Surefire L1 Cree + beamshaper question

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
l've got an L1 Cree and put a 2AA Mag filter/beamshaper on the end of it and really like the new beam. The only problem is that the Mag cap fits kind of loose on the L1.

Does the Surefire beamshaper fit snugly on the new L1?

Can anyone tell me if the beam would be similar with the Surefire beamshaper vs the Mag one I've got now?

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Put it in boiling water for a few seconds then quickly stick it back on the L1 while it cools. It could work, or it could destroy it totally! If it were mine I'd give it a shot.:shrug:

woodfluter

Newly Enlightened
Yes, the SF 04 beamshaper fits perfectly, snug enough to stay on but not a pain to remove. It gives a very even flood and is absolutely worth having with the new Cree L1, especially if you want to use it as a do-everything light.

I wish they'd sell some kind of little snug case for it, however, because it might get damaged or scratched up, being a plastic lens and all. I have used a small screw-top pill container for the purpose - the older opaque kind rather than the newer clear kind. Maybe I'm just OCD...

prof

Enlightened
I use a beamshaper on my older L1. It will get loose if you remove and replace it several times. However, I have an easy fix (and might fix the beamshaper you already have)--get a little girl's hairband and wrap it around the bezel several times! Works great. I prefer the clear plastic ones. Since I have a 5-year-old daughter, I've got a built-in supply. However, they're cheap anyway.

woodfluter

Newly Enlightened
I use a beamshaper on my older L1. It will get loose if you remove and replace it several times.

Well, mine is about one year old, has been used a lot on the older L1, and the newer L1-CE, plus a few times on the HDS EDC which is slightly fatter, and it is still tight! Don't know why the difference. Maybe yours is older and they improved the rubber compound?