which DEREE DBS??

SaVaGe

Enlightened
there are 3 Deree DBS to choose from:
  1. 2SM(2-stage mutipower) module: 1x18650, 2xCR123A, 2xRCR123.
  2. 1S(1-Stage) module: 1x 18650.
  3. 2SD(2-Stage digital) module: 1x 18650.
which one is the best one to buy and why. X-mas is close by.

As for the battery, all i have is 123's but no problem if i have to order an 18650.

thanks

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Totally go with #1! 2 levels and the battery flexability! Get a 18670 and a charger that way you can use the rechargeable first and in an emergency follow it up with primaries.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want the brightest, go for one of the digital modules. I think there will be a 1 stage, 2 stage, and 3 stage. These drive the Q5 at 1.2A. The multi-power module doesn't drive the Q5 as hard and won't be as bright.

Get an 18650 or two (if you want a spare) and a charger from AW. :) 18650's rule, just make sure they are protected, and most here trust AW's the most. You can find his for sale thread on the dealer forum on CPFM.

mdocod

Flashaholic
I think the multi-power source modules probably drop out of regulation on single 18650 cells, where the modules designed only for an 18650 will probably hold in regulation the whole time.

Personally, for a light like this, the 1 stage is preferable in my opinion, my reasoning is quite simple: what on earth are you going to use a superthrower for that you need low mode for? You want to light up that thing over there, but not too much? yeah right. Unless you are thinking about using this to poke around in the house at night (which it isn't designed for at all) you'll be better served by the single stage as "high" will be the mode you are always trying to get to anyways. Multi-mode modules are good for "jack-of-all" lights that have a more balanced beam pattern.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with mdocod.

I bought a DBS with the 3 stage digital Q4. For a super-thrower there just isn't much use for low, and absolutely zero use for medium. I bought it because at the time it was the only one with flat flat 18650 regulation. I plan on buying a CL1H soon, and I'm going to buy it with a 1 stage digital Q2 @ 1.2A :grin2:. Then I'll switch the pills on the CLH1 and the DBS.

SaVaGe

Enlightened
I think the multi-power source modules probably drop out of regulation on single 18650 cells, where the modules designed only for an 18650 will probably hold in regulation the whole time.

Personally, for a light like this, the 1 stage is preferable in my opinion, my reasoning is quite simple: what on earth are you going to use a superthrower for that you need low mode for? You want to light up that thing over there, but not too much? yeah right. Unless you are thinking about using this to poke around in the house at night (which it isn't designed for at all) you'll be better served by the single stage as "high" will be the mode you are always trying to get to anyways. Multi-mode modules are good for "jack-of-all" lights that have a more balanced beam pattern.

Very good point i never even thought of this. Will the stage 1 (always on high) will drive the emmiters at 1.2A like the digital modules??? if so, i think i made my decision.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Zenster

Enlightened
Everyone is overlooking the obvious.
What I did was to order the DBS with the digital module which is brigher but runs only on the 18650 battery, and with it I ordered the 2SM module as a backup so I can change it out if I need to run off of CR123's during power outages when I can't charge the 18650.
The digital module is just as bright and throwy as the single stage, but the lower power settings allow for lots and lots of runtime when you just don't need the high beam.

You get the best of both worlds for only about $30 or so more.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with Zenster, if you can swing it, buy both. :) I have a growing collection of Dereelight pills. :)

5.0Trunk

Enlightened
I know this is an older thread but since I have picked up a DBS w/2SM, I have yet to see any runtime charts for the 2SM using primaries or 18650s. I know the non-digtal pills are best used with CR123s but can also use the 18650s.

Thanks

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem with the 2SM pills with Q5's and 18650's is if you have a Q5 with a higher Vf, you won't get as much current to it once the voltage of the 18650 drops below the Vf of the Q5. This isn't as issue with 2xCR123's. The 1SD, 2SD, 3SD pills are designed to draw more current from the 18650's as their voltage drops so the circuit can deliver enough voltage and current to the Q5 to keep it running at max power.

5.0Trunk

Enlightened
Thanks WadeF.

I guess I'll be spending some more money getting a smooth reflector and a digital pill so I can use 18650s.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast

+1

garence

Newly Enlightened
The more I read about 18650's, the more I'm leaning towards using them. The easiest way to try them out is getting a light that'll handle 18650's and CR123's (e.g. Regalight WT1). The lux output on some lights using them is really amazing. I feel ridiculous having scoffed at them earlier on account of costs. :eek: DSD charger is ~$7 shipped and will auto shut-off (although I would never leave the batteries in for hours beyond their max charging point).

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Garence, I'm really glad I got into using 18650 batteries. I went with AW's protected 18650's and the Ultrafire charger he sells. I didn't want to mess around as you don't want a 18650 to go BOOM on you. :) The investment was totally worth it.

taiji

Enlightened
I have the 3 stage pill. I will replace this sometime later with a single stage for the same reason as mentioned above. It is a light for pure throw after all. Another thing that bugs me with multiple stage pill is that when using the momentary switch in sucession, as in signaling, the light cycles through different levels.