RIP Evel Knievel

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
For all the bumps, bruises, broken bones and concussions he took, who would've thought that he would eventually succumb to disease rather than an accident. He must have had nerves of steel. An amazing showman.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
He certainly was a fixture of my childhood in the 70s and his jumps were always highly anticipated events. My mother always used to say (think in the tone of Grandma Walton), I don't know why the darn fool hasn't killed himself yet.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've always had a warm spot in my heart for EK. He was a brilliant showman with an unwavering message and that can not be understated. As much of a nutcase as he was, he was never busted for drugs or rape or any of the other popular activities of modern pop icons. His ultra-patriotic message always played well to me -- because it seemed real. I always found EK entertaining and endearing.

As a side note George Hamilton's biographical film on EK was brilliant. I was never a GH fan but his unbridled egotism is almost a perfect match for that of EK's. I highly recommend the GH movie for any EK fans.

As dopey as EK's story may seem today his story is still a breath of fresh air when compared to the rapist, drug addled, whacko culture that today's sports heros inhabit.

RIP EK.

Last edited:

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm glad he got that feud with Kayne West out of the way before he passed - probably helped the whole situation for him..

And he's probably someplace nice jumping all kinds of stuff by now :)