long life pencil for cheap people

turbodog

Flashaholic
I've got an interesting story to share. I've got a pencil which I use, not daily, but often enough.

It's not been sharpened in 15 years. And no, it's not a mechanical pencil. It was bought at a drafting store and has extra hard lead, 2H.

At this point..... I'm curious to see how far I can go. From looking at the lead, I figure there's another 2-4 years in there before I have to sharpen it.

Each time I use it or think about it I laugh.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
2H is not an extra hard lead.
Many years ago I owned a 9H pencil that my art professor had gotten me to buy to draw on ceramic dishes. I tried using it on paper just for kicks and it was like drawing with a metal rod. It was easier to tear the paper than to get anything readable on it.

I very rarely need to write on actual paper, of course, since I write on a keyboard at home and with a stylus on my PDA, but in the rare occasions when I use pencils I like the lead to be soft. Something like a 2B. It needs sharpening often, but it slides well on the paper and just plain feels nicer.

Last edited:

turbodog

Flashaholic
Well, it was as hard as was available 1) 17 years ago and 2) at that store.

I did sharpen it once or twice a long time ago, but not in the last 15.

Tubor

Enlightened
I'm still in love with HB. Prefer it to pens. Smooth. ;) Strange to think that some people may not get to use a real pencil in this modern age of styluses and PDA's.

Burgess

Flashaholic
I, likewise, also prefer SOFT lead.

Like the 2B. Especially when doing crossword puzzles in newspapers.

Yeah, i know, all the REST of you do 'em in INK !

:D

_

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
I also have a few 9H leads for my drafting pencils - PLEASE be careful with them - they will actually score soft aluminum - then you go to bend the stuff in a brake - and guess what happens?

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, i know, all the REST of you do 'em in INK !
My mum uses one of those eraseable pens. Never liked them, feels like writing with sandpaper. :p

I also have a few 9H leads for my drafting pencils - PLEASE be careful with them - they will actually score soft aluminum - then you go to bend the stuff in a brake - and guess what happens?
It occurs to me that they're certainly capable of penetrating skin and flesh, and would therefore make a perfect stealth weapon.

"What? Me, slice the man's throat? Can't you see I don't have any knives? All I have on me is a pencil..." :p

Marlite

Enlightened
I love softer leads in my mechanical pencils, but they sometimes break off inside the tube carrier and gets stuck. Sometimes a snapped tip needle will release the jam-up sometimes not.

Other problems are when a break or change causes the disappearing lead up the tube when writing and no mark. Lead returns to position and repeats. Arrrghhh. Some mechanicals last only days or hours.

Searched EDC forums for How To's and also How Stuff Works and google. CPFr's are the smartest. Any solutions to this universal problem?

Thanks in advance
marlite

Illum

Flashaholic
I began my pencil using from 2B...coming here and the standards here is HB
after 10 years you'd think I would've stopped writing so hard every time I picked up a HB:ohgeez:

I think this has something to do with those out there that prefer BK over HA-NAT

B@rt

Flashaholic
2H is not an extra hard lead.
Many years ago I owned a 9H pencil that my art professor had gotten me to buy to draw on ceramic dishes. I tried using it on paper just for kicks and it was like drawing with a metal rod.

Hmm, metal rods can write fine... :whistle:
demobt4.jpg
:D

verbie

Enlightened
i didnt know there are people out there who still use a pencil! :p btw, what's HB?

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
btw, what's HB?
There's a table showing the American equivalents here. What do people in the US do if they want (to describe) a pencil outside that range? I can't say I've ever seen an F pencil, but up to 6B and 6H aren't uncommon here.

Other problems are when a break or change causes the disappearing lead up the tube when writing and no mark. Lead returns to position and repeats. Arrrghhh.
The only time I get something like that happening is when the lead is too short to be held properly by the clutch pencil. Time for a new lead.

Marlite

Enlightened
TorchBoy; [The only time I get something like that happening is when the lead is too short to be held properly by the clutch pencil. Time for a new lead.[/quote said:
Thank you TorchBoy, for a simple solution it was short (1/2") and new one restored function in my favorite pencil.

Cheers,
marlite