Help Finding a Wide Throw Light

Fargus

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
I am looking for an LED version of a light that has a wide angle of throw. Minimal hot spot, mostly spill. For those old enough, I am more or less looking for a more modern (LED) version of one of the old style incandescent lights that used to take those big square lantern batteries with the springs on top (6 volt as I recall, but that doesn't matter). Some even took the lantern batteries with the screw posts on the top. I'm not necessarily looking for a light that big, just using the above as a reference for the type of illumination I'm looking for. Big wide angle reflectors.

I want a light that can illuminate part of my yard or a wide area outdoors. It doesn't have to be a throw monster and light things up three blocks away. The incandescent types normally had a handle because they were designed large and blocky (to accommodate the battery type). I'm sure many know the style of light I'm trying to describe, I just can't recall the specific name at the moment.

Anyway, is there an LED version comparable (probably better) to the throw/spill and area coverage of these ancient incandescents? I don't really need anything 'tactical'. I don't need 12 modes and a UI that rivals the flight manual for an F-22 fighter. I just want a simple light that turns on fast, is reliable, weather tolerant/resistant, tough construction (can handle a short drop), and hopefully accepts the more common form factor batteries (AA, C, D, and/or rechargeables of the type). One that can illuminate a fairly wide and deep area fairly evenly without necessarily being as bright as the sun. I also would prefer that it isn't a rechargeable with a nonreplaceable proprietary internal battery. Regulation is a must, although runtimes aren't all that vital (longer is great, but not essential). Some modes are also good, but not required (high, low, medium, strobe).

Any ideas and/or suggestions would be appreciated!

Last edited:

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Need more info. The older lights you refer to had about a 4-5 inch reflector and, as I remember, had very little spill - no flood at all.

The more flood, the less throw. Flashlights with a flood pattern are generally considered for close up or possibly medium distances. How far a distance do you need to cover?

Fargus

Newly Enlightened
I just threw one out a few months ago (a resident of my trunk, corroded beyond repair). It was an ancient EverReady. It took the big square lantern batteries that had springs on top. It had a fairly wide reflector (I'd guess 90 degrees or possibly wider). It could really light up my backyard with mostly flood, probably out to 40 or 50 feet before becoming too dim. I'm not saying it had no 'spot' characteristics, but it did provide quite a wide spill area.

saildude

Newly Enlightened
UK ( Underwater Kinetics ) make a couple of LED dive type heavy duty lights that use C or D batteries with a lot of flood.

http://www.ukinternational.com/products/detail.php?ProductID=82&cat=6

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/uk_c8eledplus.htm

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/uk_c4-8eled.htm

Streamlight makes several with big reflectors ( popular with Firefighters and other similar users ) - your choice of Spot or Flood but they are not LED - you can get dual filament systems - Pelican also has some large reflector but again not LED.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Pick any light with a decent size reflector that you can take the lens out of and replace that lens with a UCL lens with LDF on it. If you need more than that stipple the reflector as well. The combo of the two should make any light as floody as you could ever need without having to buy a new light. Simple and basic, not flashy - not new - not cool, just does the job.:)

dg

Newly Enlightened
Surefire L4 has a wide, bright and even beam, which has a wider and better flood pattern than my Eveready 6v lantern with a 4" reflector

copperfox

Enlightened
what is your budget? Do you have experience modifying flashlights?

A bright and floody light would be one with multiple SSC emitters. Check out the first flashlight with beamshots on this page: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/176577

It is the Kaidomain 400+ lumen 3xSSC led. It looks teriffic and is pretty cheap, but unfortunately it's out of stock at the moment. For an even brighter light you could create or have someone build you a 3 or 4 SSC emitter light using a Maglite as a host. However, his would be at least twice as expensive as the KD 3xSSC.

Also, from what I've heard, a 3C or 3D maglite with a Malkoff drop-in and a stippled reflector would be fantastic ($95 plus the cost of the maglite host).

Last edited:

Fargus

Newly Enlightened
what is your budget?

Not really a limiting factor. I can most likely find an incandescent that does what I'm looking for at around $12 - $15 (probably under $10 on sale or with a coupon). I wouldn't want to go over $100 for such a light.

I'm not a true flashaholic. I need a tool (in this case a light) to perform a function (in this case light up a wide area with some decent throw if possible). I'm also not modder. I want whatever it is to work as I need it to work right out of a box. I have already made my selections in terms of EDC and general purpose lights, the one gap I have between incandescents and LEDs is a wide angle flood. I am in the market for one, so I thought I'd ask here to see if there was anything with an LED in it that fits the bill and people recommend. I prefer the efficiency and longevity of LEDs over incandescents.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
The AmiLite T5 has the beam characteristics I think you are looking for, and has two levels and a clicky. It does run on a cr123 cell however, or 3.0v RCR123 if you want to use rechargables. It is rugged and either waterproof or very water resistant. Fit and finish are beautiful. I saw one at the recent PhotonFest at Milkyspit's place and was really impressed.
On high it is very bright.

According to FlashlightReviews the T5's total output is an 82, which is higher than the 'wall of light' Surefire L2, which has a total output of 72.

Last edited:

lukus

Enlightened
O.K., it's a bit more than $100, but the SureFire L2 is an awesome wall of light. It's got everything you want, just a wall of light without much of a hotspot.

If you're used to those big old clunky 6 volts, you'll be truly amazed by the size of the L2 and the sheer amount of light it puts out. I know you don't want the 14 levels and the whiz bang, but the L2 has the simplest 2 levels you can get. The low level will handle the majority of your tasks with a harder push giving you the "holey moley, that's a lot of light".

The SureFire L2 was the first really good light I bought, and the price made me swallow hard, but it was worth every penny. You won't regret the choice.

Fargus

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all for taking the time to respond! I appreciate all the suggestions so far. I'm going to take a good long look at the L2 & L4 (I'm not a big fan of Surefire as a corporation, but I have to admit that they do make quality lights), the Amlite, the Ray-O-Vac, and some of the suggestions like the one by Sgt. LED (I'm not a very handy guy, but I can probably manage to swap out a lens without harming myself or the light ... not too sure about stippling a reflector though). Thanks again!