Self-cleaning razor

Doh

Newly Enlightened
Which brand and model do you recommend? Or do you recommend against it and prefer something else? I'm thinking of getting one. Thanks in advance for the advices. :)

Marduke

Flashaholic
I think it's a sales gimic. I personally don't like mine. They take a special cleaning fluid, which is mostly isopropyl rubbing alcohol and it evaporates eventually. The base station is bulky, and seems to often get bumped with the cord of the wife's hair dryer, making a mess of mineral oil, alcohol, and hair shavings. :thumbsdow

I would recommend getting the type where the cover and/or blades opens or pops out so you can simply rinse them off in the sink when needed. It's what I used before, and what I'll go back to eventually. Blast those unwanted Christmas presents of yesteryear!!!

Eric_M

Enlightened
Unless you're completely sold on an electric come on over to www.badgerandblade.com

Tons of great info on wet shaving.

It'll change the shaving experience for you.

I'm "Mer" over there.

Eric

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use the Braun 360. I do have to keep the cleaning thingy out of the way so it doesn't get knocked. Like Marduke said about whatever kind he has too, the fluid spills way too easily if the thing gets knocked even just a bit. That's a pain, but it sure is nice to have a sparkling clean razor every day. I'm over 40 and still dealing with some occasional acne (maybe it's my high-cholesterol diet -- see "bacon" thread. Hehe. Now where'd I put my glass of full-fat eggnog?) and my skin is more clear since using the alcohol-cleaned razor.

A few times a month I go back to using my favorite shaver which is an old double-edged probably cheap gold-plated Gillette that I inherited from my dad. It must be from about 1940 but it's hefty and works great. Much closer shave than the electric razor, so it cleans everything up and seems to train my beard to go the right direction. I do computer support for some salons so I get to use some pretty nice creams for a not-too-hefty price. I'm currently using a Kiehls (site is broken at the moment -- I didn't set it up!!!) brushless that's mint and for sensitive skin. Really nice if you like that sort of thing.

Last edited:

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just started using a brush and mug soap (cheap Williams soap from Wallys) and it is well worth it!

Now, after seeing this web page I can imagine I will be getting different shaving soap as it appears the Williams lacks mositurizer. Def. glad i went this route!!

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've tried the newest Panasonic from The Sharper Image, the Arc IV Nano, I believe, and I was shocked at close it shaved. My face felt blade-shave close. I don't think it comes with one of those cleaning stations with special liquids, either. If I'm not mistaken, you just run the head under the faucet to wash out the hairs. It'd be nice if they sold that particular model at places other than the Sharper Image, but they don't (not yet, at least). I've also heard a lot of good things about the new Braun Pulsonic. I currently use a blade, but after having tried the one from The Sharper Image, I may switch over!

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use the Braun Activator, which I believe is the generation prior to the Braun 360. It works much better for me than the Norelco rotary shaver that I tried before (the Speed XL, which was very disappointing). But I think that the main difference was going from a rotary to a liner shaver, which works better with my beard. The self-cleaning feature is nice but not essential. I keep the charging/cleaning station outside of the bathroom to avoid collisions and spills.

I tried going back to a cartridge-type blade a few years ago, but it did not work well at all. The blades for razors like the Gillette Mach 3 were shockingly expensive, too. I've noticed that the modern blade enthusiasts are into using the old-type safety razors, which use generic blades that are much less expensive.

Eric_M

Enlightened
The blades for razors like the Gillette Mach 3 were shockingly expensive, too. I've noticed that the modern blade enthusiasts are into using the old-type safety razors, which use generic blades that are much less expensive.

That's the way I went. $.10 a blade is an offer I couldn't refuse. I purchased 2 years worth of blades for under $11.00 shipped. These are name brand too, not generic.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup... Ihave a sickness!!!

I Just placed an order for the $4.99 house brand mug SC. I can't wait to use it!!!

I just started using a brush and mug soap (cheap Williams soap from Wallys) and it is well worth it!

Now, after seeing this web page I can imagine I will be getting different shaving soap as it appears the Williams lacks mositurizer. Def. glad i went this route!!

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a Braun 5441 which is about 5 or 6 years old now. It still works fine and I change the foil and blades every 2 years or so.
I buy the cleaning cartridges in bulk when I find them going cheap. A little while ago the local chemist had them half price and so I bought about 10 boxes of two. Should last me another couple of years. About once a year I take the head off and give it a good brush to clean the bits in the corners that the fluid doesn't reach but the foil and blades are always nice and clean. I press the Charge button about once every three months and that's after 6 years use !!!. Pretty good cells in the Braun I guess. IF it ever does break I'd get another Braun but at the moment it still looks and works like new.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I have the self cleaning Braun too. I found that the cleaning fluid evaporates in about a month even if you don't use it. I also found that 99% pure alcohol is ony $1 at the store, and I can extend the life of the cartridge by many months by adding an ounce or two.

I do like the braun. I must, as I've owned several of them.

Daniel

Doh

Newly Enlightened
Thank you everyone for you input! I'm still confused to what I want to get. :thinking:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I realize I'm going a bit off-topic, but could you replace the rechargeable batts in a shaver? I'm thinking it would be possible.:popcorn:

Dudemar

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a vague recollection that for the Braun self-cleanings you need to torque a piece of plastic that looks like a large screwhead in order to crack open the case. After that you can replace the batteries fairly easily coupla standard AA or something like that), but I sorta vaguely recall that the plastic screw-like thing necessarily gets broken in the process and requires a factory part to replace the whole unit to click back together.

Maybe someone can clarify who has a better memory than mine (not hard to beat my memory). I'm just offering this as a warning before you go ahead & turn that plastic screw at the base.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I did take one Brawn rechargeable shaver apart. Yes, it was easy to disassemble, and yes, the fastener was sacrificed when I opened it. I was mainly interested in how it was made.

I also (just for grins) filtered the gunk from a Braun "Clean and Renew" cleaning cartridge a few minutes ago. I simply poured the gray fluid from the cartridge through a coffee filter and let it drip into a disposable cup. I was amazed at how many bits of whiskers were trapped in the fluid after 6 months. It came out of the filter nice and clear and only an ounce short of the proper level when I poured it back into the cartridge. A little 99% alcohol and I was back in business.

At $5 per cartridge they are a bit pricey since they go dry in less than two months. I could easily stretch one out for a year if they became hard to find again.

Despite the need for the cleaning cartridges, I bought a new one when my old charge and clean base broke, so I must like the Braun shavers,

Daniel