Photon Freedom Yellow x White : need some help

ankhbr

Newly Enlightened
Hi, guys! :wave:

I need some help on selecting a Photon Freedom.

Although my current EDC light is a Fenix L0P-SE (and I love it), I usually end up carrying it in my bag.

I prefer photon-type lights to carry with me all the time, be it on keychain, on belt loop or pocket.
I have a fauxton on keychain, but I decided I wanted something a little tougher, so I chose the Freedom.

My question is: is the yellow Photon Freedom about the same brightness as the White one, both on CR2032?

When I tried a CR2032 on my (white) fauxton, it yeld a satisfactory amount of light for close work. Like, navigating in a small room, or looking for something 15ft away from me in dark surroundings.

I looked on the forums for some beamshots, but could not find them. So I turn to you guys to help me decide. :)

Thanks!

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
It's been so long since I've had a yellow, I forget how it appears. Do do know that running the white on the CR2032 will automatically make the light half as bright as it you were running the standard 2xCR1016 (or whatever they are) rights? Using the 1xCR2032 in a white Freedom will give it great runtime, at the expense of brightness.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have only the white freedom (in realtree version) and I'm running it with 2x2016 for better output. The beam pattern is nice but IMO the tint is a bit bluish. Great for emergency lighting and it comes with usefull accessories..

Burgess

Flashaholic
I own a Photon Freedom Yellow, and i can honestly tell you --

in total darkness, with dark-adapted eyes, it will provide "useful light" out to a distance of 1 to 2 meters.

Now, when i say "useful light", i mean being able to walk around without running into things. :whistle:

At much closer distances, like reading a book / map / newspaper / radio dial, etc.,
you can manage, as long as the Photon is positioned close-by.

I much prefer the Photon White / 2032 cell combination.

Unless you are in a situation where you MUST avoid being SEEN by others !

That's my humble opinion. Your mileage may vary.
I'm 54 years old, and my eyes probably aren't as good as yours. :(

BTW, eagerly awaiting the release of "new" white Photon Freedoms, using the latest Nichia DS LED.
That's claimed to be Twice as Bright ! :thumbsup:
_

ankhbr

Newly Enlightened
Thank you very much, everyone! :thumbsup:

Burgess: I had heard about the new Freedom. Now I'll wait for it to be released, and put a CR2032 for a better runtime! :D

ks_physicist

Newly Enlightened
Photon already changed from their "original" (think 1999/2000?) white LEDs, to something that I thought was described as "Twice as bright" a few years ago.

Are they now switching to something "twice as bright" again?

ankhbr

Newly Enlightened
Yes.
"Twice as bright" again, with the Nichia DS. :)

Hope it does not take long, as the ReX (which will use this LED too) is being delayed over and over...

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Yes.
"Twice as bright" again, with the Nichia DS. :)

Hope it does not take long, as the ReX (which will use this LED too) is being delayed over and over...

From my experience in testing various Arc-AAA lights, which are the only using the new DS as far as I know, they are not twice as bright. In some cases they are brighter, but not all. I have good CS' that are brighter than average DS'.

Bearcat

Enlightened
I love my Photon Freedom.

I wonder if the new DS LED that is twice as bright as the present Freedom with a CS LED run on 2 2016 batteries, would be the same brightness on a single 2032 battery, but with a much longer run-time?:sssh:

At any rate, I want some DS LEDS for my present Freedoms.

BTW, I've tried both the yellow and white LEDs using a single 2032 battery and the white is much better.

ankhbr

Newly Enlightened
From my experience in testing various Arc-AAA lights, which are the only using the new DS as far as I know, they are not twice as bright. In some cases they are brighter, but not all. I have good CS' that are brighter than average DS'.

The "4x as bright as the original Freedom" talk I read on the Photon Forums (http://forum.photonlight.com). Hope the mods there have some confirmed inside info about that!
Dunno how they're going to achieve that (if it's true), though.

I wonder if the new DS LED that is twice as bright as the present Freedom with a CS LED run on 2 2016 batteries, would be the same brightness on a single 2032 battery, but with a much longer run-time?:sssh:

Wouldn't that be great? :party:

Guess we'll just have to wait and see...

Bearcat

Enlightened
I can't wait till they start selling the Nichia DS LEDs in small quantities, so I can mod my Freedoms. If anyone hears anything, let me know?