Help Me Decide....

Confederate

Enlightened
I balked at paying sixty bucks for my P3D CE flashlight when it first came out. Now I just can't seem to bring myself to pay almost seventy bucks for a P3D Q5. I keep being tempted by those cheaper lights over at DX.

At issue is the VB-16 Q5. It has 16 modes, HA-III finish, larger flashhead and the Q5, of course. And it's only thirty bucks. I know the Fenix is great quality and all that, but wouldn't the VB-16 be a bigger bang for the buck? I want plenty of brightness, but I also want impossibly long runtimes at lower levels. That's actually more important than the brightness.

A third option is to just buy another P3D CE for a modest savings. But I think maybe the higher levels of low level light at the same runtimes might be nice.

So help me decide. What will I be losing by going cheap? I like the Fenix, but I do like the somewhat larger flashhead of the VB-16. I'm hampered by the fact that no one's actually seen one, nor are the runtimes known.

vb_16_1.jpg

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Some of the lights DX sells are bargains..... Some of the things they sell are just straight up junk. And sometimes, it's not so easy to tell which is which. By going cheap, you sacrifice quality. And sometimes, reliability.

p1fiend

Newly Enlightened
The Fenix is well worth it and you won't regret it.

Also, the resounding cheers for 4sevens and his service should be the nail in the coffin, er the hand that takes the money out of your wallet :crackup:

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really, I don't think there is much point in buying a P3D Q5 if you allready have a P3D. I'll confess that I havent tried either, but I making an educated guess on that you'll hardly notice the difference(unless you compare the lights directly, but in real world use, not so much difference). You might allready know this, but for the human eye to notice difference in lumens, the increase must be huge, like twice the amount of light. If the lights are identical otherwise, there's not that much point IMHO to just go for another emitter(if you have to buy the whole light). Get a different light with a different beam or functions.
The VB that you've picked looks really interesting, and of high quality. I think it's the same light (but later version) of a CPF Special light. It was sold at significantly higher price before.
Search for the different Vari-Brite models at FLR if you want some reviews on the older lights.
http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews_index/reviews_by_mfgrs.htm

Another bargain-light form dx is the WF-600, it has almost only got good reviews and the build quality is supposedly excellent. Larger than the p3d though, and not a EDC light, but will blow it away when it comes to throw.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6951
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2136125

Confederate

Enlightened
P3D Q5 is only $62.10 shipped :poke:
Ummm...not to quibble, but it's $67.50, but who's counting.

Lobo: Thanks for the info. I'm looking for two lights, one for my bug-out bag. As to the brightness being almost unnoticable, that's why I was considering another CE over the Q5. The CE also comes with two batteries, so it's that much more of a draw. But tell me. At lower light levels, does the Q5 put out noticably more light? If I can get a noticable kick, I might yet go for the P3D Q5. The VB-16 is just shipping now, so I should know soon how good it is. The best deals I've gotten at DX have been the HAIII models. There's a little twisty, one-cell, gray with clip (HAIII) that's particularly good.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
^after using "CPF8" coupon^

The VB-16 Seoul has been discussed in this thread. According to the thread, it's a pretty good deal. The Q5 version is probably just a LED swap so it should have the same quality as the Seoul version.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
...I want plenty of brightness, but I also want impossibly long runtimes at lower levels. That's actually more important than the brightness....
[emphasis added]

Fenix circuits are known for being very efficient. If that is important to you, you probably would be happy with the Fenix in the long run. You get what you pay for.

EugeneJohn

Newly Enlightened
I've had similar feelings. "Is it worth the difference in price!?!"

To put it in perspective, the difference of thirtyish bucks, over a year is less than ten cents a day. For a tool that you will use for many, many years, it seems a small price to pay.

Take a pass on one of those fancy coffee drinks once a week, or if you are like me, don't have that fourth pint at the bar and you'll have 'paid off' the difference between the lights in no time.

Or you can always take the standard CPF advice, when in doubt, buy both. ;)

Confederate

Enlightened
Thanks, all, for the advice. And I didn't know about the CPF discount. It's a good thing I posted this. Now it's getting interesting!

MstrHnky

Enlightened
Another bargain-light form dx is the WF-600, it has almost only got good reviews and the build quality is supposedly excellent. Larger than the p3d though, and not a EDC light, but will blow it away when it comes to throw.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6951
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2136125

wouldn't a q5 be better than a q2 version?

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.8672

i ordered the wf-600 q5 yesterday, i needed a thrower. how long will it take to receive?

MstrHnky

Enlightened
2-5 weeks, depending on when it ships and where you live.

ok. i'm waiting on that light (WF-600 Q5 LED 2 Stage) and the JetBeam CL-E v2 from bugoutgear.com.

bugout had the cl-e v2 as coming back in stock first on november 23rd, then on november 30th, and now the site says dec. 5th. :(

i guess i have no choice but to wait for BOTH of my new lights. oh, and my xbox 360 RROD'd, so i'll be waiting for that to come back from microsoft too.

The end of december should see at least 3 important packages show up at my house... all for me. :grin2:

Last edited:

Confederate

Enlightened
Thanks for all the comments. I already bought DX's LumaPower MRV and another DX light, and those are the only "throwers" I need. The value of a good flashlight is when you might be in a survival mode, or if you just need enough light to read by. In a pinch, you can roll a single sheet of white paper around the barrel and get a nice dispersion.

I think I'll get another P3D because I trust the electronics and it's easy to carry. I also have a P2D which I carried briefly. Then I got that DX HAIII gray CREE single 123A light and some recargables. Didn't need the various modes.

Still, can't wait to see the VB-16s. By the time they get in stock, I may have some more $$$.