Help Me Pick christmas present

choaticwhisper

Enlightened
Well my wife said 1 more light and thats it, So I'm picking out one last light, for now.

Im really liking the Fenix P3D premium Q5, Its about the right length different modes, really all I need is low and high. Great battery life and Im pretty sure alot of people here would suggest it. I just cant help thinking "Is there something better?"
Price is set no more than $65
maybe $70.
I know everybody tired of " Recommend me a light" threads. Sorry.

Jaygnar

Newly Enlightened
I don't think us CPF'ers really ever get tired of helping other people spend their money. For the price and if you like the form factor of the p3d Q5 I don't think you can really go wrong. I'd like to recommend something as an alternative but the truth is that within the constraints of the budget you've set and trying to balance out quality with value, I think you hit the nail on the head so to speak.
:party::party:

choaticwhisper

Enlightened
You think anyone could show me show real world beams shots comparing the p3d Q5 and the L1D CE?

I know its not going to be as bright but will I really notice? Plus I really like the AA batteries.

Hey Marduke, Another alabamian, Good to see Im not the only one down here.

Last edited:

Tubor

Enlightened
The L2D has a nice bright Turbo mode, much brighter than turbo on the L1D and it uses 2 x AA. If you haven't already bought one, I'd go L2D-Q5, or L2D-R100 for a warmer "tint".

choaticwhisper

Enlightened
Really want to stay away from 2xAA, It just seems to long.
Not near as bright but want about Lumapower Lumahunter M3?

Last edited:

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well my wife said 1 more light and thats it

Your real issue is not what light to buy, but rather to get yourself out of this unhealthy mindset of "1 more light and thats it." :p

You have to be sneaky. Have them mailed to work. Mailed to a friend's house. Or if you are the one who grabs the mail at your house, have lights shipped there and then hide it. Or if you can grab the UPS box off the porch before she sees it, go that route. Its the American Way.

Once you reach a critical mass of lights, you'll have so many that Mrs. Choatic will have no idea that that new light on your belt is actually new. All Fenixes look pretty much the same. Just don't make the mistake of ordering a "natural" when your 22 other Fenixes are black. And spread them out. A Fenix on your belt. A couple in the car. One in your manpurse. Two at work.

Bonus hint: during the Christmas season, if you are ordering gifts online and having them delivered to the house, sneak in a light or nine. Then if Mrs. Choatic sees a light delivery, just pawn it off as "probably that gift we ordered for your mom last week".

Edited: Oh yeah - I'd recommend the P1D Q5. Awesome EDC light that disappears on the belt.

Happy to have helped.

Last edited:

Closet_Flashaholic

Enlightened
You think anyone could show me show real world beams shots comparing the p3d Q5 and the L1D CE?

I know its not going to be as bright but will I really notice? Plus I really like the AA batteries.

Hey Marduke, Another alabamian, Good to see Im not the only one down here.

I have both and while I can't show you a beamshot, I can say that I like the p3d Q5 - awesome lumens for a stock light. However, I use the L1D CE a lot more because it's always with me ready to use. I run a single eneloop in the L1D CE and it's about the best combo I have ever carried. Inexpensive to use, small footprint and there when I need it. If you are into small and bright, the L1D CE is very, very nice for the size/weight. I am amazed at how often I do end up using it, I don't know how I survived before I had one :). It sits right next to the leatherman supertool on my belt..

"Given only one or the other, better to have a small light in the pocket with you than a large, powerful light at home in the drawer"....