L6 head on M6 body will it work?

Size15's

Flashaholic
Yeah it will but quite a bit of the M6's power is wasted as heat so although you get a long runtime, I personally consider it a waste and that the M6 should be powering the MN20 or MN21 lamps as it is designed to.

P85.jpg

Hog

Newly Enlightened
Thanks 15's I was just considering a few purchase options for myself as a Christmas present. What about another power option to run the KL6 head on the M6? As you can see I really want an M6 but a strong LED option as well just for a little longer run time.
Hog

Paladin

Enlightened
I have to disagree with Al about the M6's "power" being wasted as heat. The KL6 will only draw the current it normally needs for the LED, while the dual strings of 3 cells will merely provide additional amp/hour capacity resulting in twice the run time of a standard L6.

Paladin

Size15's

Flashaholic
I have to disagree with Al about the M6's "power" being wasted as heat. The KL6 will only draw the current it normally needs for the LED, while the dual strings of 3 cells will merely provide additional amp/hour capacity resulting in twice the run time of a standard L6.

Paladin
I guess one way to determine whether the M6 with KL6 is 'worth it' is to compare the area under the output/runtime line for the M6+KL6 vs two lots of the area under under the line for the L6.
If area of under the M6's chart is not at least twice that of the L6 then I figure it's better to run the L6 twice rather than the M6+KL6 once.

Of course we may see the KL6's output is higher when on the M6, and the light stays in regulation at least or more than twice as long as it does for the L6. In this instance I'll be wrong about the M6's batteries being wasted powering the KL6.