Streamlight Polypro 4AA Lux vs. 7 LED, what gives?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, the Polypro 7 LED version came out first and as I recall some people complained of heat issues. Then the 4AA Lux version came out and the general consensus was that it was brighter and better then the 7 LED version.

So I'm looking at the Streamlight Site tonight and here's what they say about the Lux version,

# Powered by 4 "AA" alkaline batteries
# Up to 3,500 peak beam candlepower (42 lumens)
# Waterproof
# Runs up 4 hrs. at full intensity with 2 additional hrs. of declining usable light

and here's what they say about the 7 LED version.

# Powered by 4 "AA" alkaline batteries
# 7 ultra-bright 100,000-hour life LEDs
# 67 lumens typical with 7 white LEDs, blue LEDs also available
# Runs up to 155 hrs.

Now obviously the 155 hours must indicate continually declining light but what blew me away was how much brighter they claim the 7 LED version is. 67 lumens on seven 5 mm leds?

I have the Lux version and consider the output to be a bit too spotty for me especially as I'm considering this as a car light which is why I researched the 7 LED version but I didn't expect the specs to actually claim to produce more light then the Lux version. What do you guys think, also is the seven LED version regulated at all? Still have the heat issues?

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
The luxeon version is the real winner of the two but the 7 LED is a nice light.

I think the runtimefor the 7 LED is 155 hours with 50% brightness in 6-7 hours. It doesn't put out 67 lumens, it's more like 30 lumens. I think Brightguy has a typo.

It's still a nice light for close in personal work. I think the heat issues have been worked out. I've used one for camping for years. All the parts have a life time warranty. $20-$25.

I recently got the 3C - 10 LED version off Amazon.com for nearly half the regular price. It is brighter than the 7 LED and runs longer but not as small and pocketable.

Last edited:

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Lux and it's great, although as geepondy says, it is sometimes a bit too throwy. I think if you want a much floodier beam, the 7 LED would be a good light. From the reviews I recall reading, the 7 LED is not brighter than the Lux. For the price these lights are hard [maybe impossible] to beat.

What I'm hoping for is an updated emitter [Q5 ! ] with everything else the SAME.

saildude

Newly Enlightened
The 7 LED is direct drive - about 5 hours constant light ( alkaline ) based on my runtime ( then drops way down for about another 1.5 hrs then stabalizes - they might reach the 155 at a low level - I ran out of patience at 11 hours ( 6 % and holding ) ) - the beam is a wall of light type - I have both lights and am happy with both - they are different animals -

I use the 7 LED when working in engine compartments on sailboats etc - many of the the compartments are tight, no lights, hard to see and reach into, the 7 LED gives me a nice flood of light that bounces around a lot - works great - have some friends that use it as their main inside the boat light as the reach is not so great but the light spreads out nice in the cabin -

Pelican has a similar light the 2440 but has 5 LED's - not as bright but the batteries last longer - I also have a couple and like it also - comes in colors and also a Photo luminescent body - it also works fine in a boat. Also a nice light.

In the engine compartments that are real tight I will take 2 multi-LED lights and prop them up around the engine and then I don't have to move a light until I am done.

mb

ALWZWFO

Newly Enlightened
I own both lights, use them with powerex 2700 nimh. Recently, one of the 7 leds started strobing. I know it's a lifetime warranty but it now sits in the drawer, the 7 led is a great flooder but it had a purplish tint. I love the single Lux version, use it every day, dropped it so many times I can't count, keeps on going! Personally, I wish I hadn't bought the 7 led version. YMMV.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight says alkalines only, could the lithiums burn out the LEDs?

I own both lights, use them with powerex 2700 nimh. Recently, one of the 7 leds started strobing. I know it's a lifetime warranty but it now sits in the drawer, the 7 led is a great flooder but it had a purplish tint. I love the single Lux version, use it every day, dropped it so many times I can't count, keeps on going! Personally, I wish I hadn't bought the 7 led version. YMMV.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight says alkalines only, could the lithiums burn out the LEDs?
Is it too much to ask you to read the reviews of Gunner's links all the way through.

Sorry for being a little grumpy but I just posted this in another thread:

7 LED
4 lithiums is a no no for this one. Even 4 alkalines is too much.
flashlight reviews said:
UPDATE JULY 2004: After hearing numerous complaints from readers and users of this light I am downgrading the review rating. This is because of multiple premature failures on the part of the LED module. You may notice that the numbers on the Throw vs. Output chart are pretty high for a light with only 7 LEDs. That is because they are being driven with so much current that the LEDs are overheating and many people are experiencing premature failure of the LEDs. The symptoms are usually a strobing of one or more of the LEDs. If this happens to yours, contact Streamlight for replacement.

To avoid this condition I would recommend that owners of this light either use a dummy cell and run it on only 3 AA alkaline batteries (less light output is the result) or run it for short periods only.

As an experiment I decided to run my sample on 4 AA rechargable NiMH cells for a while and although the module gets warm (and less light is produced) it does not get anywhere near as hot as with 4AA alkaline cells. So my observations suggest using 4 rechargable cells or only 3 alkaline cells and a dummy cell in this light; NOT four alkaline cells as recommended by the manufacturer.

Luxeon
You might get away using lithiums here.
flashlight reviews said:
The one concern I did have with this light surrounds driving LEDs at fairly high rates inside a plastic body. Despite the use of a lot of metal in the lamp assembly to draw heat away from the LED, there is nowhere for that heat to go inside a plastic light. As a result heat could have build up caused damage to the LED. Based upon thermal observations, it does not appear that the LED or the surrounding structure get any where near the manufacturer recommended maximum temperature despite continuous on-time.

UPDATE Dec. 2005: I have it on very good authority that both name brand lithium AA and NiMH cells will work in this light.

It might be wise to run either light with only 3 lithium batteries and a dummy cell/battery spacer.

ALWZWFO

Newly Enlightened
Nimh has the lowest voltage of all the cells and pretty sure mine has the newer higher resistance resistors already in it (I checked, 22 ohm) and still blew out. I never used alkaline or lithium cells. I used both of them a lot, the 7 led light was handier in some circumstances but my favorite is still the Luxeon.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only reason I had made the original post was because of the fair amount of time since the light's inception, perhaps they now use different LEDs which is why Streamlight might possible say it is brighter then the Lux version.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Ive never had the 7xLED version, but I can say the 1xLuxeon version kicks a**. I still have one that I'll never get rid of. It's one of the best off-the-shelf lights I've ever seen. It runs bright and white for 4-hours.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ray I absolutely agree. It's a tough light and the beam color is as pure as the driven snow. It's just a bit too spotty for me for use as a general car light in such things as changing a tire, etc. Really though I ought to just get me a headlight for a second car light. Maybe the PT quad.

Brody

Newly Enlightened
I have the Streamlight Propoly 4AA Luxeon and 7LED, as well as the Propoly 3C Luxeon and 10LED. All are excellent lights. The 7LED is not nearly as bright as the 4AA Luxeon. Even the 10 LED version is not as bright as the 4AA Luxeon. The Luxeon versions have pretty good throw, with a nice spill. The LED versions are good flood lights, but don't expect them to have a lot of throw. The LED versions run longer on a set of batteries than the Luxeon versions. If you are doing work relatively close to the light, I prefer using the LED versions. For instance, working under a car hood, having the smooth flood is an advantage. If you are using the lights outdoors, then the Luxeon versions are often better for lighting trails, or spotting distant objects. If it is outdoors, but lighting things that are under about 25 feet away, I like the LED versions better. If you ever need a light in foggy conditions, the luxeon versions are much better (or even if you want to do the lightsaber battles in the fog). If you use it for reading, the 7LED version is good... the others are just too bright for me if I want to read for more than a few minutes.

dale465

Newly Enlightened
I have the 7 LED and Luxeon 4AA models. The Luxeon is my favorite light; Good throw and runtime. The 7 LED version started to blink after several months of use and the replacement module has also recently started to blink. Output is good and beam is floody as others have mentioned, but the LED's do seem to burn out. I'll request another replacement module soon. I also had a temporary problem with the switch on the Luxeon light, but it went away. I'll see how it goes.

Schuey2002

Enlightened
Ive never had the 7xLED version, but I can say the 1xLuxeon version kicks a**. I still have one that I'll never get rid of. It's one of the best off-the-shelf lights I've ever seen. It runs bright and white for 4-hours.
I absolutely agree! I love the Luxeon version of this light. In fact, I really ought to pick up another one to use out in the garage, or to use as a extra truck light... :thumbsup: