help with my gladius

fireluvrandrew

Newly Enlightened
Well, my upgraded gladius came from ordergear.com about 3 weeks after ordering. I got it out of the box, wasnt that impressed with brightness. I promptly took it out that night on patrol and WOW!! I love this light! its perfect, I almost want to make it my primary light!! However, I have one issue. I bought the blackhawk gladius flashlight holder http://www.brightguy.com/products/Gladius_Flashlight_Holder.php
I carry it bezel down. Here came the problem, I put the light in the lock-out mode, and stuck it in the holder. Several times during the night, I noticed the light was on via the little hole in the holder that lets light through so you know if your light is on. I couldnt figure out what was activating the light. I have activated my old lights that dont have lockout just from getting in and out of the patrol car, however the light was DEFFINATELY locked out! Whats going on? there were no magnets around nothing, any possible solutions? When i carried it bezel up, it was fine however, im afriad of scratching the lens, so i want to carry bezel down. Please help me!!
Thanks

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless your partner is screwing with you or he's magical (and screwing with you) your probably turning the tailcap enough to engage the light, my suggestion is to turn it even farther out.

Your sig is funny, but I don't think Sasha or certain others will like it. Be warned while I have nothing against you they probably do.

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
You cannot change the lock-out on the Gladius. It's one fixed position.

And in my experience, you can easily push the light out of lock-out if you holster carry, especially if you're, erm, not really the skinny type ;). I'm fairly large ;) myself, and it happened fairly often. The selector ring on the Gladius catches easily on stuff you rub against.

Some advices based on my experiences with this holster and light: If you can, maybe switch the holster onto the other side of your body (I know, probably not realistic in your line of work).

You can adjust the position of the holster on the plate that attaches to the belt. The light holder part attaches with three screws to the plate, which has numerous throughholes for different mounting points and positions. Carrying the light at a tilt, or even horizontally, might work for you.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like you'll have to carry it bezel up, which means you'll have to get an FM34 for it. Oh darn. :)

Kidding aside, I don't know why that would happen. Magnets were my first thought, but you stated there aren't any around. I can't explain it.

fireluvrandrew

Newly Enlightened
yes its quite curious, because when I find the light on its still in lockout mode, any possible diagnoses?

GBone

Newly Enlightened
I know this sounds ridiculous, but are you positive the light is OFF when you lock the tailcap?

With both of my Gladius I can lock the tailcap with the light on, one of my lights is quite difficult to lockout with out turning the light on by accident.

Again, I know it sounds like a silly question, but maybe.... :shrug:

fireluvrandrew

Newly Enlightened
no not ridiculous, haha thats the first thing I wondered, but after it happened twice I know for certain thats not it. its weird. im confused!!

litho123

Enlightened
For me I find that the lockout process can sometimes be a little touchy.

Sometimes I depress the switch a tiny bit too much, twist the endcap and viola! I've locked it out with the light ON. :ohgeez:

Sometimes one side of the switch works easier than the other side to perform the lockout correctly.

It's been this way with all 3 Gladius lights I have.

[EDIT] GBone beat me to it! ditto

fireluvrandrew

Newly Enlightened
yes ive noticed as well, however ive purposely checked to see the light was off before, and about 10 min later it was on, after getting in and out of the car and walking around, so I dont know what did it.

fireluvrandrew

Newly Enlightened
I LOVE IT!! I also carry a tigerlight and I constantly give myself excuses in my head to use the gladius as my primary. Its great, now I dont know if its just because its the upgraded one, but I LOVE mine!! cant stop talkin about it!! but I would love a solution to this problem.... i tilted the mount plate, perhaps this will fix the problem

munkybiz_9881

Enlightened
Heres a question that might help.

After you notice that your light is on, is it still locked out? Or can you simply reach down and turn it off. I guess my question is do you have to unlock the light to turn it off.

If so try this, make sure the light is off and lock out the tail cap. Then try bumping the light with something solid, like a padded steering wheel of chuck of wood. It is possible that one of your magnets in the tailcap has come loose and it that case it may be a warranty issue with the tail cap. I have never heard of this but it is possible. Also try and pushing the button firmly with it locked out to see if there is enough play in the switch to activate.

I carry mine on duty everyday and I have had this happens every now and then. Usually I have manages to unlock the light with my coat sleeve or pick-up seat.