• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Any 10.5mm Heavy OP reflectors for sale?

SuRgE

Enlightened
I prefer Orange Peel reflectors and was curious, other than FM's MOPs is there anyone selling 10.5mm opening or larger heavy OP reflectors?

FM's are great for my projects because of the larger openings and KAI's I love for the heavy OP(but KAI sells only the smaller opening reflectors).

Basically, I am looking for a 10.5mm cam/camless reflector with OP similar to the ones KAI has been selling for $14.99 shipped. I'm becoming a big Philips 5761 fan and need the larger sized openings. I also don't care to much for throw and prefer the Surefire type beam I get with the OP reflectors.

Any info appreciated.

cat

Enlightened
Litho123's are about 9.6mm, so only about 0.9-1.0mm enlargement is needed.
Apparently, it can be done with a round abrasive stone, if you can't get it done on a lathe. Either way, the scary part is cleaning it afterwards.
I'm waiting for a #1 smooth reflector to arrive, to use with the bulb frosted up to the filament.
So maybe you'd like to try the FM MOP with the frosting.
I hope Litho123 gets more of the #7 heavy stipple ones.

lowatts

Newly Enlightened
Someone had posted before that something like this works well (but go slow as it's easy to cut out too much):
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NW1LCQ/?tag=cpf0b6-20

I've only read the post, have not tried it myself on a reflector, only years ago I used a similar one from RadioShack to ream bolt holes on a fiberglass skate board.

DM51

Flashaholic
Litho123's are about 9.6mm, so only about 0.9-1.0mm enlargement is needed.
You shouldn't need to enlarge the opening for a 5761. The bulb measures <9mm at the widest part.

As long as it is accurately centered, which it will need to be anyway to get a good beam, you should be OK.

cat

Enlightened
I think it's more likely to tear the coating. Rather use a fine abrasive - a stone or a Dremel tool. The Dremel might be better because it's rotating in the lower edge of the tube rather than back and forth against the edge.

cat

Enlightened
You shouldn't need to enlarge the opening for a 5761. The bulb measures <9mm at the widest part.

Not as far as I know. (Which isn't much.) I'll have to hunt around later and find posts/messages from NL or Litho123.
Also, the last ones they got were bigger and wouldn't fit into reflectors that had already had 5761's in them.

DM51

Flashaholic
I had my caliper out and measured one before I posted #5 above. It was 8.8mm at the widest part, and still in its cellophane wrapper too.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine vary a bit from bulb to bulb but the fattest envelope is 9.35mm going across the length of the filament and 8.75mm measured perpendicular to the filament.

cat

Enlightened
[ Sorry, I'm only getting back to this now. I got stuck trying to post last night because we were having a generator switch replaced at 9:30pm last night, and the server stopped working a bit before that, so I got stuck trying to post here. ]

That's odd. I'm on the same track as the OP, and a few weeks ago I worked out that the 0.377" was just under a mm smaller than the 10.5mm needed.

Now, according to what you're saying, the problem is going to be centering them, not enlarging the hole. How do you center them? I was looking at how the AW driver/switch fit and how the bulb pin holes were orientated with the switch button centered - as best as I could do by eye.

Oh, and by the way - to all those who've in various threads explained how to loosen the stock Maglite switch grub screw: my 2mm hex key spun around, and didn't find the hole, and pushing hard didn't help. I gave up the first night and then tried again the next night. It eventually occurred to me that perhaps the Allen key was slightly too big. I tried one from one of those generic cheapo "precision screwdriver" sets and it went in and worked immediately. Maybe the 5/64" vs the 2mm.

DM51

Flashaholic
Mine vary a bit from bulb to bulb but the fattest envelope is 9.35mm going across the length of the filament and 8.75mm measured perpendicular to the filament.
Are yours original Philips bulbs? Did they come individually boxed?

It is interesting that the sizes seem to vary so widely.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, original Philips 5761 and each in their own blue, white, and black FocusLine boxes with the UPC code running down one side of the box. The bottom of the boxes state the bulbs were made in Germany. There's asian text panels printed on the inside of the boxes along with 3 pictograms.

The bulb envelopes are slightly oval when looking down at the bulb's top point from above but it would be pretty hard to notice this during a brief visual inspection. You really have to check the with calipers or a mic to discover if the envelope is out of round.
Guess it's just from the way the molten quartz glass handling machinery was operating on the day these were made.

I purchased them back in 2006.

DM51

Flashaholic
I wonder if they may be making them slightly smaller now. Mine are newer - I got them a few weeks ago. I have 4 - all about the same size. They are slightly oval, like yours, due to the filament length. I'll try and post a pic here later on.