Mag 4D Hotwire?

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
How can one make a Mag 4D hotwire with one-stop shop parts (KD, DX & Lighthound) when he has 4 D-size Li-ion (protected) Batteries already available?

This is a situation of a friend. He says he has access to such batteries (he is an electrician) so I can buy the rest of them for the above mentioned stores. Or anyone that can provide me witha ll the other itmes needed. (reflector, lens, bulbs in quantity and bulb adapter) BTW I libe in Greece

How do I choose bulbs? 4x4.2 volts or 4x3.6 Volts?
And what are the safety concers when using Li-ions 4 in a series in a Mag?

thanks, Kostas

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Browse something like www.bulbconnection.com and look for bulbs with the voltage you have. One example is the Osram 64633, which is 15V/10A. I'd say that's pretty good for 4xD Li-Ion.

You'll also need something like a Kiu socket (available in Custom/Mod BST) or the new brass bi-pin holders from KD, as well as an aluminum reflector and glass window (also available from KD).

If you can't get something delivered to you, like the bulb for example, use a forwarding service like Unforgiven's (in the Cafe) or just ask someone to help you out.

Li-Ions are dangerous, the large ones much more so. Store them in a fireproof container, and watch them like a hawk when you charge them. If they don't have protection circuits (likely), make sure nothing happens to them that such a circuit would ordinarily prevent.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks. for the input...Maybe we will have luck with teh Osram bulbs localy...
My friend claims that the batts are protect...we'll see how it comes out...

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 4D host was the original ROP! You take 6 Sub-C NiMH cells, weld them together in a long pack, and then wrap them in paper to give a D-cell radius to them. I think you have to remove the tailspring and deanodize the inside of the tailcap, but that's it on the power-supply front. The metal reflector, borofloat glass window and Pelican 3854 bulb kit is available from one place; FiveMega here on CPF.

medicmerlynn

Newly Enlightened
totally awesome to build..... i just want to build SO much SO fast..... can't get my ducks in a row.... but i have one question.... how do you charge the 6 welded sub-c stick??

oh, and another thing.... batteriesplus can build me a sub-c stick... or should i just buy one off the net?? i guess my biggest problem is finding the stuff i need to build the ROPs....

Last edited:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
totally awesome to build..... i just want to build SO much SO fast..... can't get my ducks in a row.... but i have one question.... how do you charge the 6 welded sub-c stick??

oh, and another thing.... batteriesplus can build me a sub-c stick... or should i just buy one off the net?? i guess my biggest problem is finding the stuff i need to build the ROPs....
You'll need a charger like this. Buying a pre-made stick can save a lot of time.

Or, alternatively, just use a 6D Mag with six D NiMHs.

Raoul_Duke

Enlightened
Browse something like www.bulbconnection.com and look for bulbs with the voltage you have. One example is the Osram 64633, which is 15V/10A. I'd say that's pretty good for 4xD Li-Ion.

I may be wrong, But I'm doubting if that lamp will hold up to 4 D li-ions. With only 50 hours at 15V, I think this will go pop near or at 16.8V.

I would suggest looking for lamps slightly under the voltage of your pack, with loads of hours. Loads of hours at spec voltage allows overdrive. The 64623 is 100W but has 2000 hours at 12V, so less when overdriven.

Some lamps like the 64458 are 12V 90W lamp can take a whopping 21V before it pops, at 10A, thats a lot of lumens.

All depends how much restistance is in the mod, If you can drop 1.8V buy not doing any resistance mods, you will be fine, but I Know for certain that a 100W lamp like the 64623 will be brighter and whiter at 16.8V, but I have even flashed one when the pack was at that peak voltage, with minimal resitance mods. The lamp flashes at 17V on the bench, that was using 4 x 4.2V cells, that can give up the amps way better than Li-ion.

Last edited: