Any Light to Replace SF L4?

UWAK

Enlightened
I really love the beam character of the SureFire Lumamax L4. Any new flashlights that comparable to the wall of light of L4? Probably brighter? Cheers!

Frids

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
the Novatac 120's beam pattern comes very close in my book, a little more concentrated than the lux V but you are not going to get too floody of a beam with the way flashlights are going these days.

or you can get one of the modders to make you a light with a modified McR reflector to re-create the wall-ish beam battern.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
depends on which L4 you are talking about(remember the lottery?)

I happen to have a phenomenally bright L4 and the 120 is about the same, but there are definitely L4s which I have seen that are dimmer than my 120P.

UWAK

Enlightened
Good to know that cause I think I won the lottery with bright L4, really white, no doughnut hole, can ran 1xRCR123 and even run on primary 123 (probably for some minutes).

At least I know that the Novatac in on par with the L4. Thx.

Frids

Brozneo

Enlightened
The L2 is a light which could replace the L4... I think they are about on par in terms of brightness but the L2 offers a low level also.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
The brightest spill light I have Olight T20 Q5. Different type of beam than your L4, but small, +/- 175 lumens realistic out the front and more effecient than the L4...+ medium and low levels. For $68 it might be worth checking out anyway.

UWAK

Enlightened
Thanks for the info woodrow, i'll check the Olight T20 Q5. But I'm still looking for the beam character like the L4 (except the L2, of course). Cheers!

Frids

GRoLED

Newly Enlightened
Mod it!

I love my L4, but the tint isn't great. I'm just waiting until funds are available then I'll look into getting it a shiney new LED.

I really do like the small size for a 2 x 123 light and the single level clicky on/off.

UWAK

Enlightened
Sadly I have to let go my L4. As for mod, I think I will gonna do it with my KL1. But not in the near future of course.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a tall order.
The KL4 is an amazing head/flashlight.

One question. Why replace it?

I have 3 or of them all with different body/switch combos. Some single cell some double cell.

The EDC Novatac P is not as bright as most of my kl4's on a 2 cell body.
The novatac has a beam which in a way is superior since the hotspot to side spill transition is so smooth.
There is not doubt that the NovaTac's beam is superior to 90% of all of the flashlights I own. I mean that I believe the Novatac's is wonderful second to none.

The kl4 is one light which can compete in terms of beam quality. It is a surefire after all.

So all of this brings me back to Why? Is there something wrong with your L4? Do you have an L4?

Now if the question was Which light should I buy a4 or a Novatac?
I would recommend the Novatac.
Yaesumofo

I really love the beam character of the Surefire Lumamax L4. Any new flashlights that comparable to the wall of light of L4? Probably brighter? Cheers!

Friends

UWAK

Enlightened
Simply put. I just sold my L4. And now I'm looking for a new light, and I prefer a cheaper non-SF light that comparable to the L4.

Frids

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sold my L4 a while back as well, but not before finding a pocket flood to replace it.

You may laugh, but it is the humble little Lumapower LM33, costing under $40. Its beam is not quite as wide and smooth a flood as my L4's, but close. It obviously doesn't match SF's build quality, but it's not bad at all. And---it has more throw (which comes in handy, even for a flood light), similar runtime, a simpler 2-stage switch than the McE2S I had on the L4, less heat build up, and smaller size (can double as a pocket light, which the L4 couldn't).

Nice a light as that L4 was, I've never looked back.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am wondering what Surefire's future plans are with the L4? Rebel I assume. They can't have too many more Luxeon V's laying around in stock.

zx7dave

Enlightened
Would be nice to see a Cree Q5 updated output and runtime version from SF in the future. Can't beat the output/size/runtime combination. For a factory non-modified light it in my opinion is the standard for all 2 cell CR123 lights to be judged by. Price is higher than most CR123 2 cell lights, but you get what you pay for and I've never been disappointed by SF quality. Some of my SF collection is well past a decade and still works like new after lots of use.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder, out of curiosity more than anything, whether the latest McGizmo mule would produce a big flood of light? It is supposed to be a floody light and the most recent "wave" of sales was in fact below $200 per flashlight.

So it might be interesting to consider that comparison with the L4.

An alternative is to use a diffuser--optimally speaking with a light that accepts the SF F04 diffuser rather than those big plastic bulging ones.

For instance, I can get a flood of light out of the relatively non-floody Ti-PD-S, which matches the F04, and of course the SF L1. This could serve as one other alternative to the L4.