Could use help from other CPFers, please.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Hi guys, I could really use your help with something. I didn't put this in the "knives" sub-forum because this isn't about the knife pictured below. It's about human observation. I'd really appreciate it if you guys would indulge me, and post your observations about the knife pictured below.... without knowing anything else about it.

(Those of you who are familiar with this knife, please keep any details about it to yourself. At least for now).

P.S. - No, this isn't an experiment for a science project. I'm just curious about basic, human observation.

Thanks, in advance. :)

Please see post #63 in this thread for link to pic.

Last edited:

Empath

Flashaholic
It's like listening to the notes

Do, Re, Mi, Fa, So, La, Ti
or perhaps Do, Re, Mi, Fa, So, La

turkdc

Newly Enlightened
I would be concerned about the knife sliding out through the bottom of the sheath and, since there doesn't appear to be a retaining strap to fasten to the snap, possible sliding out of the top of the sheath.

The knife itself looks pretty cool. I would use it to open boxes and whatnot.

Valolammas

Enlightened
Well, first of all, it looks like a home-made knife (tape-wrapped handle, looks a bit rough and stained etc., probably carbon steel). Second, it looks like a larger knife that has had its tip snapped off. The blade is mostly straight. The tip looks pretty sharp, but the blade is so wide it probably wouldn't be a good stabbing tool. I don't like the way the tip pokes out of the sheath. You could injure yourself with it, and it does look like it could fall through the sheath. The sheath has one half of a snap button, but not the other half of it. The blade has an odd V-shaped notch between the handle and the blade. Doesn't look particularly useful and doesn't appeal to me, personally. It kind of looks like a mini-scimitar from Thousand and One Nights.

If you are looking at the order we list things, I actually looked at the handle first, then the tip and then the blade itself.

Greta

Flashaholic
I see two different knives together in the same picture. One in its sheath and one out.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I see two different knives together in the same picture. One in its sheath and one out.

Comments on both would be greatly appreciated, fair serving wench. :D

EDIT: Hmm.... Maybe I should have left out the word "Basic."

Last edited:

fredb

Newly Enlightened
I've studied the picture far longer than I probably should have. The only thing that I can see is that the area around the button is "noisy" and appears that it might have been added digitally.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
looks homemade, looks like a good brush chopping knife. Not crazy about the sheath.

I will say that the even shadow around all the parts is a bit odd.

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like a pretty functional knife, but nothing collectible. It has a machete look to it, as well. The 'two' knives look like the same knife to me.

DM51

Flashaholic
Possibilities:
1. You tried to lever up a manhole cover with it, and the end snapped off.
2. It got into a fight with another blade that was sharper.
3. The elephant objected to the attempted vasectomy.

Flashlight Enthusiast
To me it looks like a nice simple work knife, the handle appears to be some type of grip tape wrap similar to a hockey stick. It's got a simple slightly curved blade with a stout tip that has a cropped point with little penetrating edge, the sheath doesn't seam to cover the tip of the knife, so that is a concern looks unfinished.

I like it unfinished like that, seems like a nice knife to take into an icy forest for a hunting or camping trip.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. Why is there the male side of a snap on the sheath?

2. Why is there a lanyard on the knife-tip end of the sheath? FredB's comment about the 'button' being digitally added look like they could apply to the loop of lanyard poking through the sheath.

:buddies:

Gaffle

Enlightened
I am going for

1. Homemade.

2. I believe it has a tape handle.

3. It looks like it is made from 1 piece of metal, won't break easy.

And finally, I think this guy might use this knife as a backup!:eek:

250px-Jasonf.jpg

Tubor

Enlightened
ROFL on the above post!

I think maybe the they were made out of the same blade or something (I'm not a knife expert)?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
1. Why is there the male side of a snap on the sheath?

2. Why is there a lanyard on the knife-tip end of the sheath? FredB's comment about the 'button' being digitally added look like they could apply to the loop of lanyard poking through the sheath.

:buddies:

1- I honestly could not answer that question.

2- Please see above.

I would like to add that the knife itself is real. Not created with Photoshop. If the pic was touched up before I found it, it was most probably done to shrink the file size of the pic. There is nothing about the pic itself that is designed to fool the human eye. It is, what it is.... A pic that I would like others to comment on.

Marlite

Enlightened
Not a knife guy but the bottom lanyard has to loop back and a hidden strap with a snap holds it secure to keep the knife from falling through. Everything else is conjecture or covered already.
What's the prize?

marlite.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
They look like they could cut forever and then some in the right hands. If someone knows how to use one of those I suspect it would be a real winner. Not that I know a thing or two about knives or anything...