Jetbeam Jet u

kooter

Enlightened
I traded for a Jet u a while back, and its a fantastic little light. I didnt buy one while they were for sale from Jetbeam as i had read a lot of negative comments about it. But with a 10440 in it on high its amazing. It feels really well built. The only downside is its a bit fiddly to go through the modes. Anyone else like this little guy?

SunnyQueensland

Enlightened
Hi Kooter,

I'm pleased you like it. :thumbsup:

You are right about the output, it really was amazing when I first got it. (I ended up getting two of them) I heard about the negative comments but from time to time I like to see if negative comments about an item are something which I will be comfortable to live with. (The same thing happened with the Hyperion and it is by far one of my favorite lights) The reason I never ended up using them often was that I am a bigger fan of lights with more throw. :huh:

One thing I might suggest is removing the o-ring and finding a smaller replacement. (good luck though) I found the size of the it made twisting the light a little tight even after I applied some PTFE. Or just remove it altogether and sacrifice the water resistance. :shakehead

Still a great little light IMO from any angle.

Regards

ps. On a side note - The 10440 cells that AW sell are a good deal shorter than the ones available from the likes of kaidomain and dealextreme. The AW cells are much better in these small AAA sized lights IMO as they let the head screw down fully. Has anyone else noticed this?

Last edited:

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm glad you liked your Jet-U.

Mine was a dud and I sent it back. Very dim. UI didn't work all the time.

I wish mine wasn't bad because it's a nice design.

Review at CPF Review

jetu005smallxh1.jpg

gunga

Flashaholic
Yep, AW cells are shorter.

The ultrafires are too long and mess up my nanocharger (I need to use a
magnet to charge my AW's now because the ultrafires bent the contacts.

Also, the ultrafires don't last as long.

I had a Jet u. It was a pretty nice light, but I just prefered the spring contact switching of an LOD CE and also the extra throw from it. I'm not a big fan of the memory mode.

Jet u is much smaller and much nicer (knurled) finish tho. A little beauty!

kooter

Enlightened
Thanks Sunny, im real happy with it. :thumbsup:

It gets most use indoors, so i could sacrifice the waterproofness, and remove the o ring altogether, put it back on for outdoor use.

Ernsenada, that is a shame mate, it really is a great design.

Gunga, im using ultrafire in mine, but not had to charge it yet. Wish i had known this before i bought them.

I hope Jetbeam do an updated version of this light, ill be first on the list.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought two from CPF'ers. Cleaning and smaller o rings make them smooth. No problems. Great little lights.

I remember a post from Jetbeam that they weren't planning any more "u" sized lights becasue of the difficulty in manufacturing and subsequent quality control and cost problems.

Last edited:

kooter

Enlightened
Bigron, just removed the o ring, dont really need it indoors, has made it much nicer to use.

If Jetbeam had sorted these small issues out, im sure this light would sell by the hundreds. Please Jetbeam, make the updated Jet u.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes totally agree, only ever handled one, i want one, i liked the floody beam...in fact, im going to post a new thread...okay maybe not, but whoever has contacts at jetbeam, im sure out of all the flashaholics here there has to be someone, do point out to them that there is a market for it..

Crenshaw

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
But with a 10440 in it on high its amazing. It feels really well built.
I really like the light too - I've been using it as my keychain EDC ever since it came out. My review is here:
Jetbeam Jet-u and Fenix L0D-CE 1AAA shootout: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and TEMPERATURES

One question though - how are you running it on Hi on 10400? Mine goes blue almost immediately (the pics in my review tell the story well :green:). I've kept mine on eneloops or L92 e2 lithiums ever since.

kooter

Enlightened
Only have it on high for 10 seconds or so at a time. Never noticed it going blue, but not really looked for it to tell you the truth. Just gonna read your review now. :thumbsup:

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also like mine but wish it had a bit more throw. I only run mine using NiMh. I almost never use the high mode since it just drains the battery too quick ( I think it pulls aproximately 1 amp from the poor little AAA). Medium mode pulls aproximately 450mA and is the mode I use the most.

I am curious if it would be better to run the Jet-u on low mode using a 14400 rechargable lithium cell or medium mode with the NiMh. I thought I remember reading somewhere that the brightness is pretty close between the two. Would the Jet-u be more efficient with the 14400 cell?

kooter

Enlightened
Great review selfbuilt. :twothumbs

Regulator, i like throw too, one of the little flaws i am prepared to put up with.