Zone Alarm warning

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I only use IE as a last resort, which is unfortunately necessary for my pic host. Tonight I went to upload a pic and got this. (XP Home, NOD32 AV, Zone Alarm Pro, OS patches current.)
226970379-O.jpg

(Of course I told it no!)

Larry

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
did you click on the more info button. See what zone alarm says about it. I use zone alarm also and have never seen that alert. definitely sounds fishy.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could be IE is trying to monitor you using shortcut keys. Hard to tell without knowing how everything is set up and how you were using them before.

But zonealarm tend to freak out/over react about everything unless you tell it not to, I turned program control on mine off because it's getting too disruptive and getting on my nerves.

Get spyware scanners and use them just to be safe. Windows defender, spybot S&D, adaware are all good ones.

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it's safe to allow it,
here is an answer on ZoneAlarm forums:
http://forums.zonealarm.com/zonelabs/board/message?board.id=win_za_msgs&message.id=16500

But zonealarm tend to freak out/over react about everything unless you tell it not to, I turned program control on mine off because it's getting too disruptive and getting on my nerves.

Get spyware scanners and use them just to be safe. Windows defender, spybot S&D, adaware are all good ones.

I agree. Spybot S&D is a very good sofware, and the best - it's for free. I'd recommend to download it, first click to "Immunize" and then do the full scan ("Scan for problems".

WNG

Enlightened
Zone Alarm scored rather poorly in a recent Leak test of firewalls. Comodo Firewall Pro ranked best of the free offerings. You may want to upgrade your set up.
Another recommendation is SpywareBlaster. It's not a scanner, but a blacklist of dangerous sites loaded into the registry that will prevent IE from visiting. It's more like a condom than a morning after pill
:D

Secur1

Enlightened
Call me over cautious but....

Spyware/Malware Scanners/Removers
Ad-Aware SE Professional
Spybot - Search & Destroy
SpywareBlaster

Firewall
Hardware one built in to my Siemens modem/router
Software Kerio Personal Firewall Pro

IP Blocker
PeerGuardian to block spam and ad related servers

Registry Live Monitor
MJ Registry Watcher to keep tabs on over 1400 of the most sensitive registry entries before they get altered for what ever reason.

IP Incomming/Outgoing connection Live monitoring
Tcpview from sysinternals, great lil app, see every single IP that you are connected to and point and click to terminate the connection if you want.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zone Alarm scored rather poorly in a recent Leak test of firewalls. Comodo Firewall Pro ranked best of the free offerings. You may want to upgrade your set up.
Another recommendation is SpywareBlaster. It's not a scanner, but a blacklist of dangerous sites loaded into the registry that will prevent IE from visiting. It's more like a condom than a morning after pill
:D

Huh that's interesting to know. They used to be one of the best, so I bought the pro version. But when my subscription ran out I had some questions for CS, that's when I found out there's no CS whatsoever to even pro users without paying per case. That's when I decided to not pay one more cent to ZA.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Thanks Daniel_sk for that link! I had already checked the box and clk'd "Deny." I haven't seen any ill results with IE and my photo host. I also run Spybot S&D and AdAware.

Some interesting info there about ZA Pro, and I may not renew again.

Larry

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used ZA Pro for years and although generally now use Firefox, still use IE some and have never had that warning. I gotta think your warning is due to some certain circumstance, not necessarily a virus.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I've used ZA Pro for years and although generally now use Firefox, still use IE some and have never had that warning. I gotta think your warning is due to some certain circumstance, not necessarily a virus.

Same here, but the warning popped-up following a recent ZA update. I should add that FFox also recently updated and did so again tonight! I have concluded false alarm, based on the rest of my security stuff and Daniel_sk's link. Just wanted to run it by everybody. Thanks!

Larry