G2 LED - Need info

Eagleout

Newly Enlightened
I work for a national hardware store and we just started stocking the G2 LED. I took a quick look at the docs but I didn't see a mention of the wattage of the LED, nor did I find it on the Surefire website.

Anyone know if it is a five watt LED and if its regulated? I have several standard G2s but this is the first time I've seen an LED version.

If they decide to carry more Surefire models I may as well tell them to keep my paycheck. :broke:

Thanks-

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
The LED is a seoul P4 and it's regulated. I resisted buying one but did it yesterday anyway! I am happy with my purchase, the G2L is well suited to medium range work. Getting it from a B&M store means you can look at the emitters first and pick one with no lint and well centered! I am quite happy. As an added bit of info the lens is Lexan, so it's not a top heavy as you would expect.

Last edited:

Eagleout

Newly Enlightened
Sgt.,

Thanks for the quick reply. How is the regulation staged? I read a comment here that it is seems to throw more of a flood light than a spot. Are you finding this?

Thanks-

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I got mine with a $10 off project starter card, beating the SF pricing scheme! More flood than throw yes but it has a prominent spot.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/176621 Go here and look at the specs for the 6PL not G2L, in his test he went with the drop-in in an all Nitrolon light for the G2L specs so the heat got to it. Hence the reason SF went to the Al head. I would realistically expect to see true performance on newest G2L somewhere between the all Nitrolon G2L and the 6PL in the graph since the body won't be helping on the heat dissipation.

Last edited:

lightinsky

Enlightened
Re: Surefire P60L (6PL and G2L) runtimes
When you compare the runtime of the 6PL and G2L I think the G2L is a better bet because you get approx. 90 more minutes of bright 60 Lumen light after the 6PL ran for 3 hours at 75 Lumens regulated then drops out of regulation for the next 90 minutes while the G2L is still going strong at a pretty bright 60 Lumens run til 4 hours 30 minutes which at this point the 6PL is much dimmer on the charts. Just my thought and opinion.
progress.gif

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The newer G2Ls have a metal bezel so runtime is probably similar to the 6PL.

The LED can be driven at any wattage. A higher wattage doesn't mean the light is brighter, whiter or even if the LED is driven at that wattage.

The P60L is probably driving the LED at around 1.5 watt(just a guess).

:welcome:

lightinsky

Enlightened
Yah I figured that. I have a G2L with the Nitro head and FM35 on it for night vision red. I also have another G2 incan that has been replaced by the DX 1447 cree xre P4 drop in. I am waiting for my Alum head with pyrex that Surefire is sending me since I have the G2L with Nitro. I don't know if I will put the Alum head on the G2 with the cree p4 from DX or on the G2L ssc p4 yet. Any thoughts folks on which G2 I should throw the Alum head pyrex on its way to me.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The whole wattage thing in relation to LED's is silly. LED's can be driven at less power and more power than they're binned for. The SSC P4 and Cree XR-E are both binned at 350mA, which makes them close to 1 watt when driven at spec. Most of the time they're driven a lot higher than 350mA, sometimes 1200mA and higher.

Watts can't be used to describe the output of an LED flashlight since LED's vary so drastically in their efficiency.

Michael FM

Newly Enlightened
Hello :)

hope i´m not wrong here, have anybody Beamshots from the original G2/P6 LED? I have nothing found, except dropin beamshots.

Michael FM

Newly Enlightened
Thank you :)

The 6PL/G2 Led locks like the 6P/G2, but white and brighter, if i compare this with the 6P beamshots that i have found here, ist this right?