IGNORE: Is there an LED bulb replacement part available for the Maglite Solitaire?

garence

Newly Enlightened
I don't mean to be sacrilegious, so please don't take offense at my proposal.:sick2: I have a super slim Maglite Solitaire that fits perfectly in my laptop case pen slots. It works alright, but I'm tired of the yellowish halogen bulb. If there's a reasonably priced LED replacement of slightly brighter output available, I'd be interested in upgrading the light.

Has anyone done this? Or would the price of a replacement LED bulb be easily matched by buying a completely new LED flashlight of similar dimensions? :thinking:

Here's an example of a Maglite Solitaire adjacent to a venerable Arc AAA (on the left, of course):
littlelights440.jpg

UPDATE:
Well, I apologize for not searching enough before hand. There's plenty of threads on this... and despite someone having achieved a Luxeon III replacement for a very high price, it seems the sentiment is that putting a quality LED in a Maglite Solitaire "... would be like making a pacemaker for a hamster with cardiac problems", as someone on CPF put it about 3 years ago. :crackup:

Last edited:

kavvika

Enlightened
Re: Is there an LED bulb replacement part available for the Maglite Solitaire?

Why yes there is! This is the better of the two commonly-used modules. I was going to purchase one for my solitaire, but since I managed to find a L0D-CE for $30 used, it was really a no-brainer. But I did my research, and I'm pretty sure you'll be quite happy with it. And here's a review, as well. Many will say you're better of putting that money towards a new light, but if you really like the form-factor and feel of the Solitaire, or have an emotional attachment to yours, I say get the upgrade.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
haha, this is actually quite funny, but i sympathise with you garence, go get the mjled from lighthound or you could get it from the sandiwich shoppe

im actually going to do that, if only to see the shock on people-who-think-they-know-alot-about-stuff-but-actually-dont,

"hey why are you using a solitaire? thats dim...woah, okay not that bad.."

Crenshaw

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can recommend the MJled as well. :thumbsup:

I just converted a Solitaire to LED using an MJLed and it is quite nice. I was surprised that the tint was perfect. It makes a very good keychain light. For many people this is enough to find something in a purse, check the mailbox, find the seat in the theatre, read a map, etc. In this case I had no choice since I needed a lime green light.

I still use a copper solitaire sometimes, but since I have several LED lights including the L0D, I like the incan bulb in that solitaire. I have several MJLEDS though since I have a small Solitaire collection and I'll probably convert another on a permanent basis soon for some application.