Dremel -- Attachment Guide

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
With all the tinkerers and modders we have on CPF, I'm sure the Dremel plays a big part in many's tinkering activities. I've had a Dremel for quite some time, however I only use it for the basic stuff. Recently, I had the need to use it to grind/sand some pieces of aluminum to shorten the piece up a bit, but really didn't know (still don't know) what bits/attachments were best for the job.

I was thinking this could be a place where users could post what bits they've used, with the part/stock number and the material they used the bit on. It could serve as a database of sort for those like myself who need to use the Dremel, but have no idea what bit is right for the job.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got plenty of tools (found some kits VERY cheap), but I only ever use the cutting discs, the drill bits and very rarely the sandpaper roll things.

Actually, I'm very curious about most of the tools I have in the kits. I'll take a picture and maybe you guys can help me. :D

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually this is something important. Having info on rotary tools is a huge time saver. I know that I use cutting wheels the most and sanding sleeves a close second. I used to buy the dremel ones. I found that Ebay has people selling these huge piece assortments for low prices. even if the quality is not as good as dremel, you still save big and have lots of parts.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I try to use the tungsten and high speed cutters if possible with aluminum and other materials that clog up grinding stones and sanding discs quickly.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
A pair of safety glasses is a good investment.
A pair of safety glasses is essential. I've had many small cutting disks fly apart (mostly due to mistakes on my part), and when that happens lots of very sharp, very hot fragments get thrown all over the place.
Additionally, fragments of whatever you're working on can and do fly off, and then there's the dust.
You do NOT want your eyes to be unprotected when working with a Dremel.

cat

Enlightened
PROXXON

http://www.proxxon.com/us/
javascript-based page, so I can't provide URL for the attachments, but on the menu it's [ MICROMOT accessories for rotary tools ].

I was going to get a Proxxon instead of a Dremel about a year ago, and now the need for it has come up again. I'll find out tomorrow what the dealer here has in stock.

Last edited:

Mash

Enlightened
A pair of safety glasses is essential. I've had many small cutting disks fly apart (mostly due to mistakes on my part), and when that happens lots of very sharp, very hot fragments get thrown all over the place.
Additionally, fragments of whatever you're working on can and do fly off, and then there's the dust.
You do NOT want your eyes to be unprotected when working with a Dremel.

+1000 on that!
And the danger can come from totally unexpected events too!
I was trying to cut an excess bit off a woodfloor board, so i can route a telephone cable around it safely.
Attached a big cut off disk with the mandrel, leant in real close for precision work (!), and flipped the switch. Of course the speed setting was previously left on maximum, so the whole disk+mandrel flies out of the jaws, and goes sailing past (at a very high speed) my very close in face! I was very very lucky that time! Upon inspection the metal shaft of the mandrel had big gouge marks on it, from the chuck jaws trying to hold it in place, but failed and let the shaft slip out.

Last edited:

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes I do agree that Dremel cut off disc are quite fragile and bits do break off and fly unexpectedly. Safety goggles is thus important.

cat

Enlightened
Even better to use a full face shield.

What is the best attachment to use for enlarging the unanodised area where the AW MAG switch screw grounds to the body?

cat

Enlightened
ohhhh, you're talking about putting it in from the head end. ? mmm, yes,...that would allow for some other tools to do it with. All I'd thought of was getting to it from the switch opening, and thinking how the stone or whatever would tend to run around. :crazy: Thanks. :thumbsup:

btw, the Proxxon tools are better than the Dremel and the various cheaper ones because they have bearings instead of plastic bushes, and electronically controlled variable speed.
They also make a lot of very nice miniature power tools, like little milling machines.

PS: I just discovered that this thread is in The Cafe. Shouldn't we get it moved to Materials/Mechanical/Machining ?

Last edited:

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
btw, the Proxxon tools are better than the Dremel and the various cheaper ones because they have bearings instead of plastic bushes, and electronically controlled variable speed
I'm not big on brand names. When I had to choose a rotary tool I went for the cheapest I could find, a Black & Decker RT650. Still going strong three years later...

I also have a DC-powered model drill. It's nice because it has an actual three-tooth screw chuck, instead of the dremel's fixed one (don't know the technical terms - bear with me here), but it has less torque than the RT650 and needs to be fed from a variable power supply if you want variable speed.

cat

Enlightened
I heard about the Proxxon tools on an engineering forum a year or two ago. I got there from google so maybe I could find it again. The main issue was accuracy - the Dremel shafts quickly becoming loose because they don't have a bearing. They have hardened steel collets; they come with sets of 6 collets covering 1.0 to 3.2mm. The variable speed is transistor controlled, not a cheap clicky switch. ymmv, of course - it depends on what you use it for and how important accuracy is, and how much you use it. I suppose that in our torch mod applications here, it's not important.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, if I was a professional who did Dremeling for a living then yeah, I'd want the best tools around. As a tinkerer, any knockoff will do. :p

Mash

Enlightened
You can buy aftermarket mini chucks for dremel and similar tools which come with collets originally. They are about $10, google for "dremel chuck".
Essential investment in my opinion, since it gets irritating changing collets every two minutes for different sized tools.

MedusaOblongata

Newly Enlightened
It's called a "keyless chuck." Get one and you'll never need to use or change collets again.

Gun shows and www.widgetsupply.com are great sources for bits (and way cheaper than the hardware store).

The fiberglass cut off discs will cut through almost anything (except glass). I tried a silver steel/diamond cut off disc that doesn't work nearly as well.

The double cut carbide burrs are the fastest I've seen at grinding through soft materials (bone, wood, plastic); I don't know how well they'd work on metal.

DM51

Flashaholic
The fiberglass cut off discs will cut through almost anything (except glass). I tried a silver steel/diamond cut off disc that doesn't work nearly as well.

The double cut carbide burrs are the fastest I've seen at grinding through soft materials (bone, wood, plastic); I don't know how well they'd work on metal.
Grinding, cutting etc must produce quite a lot of dust. What do you do about dust-extraction, or don't you bother about it? Is a vacuum-cleaner nozzle near the action a workable idea, or do you have a proper extractor?