down to two: Tiable A9 v. Dereelight EDC

funkymonkey1111

Enlightened
i'm looking to add a pretty long throwing light to my flashlight quiver, and think these two compare reasonably--roughly the same price (within $10) roughly the same specs. the light will be used for getting in/out of fishing streams at night and before dawn (hiking in high mountain areas) and used in conjunction with a headlamp.

what i'm looking for is a functional, long throwing light that has pretty decent runtimes. both of these seem like good contenders, but as (until now) a relatively mainstream flashlight user, i'm unfamiliar with the brands and quality (other than the great reviews on this board) of each.

or, if i've lumped these two together and they're really not comparable, please let me know.

thanks in advance for helpful comments.

BigD64

Enlightened
I vote for the Deree 2 stage non digital. I have both and like the Deree a little better no real difference just personal preference.

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I vote Tiablo. It just seems to be more solidly constructed and switched than Dereelight. I've had a CL1H and Tiablo A9S. I still have the Tiablo :) I suspect either will do the job for you though.

Also look at the Wolf Eyes Guider!!! Mine just came (Wolf Eyes #5 for me). Wow. Smaller head than the Tiablo, rechargeable or CR123s - comes with a charger and battery - lots of light on high, seems built like tank. I chose the two stage, there is a single and 5 stage as well.

Flic

Enlightened
Good choices. I think you'd be happy with either one. I have both (and a couple MRV's). I'd go for the Tiablo A9. It runs particularly well on CR123. If you're out in the woods I think you'll prefer primaries to rechargables. I find the build and feel of the Tiablo are superior. I have a three stage Q4 DBS and it might be slightly brighter on paper or when chasing white walls, but nowhere enough brighter to make it a clear winner. And if you are not too hung up on lumen ratings, you might get a Tiablo at a good price on CPFMP as the diehard flashaholics upgrade to the next "big" thing. The one clear advantage the Dereelight has is the ease with which you can upgrade as new pills become available. However I cannot see what is really to be gained moving from a light that will throw 200 yards to one that throws 210 yards!

Patriot

Flashaholic
I prefer the Tiablo A9 even though is doesn't throw quite like the Dereelight.
The quality and construction just seem to be better. It's one of the few lights made from 7075 alloy and the finish is more pleasing to me as well.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'd vote for the Dereelight. I don't have either but the Dereelight is much easier to upgrade and throws a bit further.