NexStar (2)AA 1 Watt LS Mod

Joe400

Newly Enlightened
Frozen in Liquid Carbonite somewhere in Illinois
Let me start by saying that the DC to DC step-up converter used in this mod was not made by me. It was salvaged from an older AA M*glite that I got from ebay a while back so I don't really know who made it.

By the pictures below you can tell that its not a hard mod to do. The guts of the NexStar had to be removed but other than that I didn't have to do any modding to the actual flashlight body. The tail cap spring had to be cut down a bit in order to fit properly and not smash the batteries.

fc85a99e.jpg

I added an aluminum heat sink with a Q3 LD 1 watt luxeon emitter.

fc85a99f.jpg

NexStar (2)AA flashlight gutted out completely.

fc85a9a2.jpg

Heat sink fits nice and snug against the flashlights body in order to help tranfer any heat.

fc85a9a3.jpg

Now my NexNeedle has a little brother. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

fc85a9a5.jpg

NexStar AA (Left) Arc LS (Right)

The NexStar AA produced a very nice white beam and brighter hot spot.

ufokillerz

Enlightened
looks good, i'm looking into making my own nexneedle and microdragon =), i have 4 nexstar 2C's and 2 nexstar 2AA's coming, now i just have to befriend the local machinists =)

moraino

Enlightened
Did you made that heatsink? Or it's made by your friend.

It looks very round and perfectely fit as well. I hope someone shed some light on how to make one using regular home power tool.

moraino

Enlightened
Wow, it sure looks like it's done by a machine.

I guess it's a 1/16 alu and you draw a circle and cut a rough plate close to the line. Then you patiently place the plate against the grinding whell untill it meets the line.

Please share the detail. I haven't got the guts to made plates for my two MAG 3D. Is it enough thinckness for 1/16"? thanks for sharing your work. Boy, I still think it's done by machine cause it's so ROUND.

Henry

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
very good looking mod. agree, it looks like the heatsink was machined. Very good job.

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you have any issues fitting the optics in there?

As to a source for pre-made step up converters, the micro pucks are (I think) the cheapest option right now. If you're not already aware of them check www.ledsupply.com.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Very clean mod Joe! And it looks bright as heck, wonder who the board maker was?

Joe400

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
StoneDog said:

Did you have any issues fitting the optics in there?

As to a source for pre-made step up converters, the micro pucks are (I think) the cheapest option right now. If you're not already aware of them check www.ledsupply.com.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used a standard NX-05 lens, it fits nicely and gives a tight beam. I also cut down the original reflector which works well and produces a flood type beam but not as bright.

Thanks for the info on the Micro Puck.

Joe400

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Mr Bulk said:

Very clean mod Joe! And it looks bright as heck, wonder who the board maker was?

[/ QUOTE ]

What can I say? I was inspired by the master. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mr Bulk's Mods RULE! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Thanks,