potentially decent light from BJ's?

vkan

Newly Enlightened
It's not on their website that I can find, but in a BJ's Wholesale Club coupon book I just got, they have this item featured:

"Trade Craft K2 LED Flashlight with Lanyard. 2pk.
Super-bright LEDs boost battery life and never need replacing. Batteries included. SKU 658537 $29.99".

From the picture, it looks like a single LED light and possibly a 3AAA size or maybe 2xCR123. I'll probably check it out tomorrow, but just wondering if anyone's tried it out yet, and if so, is it worthwhile.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
The K2 LED is an obsolete and (from what I've read) deservedly unpopular design. Look for something with a Cree, Seoul/SSC or Rebel emitter.

vkan

Newly Enlightened
The K2 LED is an obsolete and (from what I've read) deservedly unpopular design. Look for something with a Cree, Seoul/SSC or Rebel emitter.

Yeah, I've already got a couple of CREE lights (Fenix L2D CE, Task Force 2C), and a couple of Lux III lights (Nuwai ALX032 and Huntlight FT-01 T-bin).

I'm mainly wondering if this pair (assuming they have K2 LEDs instead of just being called K2) have any chance of being even a little brighter and better thrower than the Huntlight, which while being obsolete is pretty darned nice (I mainly wish it had a brighter spot and less, to no, spill). If so, that'd be worth $15 per light to me.

vkan

Newly Enlightened
This blister pack of two lights is indeed equipped with K2 LEDs, and not much else. The aluminum body feels sturdy enough and the threads are decent, but it appears there's nothing there but a PC board with a K2 emitter mounted on it, directly driven by 3 AAA batteries.

At power on with the included alkalines, they are brighter than my Huntlight FT-01 with an 18650 cell in it, though I doubt that would last.

One of the lights is a warmer color, with a brighter, larger spot, the other is cooler with smaller spot, with brighter spill. Both are whiter than the Huntlight.

My AAA NiMH cells are in the charger at the moment, so I don't know how these lights look using them.

So far, they seem to be worth keeping if only as a spare on the bike. I'll likely try them out on a night commute by bike and see how well they do compared to the Huntlight after 30 minutes of continuous runtime.