when you need to and be worry-free. Anyway that's my philosophy.
You really need to get an L1 CREE next, it's the best light I own.
Good luck.

:twothumbs :poke:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I got a 17650 and tube for mine at either lighthound or the sammige shoppe, probably the shoppe but can't remember which. Brightness is about the same either way really. I like the rechargeable option but sometimes I just return it to stock config and run primaries because it's looks nicer and has a clip.