Dorcy Metal Gear 1watt Wallyworld clearance

luminata

Enlightened
Was just at Walmart (massachusetts) and looks like they are clearing out the Dorcy 1Watt Led Metal Gear flashlights at $11.00. Never owned one and didnt buy one. But for $11.00 even an old Lux 1 Watt aluminum body light didn't seem too bad of a price. May not be the case at every Wallyworld

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
The walmarts around here had the same clearance months ago. The Metal Gear was my first higher power led and it has a very nice tint to it and has pretty good throw, but I decided to give it to my brother and he's really happy with it. Walmart now has a 3aaa focusing optic Dorcy which uses what I think is a Nichia Jupiter for 9.99 which looks promising for non flashaholics and modders.

Delij

Newly Enlightened

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
And they are really easy to mod with a SSC P4 led (star mounted), a bit of solder and you will double the output.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
And they are really easy to mod with a SSC P4 led (star mounted), a bit of solder and you will double the output.

Yup, easy swap with an SSCP4 star...a Cree star is doable too, but you have to raise it with a thick washer. Problem with the production of these flashlights is that the later versions that were sold came with the battery holder stuck on the tailcap...the battery carrier that came with the earlier versions were pretty crappy and had alot of resistance and the attached battery carrier versions were even worse. I stuck a SSCP4, 700mA buck/boost driver and a better battery carrier in one of mines and it now performs great.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
How did you guys manage to get these open? I've been wanting to mod mine with an Edixeon, but couldn't get the dang thing to budge.

LK5GB7

Newly Enlightened
use a pair of adjustable wrenches to unscrew the head from the body. as you have probably already noticed, the bezel and body are hex shaped in some areas. use that to your advantage.

once inside the dorcy you must remove the inner retaining screw that holds the chip/LED down. it also has the hex shaped hole and if you can find a socket of equal size it will probably work good. but mine unscrewed with hand pressure

Garand

Newly Enlightened
These are not the modern fire breathing throwers that some of us own but for the money they are a good light.

I use one all the time when I am out at night on my ATV. It has a good runtime and puts out a decent amount of light. If I loose it is not so bad as loosing my Surefire.