M3, M6, or?

tsl

Enlightened
I'm thinking about getting a bump in the night light. I already have an A2 which handles most of my needs, but I'm thinking a brighter incan that I can use both inside as well as outside will make a welcome addition.

Being partial to SF, the M3 looks good, and a search here has given positive feedback on the light. I tried out the light at a local store and found it well-balanced and good fitting in the hand. I didn't like the C3.

Looking at lumens and run time however, I could go with a M6. Either the MN20 (250 lumens for 60 minutes) or the MN15 (125 lumens for 2.5 hours) would beat the M3 for the same number of batteries used (2x3 for the M3). Tradeoff is a beefier and more expensive light.

Another option would be either a 6P w/extender and P90 or a 9P.

Staying with SF for now, what would you recommend? I'm talking about bright enough to light up most of a room inside the house (should have good spill) and enough throw outside to clearly illuminate an object 50-75 yards away. It should be noticeably brighter than the A2. Because it would be an occasional light, sticking with primaries is fine.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Since this will be used in the home, I think you'd be better off getting as many lumens as possible from the light. If the barrel of the M6 is not too thick for your hands, get it. I doubt you'll regret it. (Sadly, it's too thick for me. So I hope to get an M4 instead).

If this was a light that would do double duty as both a carry-light and a Bump-in-the-night light, I'd recommend the 9P or 6P w/ extender. As far as 3-cell models go, and since this won't be a carry-light, the M3 would be a better option. (Why not get the benefit of the shock-isolation bezel in case you might drop the light?)

If an M6 is indeed too thick for you to hold comfortably, go for the M3 instead.

Lightguy27

Enlightened
Well, Given all the options I would reccommend the M3. You say that you like the light and that it is well balanced, along with it's optional but INCLUDED 225 lumen beam I think that It would be a great bump in the night light. Good luck and Best Regards!

-Evan

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
tsl,

I would recommend the M6 over the M3, and I've never used an M4. The MN15 in the M6 is NOTICEABLY brighter than the A2, and acts almost like a regulated light for an hour or so--no dimming, then only gradual dimming for the next hour after that. If the A2 is 75 lumens, then the MN15 in M6 is 200 in my estimation.

The M6 is an awesome, awesome light. There's definitely something about it. You can't go wrong, and if you decide you don't like it, the M6's always sell decently on B/S/T from what I've seen.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
As others have said, the M3 with MN10 is only moderately brighter with moderately more throw than the A2. If you plan to use the MN11, the difference is more noticable. You will however get the most pronounced improvement by getting a light with a turbohead. The M6 smokes my A2's in the throw department.

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I second Size15s. Get the M6. I love mine very much. It is the go-to light for a bump-in-the-night light for me. Plus, with the option of the MN15 Lamp Assembly, it is still very bright at app. 200 lumens with app. 2.5 hrs runtime. Or the MN20 with 250 lumens for 1hr. Or the MN21 with 500 lumens for 20 min. Also, the tactical momentary tailcap on the M6 is the most responsive of all Surefire tactical momentary tailcaps, IMHO. You will not regret buying the M6.

Team Member

Enlightened
Both the M6 and M3 are very nice lights but I think that you should take the M3T into consideration. It handles like the M3 and you have a good amount of throw if needed.

Indoors I think that the M6 is a bit overkill. I rather use an M3 inside or just a L1.
Outdoors nothing beats the M6 with MN20 or MN21. MN15 is great for the walk-your-dog-in-the-park.

But as I mentioned earlier, take a good look at the M3T.

Or do as I, buy them all :D

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
I say go for the M6. You're tempted to get an M6, so it'll be hard to resist getting one for long. You'll just end up getting it eventually because in the back of your mind, you'll always be wondering, "Should I...???"

True, the M6 isn't the most versatile or most practical light...but I very rarely hear about disappointed M6 owners. Like JS said, the MN15 bulb is a welcome addition to the M6 as this allows a bit more flexibility for using your light. If you only intend to use it purely for those "bump in the night" moments, nothing lights up a room like the MN21 bulb! :thumbsup:

And then, of course...once you get one M6, it'll be tempting to get another! hehe.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would have to give my vote to the M6. (Question: Is getting MN20 lamp assemblies still problematic?) An M6 with MN21 lamp assembly is incredibly bright and an amazing thrower. This is my go-to light for all instances where I even remotely think I might want a "blaster" of a light. It's light-weight and packs easy!

EV_007

Enlightened
You can't go wrong with the M6, however, the M3T CB should be considered as well.

The size and guilt-free option makes for a very good package. I find that using a weapon in conjunction with the M3T CB works very well for me.

I run mine on 2x17670s with an A19 extender. The beam throws just as far as the M6, but not as wide of a beam.

The M6 cannot be denied either. Get both if you have the inclination.

turkdc

Newly Enlightened
I personally don't like the thickness of the M6 as my fingers are on the stubby side. I do LOVE my M4! It throws out more than enough light to see whats going on anywhere in my house or yard and is very comfortable in my hand.

I have used it on several "bump in the night" occasions only to find one of the cats climbing around on the counter top.

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I second Size15s. Get the M6. I love mine very much. It is the go-to light for a bump-in-the-night light for me. Plus, with the option of the MN15 Lamp Assembly, it is still very bright at app. 200 lumens with app. 2.5 hrs runtime. Or the MN20 with 250 lumens for 1hr. Or the MN21 with 500 lumens for 20 min. Also, the tactical momentary tailcap on the M6 is the most responsive of all Surefire tactical momentary tailcaps, IMHO. You will not regret buying the M6.

Nice avatar :)

ugrey

Enlightened
Get an M6. There is no other primary batteried light like it. It will make all your other lights seem dim. View it as a 10 year investment and then it seems much cheaper. When I travel or spend the night away from home, it is among the 1% of things that I own, that must go with me. Go check prices on Ebay and this boards B/S/T. You will not be sorry.

I just bought a used M3 because I have wanted one for 4 years. I knew exactly what I was getting. I have had a thing for them since I saw the '02 SF catalog. Be warned, the M3 High Output bulb is not any brighter to the eye than a P91. You can get a G3, 9P or a C3 a whole lot cheaper, and you get the same amount of light. The M3 head is huge compared to a P series head. You will want to put your light in your pocket at some point. I would not recomend a M3.

I also just recently got an M4. I live in the city with alot of ambient light and I don't see much difference between it's HO bulb and the M6 HO bulb. I would definately get an M4 over an M3, if M6/hand size is a problem.

You might also look at what I call a 12P (9p+extender+12V Lamp Assembly). They have good throw and a wall of light. Great for indoors and out. They fit well into briefcases and pockets. These cost about $110 to put together and you can always add a SF Turbo Head.

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
You might also look at what I call a 12P (9p+extender+12V Lamp Assembly). They have good throw and a wall of light. Great for indoors and out. They fit well into briefcases and pockets. These cost about $110 to put together and you can always add a SF Turbo Head.
Careful when making up names that they don't get confused with existing products such as the 12PM :p

SunStar

Enlightened
M3 and M6 are apples and oranges to me. I wouldn't consider them at all for the same purpose. The M6 IS the "ULTIMATE" bump in the night light whether equipped with the MN15, MN20 or MN21 - they're all good and better than what you will get out of the M3.

When I need "M3" level of light I find myself always reaching for my 9Z modified with Pyrex anti-roll bezel and LOTC. It is way smaller than the M3 and output from the P90 / P91 will rival that of the MN10 / MN11. If you don't need a combat grip, then I think you would be better served by the 9P if you are considering the M3. A shock isolated bezel can be added to the 9P if needed and it is still smaller than the M3.

The M3 for me was kind of a "lost soul". I'd always reach for the 9Z or C3 and if I needed more, I went for the M4 or M6 leaving the M3 shelved and lonely. It wasn't until I mounted the M3 / Z48 to a carbine that I really appreciated the M3 for what it was. It's a combat light after all and that is where if performs best for me (not to imply that I regularly see combat but referencing use application). It's size, weight and build attributes make sense to me for this type application. And its balance of flood / throw is just perfect for me when mounted to a rifle.

I know that I am probably in the minority here, but for me, when needing a hand-held incandescent... it's either the 9Z (or variant) or the M4 / M6 for serious light applications. I finally "understood" the M3 when I applied it as a weapons mount and very much appreciate the M3 when used accordingly.

tsl

Enlightened
I'm glad I asked! The majority have spoken "M6," so I will go to a nearby SF store in the next couple days and check one out and see how it fits in my hand.

A couple of you also posted that the 9P or a 6P with extender would really be as bright to the eye as a M3. mdocod said that a P91 would have a nice floody beam indoors. Can I assume that the throw of a 9P would not be as good as a M3? How far could a 9P throw?

From your comments, it looks like M6 > 9P or 6P w/extender > M3.