Better reflector for my Mag 4D?

Joshatdot

Enlightened
I just won a TerraLUX for my 4D MAG, and I am going to order a Glass lens from DX. I got thinking, 'Is there a better replacement for the reflector?'

JamisonM

Enlightened
I just won a TerraLUX for my 4D MAG, and I am going to order a Glass lens from DX. I got thinking, 'Is there a better replacement for the reflector?'
You can also get a UCL lens from flashlightlens.com and fivemaga now has dual function and camless smooth reflectors. Personally, I'd buy from those two before buying from kaidomain and like stores, but that's just my opinion.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If you want more light, a UCL lens would be better then a metal reflector(I think the UCL is 97-99% transmittance, while normal glass is around 85%). Unless you go to a optic place and have the reflector coated with highly reflective substance, there won't be much of an improvement.

Joshatdot

Enlightened
If you want more light, a UCL lens would be better then a metal reflector(I think the UCL is 97-99% transmittance, while normal glass is around 85%). Unless you go to a optic place and have the reflector coated with highly reflective substance, there won't be much of an improvement.
You can also get a UCL lens from flashlightlens.com and fivemaga now has dual function and camless smooth reflectors. Personally, I'd buy from those two before buying from kaidomain and like stores, but that's just my opinion.

Would a smooth or MOP be better for the TerraLUX upgrade? I figure the MOP would be abit more of flood/diffused, and a smooth would be spot beam, no?

Is a UCL lens really that much difference than the glass ones I see on DX or KD? I was going to get a 5 pack from KD and give some to friends.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shipping will be a lot faster from Flashlight Lens than from DX.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Depends on which Terralux you have. I've heard there was a Seoul and Cree version.

The MOP would be good for the Cree version while the Seoul version won't need a textured reflector(Seouls have a surprisingly good beam with a smooth reflector from what I've heard.).

JamisonM

Enlightened
Would a smooth or MOP be better for the TerraLUX upgrade? I figure the MOP would be abit more of flood/diffused, and a smooth would be spot beam, no?

Is a UCL lens really that much difference than the glass ones I see on DX or KD? I was going to get a 5 pack from KD and give some to friends.
It depends on what you're looking for. If you don't mind the hotspot with artifacts and rings in it then a smooth reflector will work, but if you are worried about artifacts and rings then an orange peal/stippled reflector will be what you're looking for. There are trade offs. A smooth reflector will project further then an orange peal/stippled reflector. I saw quite a difference when I switch my stippled reflector to a smooth reflector with a 4D maglite with one of Gene's drop-ins installed.
As for the glass lenses form DX, I can't really say anything about them. My guess is they are plain glass lenses. I don't know enough about glass to say what kind, but I can say I'd buy my lenses from flashlightlens.com before I did DX and like stores unless I was looking for the absolute cheapest I could find.

topcat39

Newly Enlightened
I'm also looking for a better reflector for my Mag 4D with the TerreLUX. I asked Kaidomain about his reflectors in the Dealer's Corner section. Here's a link with info including beam shots:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=171006

Kai believes a SMO reflector is best. YMMV

I'm also going to replace the plastic lens with a glass one.

Cheers:thumbsup:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm also looking for a better reflector for my Mag 4D with the TerreLUX. I asked Kaidomain about his reflectors in the Dealer's Corner section. Here's a link with info including beam shots:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=171006

Kai believes a SMO reflector is best. YMMV

I'm also going to replace the plastic lens with a glass one.

Cheers:thumbsup:

+

Heads up regarding Kai's reflector, the opening is 8.4mm.

I'm not sure if it will fit over TerraLux drop-in, or if the reflector needs a 'bit' of convincing.

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Heads up regarding Kai's reflector, the opening is 8.4mm.

I'm not sure if it will fit over TerraLux drop-in, or if the reflector needs a 'bit' of convincing.

IMHO, herein lies the biggest optical advantage of FM, Kai etc metal reflectors over the stock plastic.

You bore/ream/drill out the hole to just fit over your chosen bulb/dropin, minimising the black hole.

The variable focus feature of MagLites should do the rest.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought the 5-pack glass lens from KD and they good quality...about the same as the ones The Fenix Store used to sell. I also purchased some UCLs from Flashlightlens and they are a hair clearer from what I can tell. As for the metal reflectors that KD sells, they're meant for the ROP mods and parts they've been selling recently. The only way you're going to get them to work with LED drop-ins is by boring out the hole. I believe Harbor Freight tools sells some drill heads that will do that. I've got a set, but never got around to using them. With the Terralux drop-in, I'd say just get a UCL lens and call it a day. The stock reflector works great with LED drop-ins as it is. I used to think that upgrading to an aluminum reflector would make a huge difference. As I found it, not such the case especially when you consider spending $15 to $30 for a reflector...the difference (if any) isn't really that noticeable in my opinion when weighed with the cost...unless you want a textured reflector, then it maybe something to consider.

topcat39

Newly Enlightened
In the link I provided, Kai said this about his reflector and how it fit a TerraLUX:

I used a TerraLUX TLE-6EX in my 4D M*g, and I'm leaning toward the cammed MOP reflector. What do you think of this combo (knowing I'm going to lose some throw)?

Luxeon star don't need MOP, SMO would do the job. I am running another batch of reflectors in original opening size, you will be interested in those instead (8.3mm is too small for your LED drop-in).

party.gif

Joshatdot

Enlightened
I bought the 5-pack glass lens from KD and they good quality...about the same as the ones The Fenix Store used to sell. I also purchased some UCLs from Flashlightlens and they are a hair clearer from what I can tell. As for the metal reflectors that KD sells, they're meant for the ROP mods and parts they've been selling recently. The only way you're going to get them to work with LED drop-ins is by boring out the hole. I believe Harbor Freight tools sells some drill heads that will do that. I've got a set, but never got around to using them. With the Terralux drop-in, I'd say just get a UCL lens and call it a day. The stock reflector works great with LED drop-ins as it is. I used to think that upgrading to an aluminum reflector would make a huge difference. As I found it, not such the case especially when you consider spending $15 to $30 for a reflector...the difference (if any) isn't really that noticeable in my opinion when weighed with the cost...unless you want a textured reflector, then it maybe something to consider.

I got myself a 8" drill press for x-mass from work (ACE Hardware). So I hope that will work. I'll start off with getting the UCL lens, and if I am happy with the stock ref I'll call it a day.