fenix LED/store??

sj29

Newly Enlightened
1st post in CPF.....looking to upgrade from older g2 surefire 65L.....saw the update model in lowes for $64 @80L...but....Fenix seems to be what I'm leaning towards......several questions about models/batt/stores

1st- between the fenix P1D Q5 twist (7cm) and the fenix P2D Q5 clickie (8cm)....about same price 58-60usd....which one should I buy??
2nd- seems like a must have is the fenix P3D Q5...??
3rd- is there an advantage of the cr123 batt. over aa/aaa??....aa's seem easier to come by??
4th- which store should I use - fenix-store.com or fenixtactical.com??
any feedback would be great!:thumbsup:
sj

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
1- thats a personal preference
2-the p3d q5 is a nice larger EDC
3-123 lithium batteries are great because the lithium chemistry has more power for the size than a alkaline, i personally like the size of the 123 batteries to.
4-fenix-store has a very good reputation and free world wide shipping.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might take a look at the Fenix T1 also if you like the 123 batteries. There should be a lot of reviews this weekend from the first batch.

The L2D and L2Tv2 are nice AA models. Cheap NiMH rechargeables with the option of AA lithium if you need it.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
sj

I always get mine from fenixtactical.com, since he's close to me so I receive stuff either next day or day after, and no fuss with customs because he's in canada. You didn't mention where are you from, so pick the store that's in the same country as you, you can't go wrong with either.

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
I always get mine from fenixtactical.com, since he's close to me so I receive stuff either next day or day after, and no fuss with customs because he's in canada. You didn't mention where are you from, so pick the store that's in the same country as you, you can't go wrong with either.

yeah i totally agree, where you are globally will determine where to order from.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
1st- between the fenix P1D Q5 twist (7cm) and the fenix P2D Q5 clickie (8cm)....about same price 58-60usd....which one should I buy??
The twistie is shorter but the clicky is easier to use (for me anyways).

When a local store started to carry Fenix lights, I went for a look. I saw the P3D, looked over at the L2D, and decided both are too big. I bought a L0D CE (AAA) that day.

3rd- is there an advantage of the cr123 batt. over aa/aaa??....aa's seem easier to come by??
The one-2/3-A battery is 2/3 the length of of an AA. It is also 3V. You need 2xAA to get 3V. So a 1x123A torch (7 or 8 cm) is 1/2 the length of a 2xAA torch (15 cm) but has similar output.

fenix-store is in the USA. fenixtatical is in Canada. Depends on which country you are in. Canada customs is on the warpath against cross border shoppers right now so everything is much delayed if you buy across the border.

If you live in Canada, check out the CANADA GOOD DEALS thread over at CPFMP. It has listings of most of the Canadian brick & mortar stores as well as the online stores. If you live near one of the b & m stores you can try before you buy.
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=170044

sj29

Newly Enlightened
I'm in the us....so sounds like fenix-store would be the best choice.....anyone else have either the p1d q5/p2d q5?.....the length is not really an issue for me...only 1cm....but still not sure about twist/click option.....also looking at the AAA models (lod rebel)...is this my best bet for the key chain flashlight?:laughing:
sj

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. Personal preference. Do you want smaller and the twist is worth it, or bigger is fine and you like the clicky?
2. P3D Q5, must have? How do you figure? I don't have one nor do I want one. I do have the L2D Rebel 100. The point being this is again a personal question and there is no correct answer.
3. CR123 is 3 volts, AA/AAA is 1.5 volts. The CR123 has potentially a longer shelf life but costs more. if you get Lithium AA/AAA then the cost and shelf life are similar. If you go rechargable, well things change. First there is no CR123 nimh version, which means you have to go with lithium ion, which is 3.7-4.2 volts and needs a special charger. With AA/AAA you can do nimh which is very common, easy to deal with, and gives you 1.2 volts. Also with AA/AAA you can do lithium ion which gives you the 3.7-4.2 volts. I could go on and on abotu the differences between CR123 and AA/AAA. What do you really want to know?
4. Which store? What criteria? I have had great service from Fenix-store.

L0D Rebel- I just ordered the L0D Q4 holiday edition. Only the Rebel 100 L0D might be better. But between the L0D Rebel 80 and the Q4, get the Q4 version.

These questions are too vague. For some people size is more important, for others cost, for others it is quality, and others want the absolute brightest. So asking which one you should buy or which one is better is like you asking what color do you like. How are we supposed to know unless you give us some guidelines?

As for the L0D, "best bet"? Best bet for brightest, best bet for long battery life, best bet for a low mode for reading, best bet for cost, best bet for running off lithium ion 10440 battery, etc, etc?

Last edited:

sj29

Newly Enlightened
Pocketbeam,
I was not trying to be vague....but I'm definetly green when it comes to the new led flashlights and what I want exactly....I do know that I want the smallest, but highest lum possible...run time is also important....I think trying to find a flashlight that comes as close as possible to great form/function is the goal.....I just thought I would get some insider opinions about what you guys like and what has worked for you....
Like I said.....I do want the newest tech./good run time/highest lum compared to other models and compact size....I am sticking with fenix now and might branch off later.....
sj

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Me, I would go for the P2D-CE Q5 Powerpack because of these reasons. 1 CR123 or 1 AA battery, bright on higher modes and longer runtime on lower modes, I won't have the light on a keychain and option to buy a 2AA body(the L2D body). The P2D, L1D and L2D share the same electronics so thy have compatible bodies.

If you want keychain, a AAA model might be better(Like the L0D-CE Q4)

There is a 8% off coupon at Fenix Store for CPF users, "CPF8"

SafetyBob

Enlightened
I have all the above lights from Fenix or played with them before I gave them as presents.

The above poster have nailed the question and you may not be able to answer it yet either. What do you plan to use the light for?

My two cents: My P1D is cute, small but I don't care for the twist to turn on thing. L2D (I think it is the Q5 version) is very nice and like others have said, if you have alot of AA rechargeables around, get it. Otherwise, the P3D's I have I really like. Outstanding throw and brightness (when you need it) and the two battery version is great to start with....then get those tactical bodies. One of the kids yesterday grabbed my P3D with the 3x123 body and ran that baby for along time. After I finally ripped it out of his little hands the head was a little warm but was still as bright as it was when it was turned on. I like the bigger size of the 3x body too.

If you go with the P3D or another CR123 type may I suggest you look here or may I suggest going with Lighthound to purchase your batteries. If you buy 10 or more you will be paying $1.60 apiece for them vs. 5+ dollars at Wally world. I order Energizer CR123a Lithium batteries from him and they are top quality and seem very, very fresh. Others here can direct you to vendors who sell for close to the same. If you think you are going to use the light alot, you may consider the AA route since there is not a direct fit CR123 rechargeable that I know of.

Since I am in the US too, I have purchased all my stuff from fenix-store and have had nothing but good experiences with them. 4sevens here will take care of you.

Bob E.

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, smallest and brightest Fenix would be the L0D Q4 with a Lithium Ion 10440 battery. But as the saying goes, you can have Bright, long runtime, and small, but you can only have two at a time. So the L0D Q4 with 10440 battery is amazingly bright, and super small, but only runs for about ten minutes at the super bright setting. A Fenix CR123 would be as bright and would run longer, but would be bigger.

For me I have the L2D Rebel 100 which runs off of two AAs and is super bright and has good run times, but it is not a small light. For EDC I just bought the L0D Q4 which I will carry on my key ring in my pocket. I have many other lights, but those will be my two primaries. As for the L0D Q4, I am not sure if I will risk the 10440 battery in it or not. It should be great with nimh though.

RGB_LED

Enlightened
:welcome: sj29! There are some really good suggestions in these posts so I hope you find the info useful. Btw, here are my $0.02...

- There tends to be two camps; those who like twisties and those who like clickies. I have both twisties and clickies but I find I like my clickies more.

- Great light; I love my P3D! I also love my P2D as well. It may depend on what you are using it for... I like the P2D for EDC, carry around the office on my belt under a jacket / tie, more upscale restaurants / bars with friends as it's small and unobtrusive. I carry my P3D when I do night-time mtb'ing, camping or when I'm out for a casual evening somewhere.

- Ditto what others have said... more volts / output in a smaller package. So, you will get brighter light with a P3D using 2xCR123 vs. L2D using 2xAA. You can always pickup rechargeable RCR123's + charger from AW or Lighthound if you're concerned about availability or price of CR123's.

- I'm in Canada and I've ordered from both with no problems. I would give the edge to 4sevens (Fenix-Store) as he is always on these forums, responding to our questions and he also ships free. This is not a negative comment about Fenixtactical as their customer service is very good but they used to have free shipping as well. Now, there's a nominal charge per order (something like $2 or so, on an order).

jdong

Newly Enlightened
Personally I'm still a fan of AA lights that are able to run off NIMH; IMO they are bright enough, plus you never have to sweat being able to find batteries -- AA's can always be located at any convenience store and at a better price than $10/pair ;-)

With that said, lithium ion batteries pack a powerful punch for their size and have ridiculously long shelf life (I've heard 10yrs useful shelf life) so that could be an important consideration.

crocodilo

Enlightened
P1D Q5 all the way! Smaller, simpler, more reliable twisty.

If you like a clicky and don't mind an increase in length (and expense), then get also a Leef body, which will give you a forward McGizmo clicky. Quite superior to the reverse clicky on the P2D.

No experience with fenixtactical, but only good things to say about fenix-store, from a european point of view.

If you fancy a simpler CR123 light, the single mode Fenix P1CE is IMHO one of the best lights ever produced.

Oink

Newly Enlightened
I just added a L0D to my cart, and the shipping was $1.95 CDN.

You are right. I was confused by the Express and Service shipment option buttons. Real shipping cost is calculated at cart/checkout.

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
1st post in CPF.....looking to upgrade from older g2 surefire 65L.....saw the update model in lowes for $64 @80L...but....Fenix seems to be what I'm leaning towards......several questions about models/batt/stores

sj

Yes, buy all of them!