Which DX lights are recommended?

Enlightened
Was trying to find a good Christmas present for my grandfather (he's about 80 this year) and was thinking about maybe a nice flashlight, preferably something he could EDC on a keychain or something. I'm looking for something that runs off commonly available batteries (say 1xAA or 1xAAA), has good output and is decently regulated to maintain said output. There are a lot of lights over there and I trust you guys over the reviews on the site.

Something like this one, perhaps, though I'm a bit leery of the 5 modes and I have no idea if it's actually regulated at all.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6162

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
There's a number of good review threads on DX lights in the Review forum. Bessiebenny has one going. Here's a link to my 1AA comparison round-up review that has the 5-mode rebel light you linked to:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/172434

As you can see, I'm not a fan of that light. I would normally have recommend the Ultrafire C3 (either single-mode or the 5-stage version), but as you will see in the discussion of my review on that one, the latest batches have been all over the map in terms of output and build quality (and even in some cases the older inefficient 5-mode circuit!).

Given that, I'd have to recommend sticking with the reliable old standbys of the Lumapower LM31 (aka LM301) or Jetbeam C-LE v2.0. Each are slightly more expensive than the DX lights, but still quite reasonable and you can be assured of at least minimal quality control and support.

For your grandfather, I'd suggest the LM31 is easier to use. :)

Enlightened
There's a number of good review threads on DX lights in the Review forum. Bessiebenny has one going. Here's a link to my 1AA comparison round-up review that has the 5-mode rebel light you linked to:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/172434

As you can see, I'm not a fan of that light. I would normally have recommend the Ultrafire C3 (either single-mode or the 5-stage version), but as you will see in the discussion of my review on that one, the latest batches have been all over the map in terms of output and build quality (and even in some cases the older inefficient 5-mode circuit!).

Given that, I'd have to recommend sticking with the reliable old standbys of the Lumapower LM31 (aka LM301) or Jetbeam C-LE v2.0. Each are slightly more expensive than the DX lights, but still quite reasonable and you can be assured of at least minimal quality control and support.

For your grandfather, I'd suggest the LM31 is easier to use. :)

Thanks, that might be the way to go then. I'll see if anyone is offloading one on the BST forums too. How is the regulation on the Lumapower?

Jaygnar

Newly Enlightened
I received my Ultrafire c3 from dx today. It works perfectly and has a nice white tint but you should know that mine did not ship with the holster. I still can't complain as I bought this light for pocket duty. And the build quality is seems exceptional for the price. I recommend it for the money.:grin2:

merlocka

Enlightened

That's a good list.

Other lights from DX that are interesting, IMO

Ultrafire C2 - There is a Q5 version now, and also a HAIII version. This is a nice 18650 single mode light.

Dexlight X.1 - I dig this light. There are many good AA options right now, but my X.1 is nice on 14500's.

Ultrafire WF500 - A pretty bright hotwire for cheap.

Oops. I didn't notice the AA mention initially. Well, I listed on AA light.

gOhAsE

Newly Enlightened
A one AA light is too small for a person of this age, imho.

I bought a 2 AA light - the Ultrafire WF-606A http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4238 - for my grandfather (85) a few weeks ago. He likes it very much. It's easy to operate and you can hold it in your hand comfortably.

One more thing: The 1 AA lights (except the 1.5W Ultrafire C3) draw too much amps for an alkaline. A single alkaline AA won't last very long. If you want to use alkalines, then head for a 2 AA light.

saeckereier

Newly Enlightened
MTE 1 Mode, quite nice and easy to handle however it is nowhere near the fenixes which are way superior in quality. I didn't notice you mentioning a price span, the L0D-CE really would be a nice gift. It's not too be had from DX, but fenix-store.com . I'd certainly consider it.
Concerning the MTE, I have had some intermittent issues with the switch, you might want to take it apart and clean it before giving it as a present to ensure it runs well.

garence

Newly Enlightened
I would normally have recommend the Ultrafire C3 (either single-mode or the 5-stage version), but as you will see in the discussion of my review on that one, the latest batches have been all over the map in terms of output and build quality (and even in some cases the older inefficient 5-mode circuit!).
That is why I'm hesitating to buy the C3 right now. I'm hoping Ultrafire can get the problems worked out and delivered with some indication on the light and/or packaging so that we can know what older stock to avoid.

bessiebenny

Enlightened
Yeah. I personally don't recommend the MTE SSC P4 AA light as it is not built to last.
My one also has a problem with the switch and now it only works as a twisty.
The quality of the light is just not there to be worthy of being given as a present imo.

Try the single-mode Ultrafire C3 (+extension) or the brighter/stronger WF-606A.
or if your budget is much higher, Fenix is probably the best bet in both quality and output.
BTW, Romisen RC-N3 is also getting some great reviews these days.

FYI - If you order at DX right now, don't expect to get it before Christmas.

shakeylegs

Enlightened
Romisen MXDL RC-G2 Cree Flashlight Gray (1xAA)
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3609
I bought this as a gift - it arrived today. Deep metal reflector, about the size you describe, great threads and finish. Emitter looks to be easily upgraded. Solid little light. Can't wait to fire it up tonight. With this deep reflector I'd expect it to throw pretty well.
If you're buying from the east pacific for christmas, get a movin as shipping can take a few weeks

gOhAsE

Newly Enlightened
They need about 5-7days to get the order sent, then the time until it arrives in your country and then it takes time in the customs.

Because of the increase of shipping the weeks before christmas there will be some extra delay at the shipping and the customs.

2 months ago it took about 10 days (shipping and customs to/in Germany) - 1 month ago it already took 14+ days.

saeckereier

Newly Enlightened
Wow! Are they really that bad about shipping? I've never ordered from them before but I know a lot of people talk about them and that they have great deals.
They are not that bad about shipping, but they deliver using a NJIT principle (nearly just in time) as soon as you place your order, they order the parts from their supplier, DX dos not keep a large stock around.

Plus: Perhaps they ship batches, which would further delay your shipment. We have all gotten used to it, as the prices normally make the waiting acceptable, plus both KD and DX seem to care about their customers and tend to resolve problems that exist.

If you want to get it until christmas, try one of the other shops like lighthound, Fenix Store, etc... I don't know that many over there, as I am sitting in Euopre and ordering in the USA is quite costly for me.

But you should be able to find an adequate light at a not so bad price, I think. (Okay it would be like doubling DXs price but it would arrive in time and be of much higher quality)

Khaytsus

Enlightened
Honestly, I would not recommend or give anyone lights from DX. Every light I've gotten from them (albiet the cheapies) all have daft switches and really bad construction.

Two of them I have to click at weird angles to get it to either click in or click out.. The other won't click at all. Every one I got is junk.