Fenix T1 Why not P60???

sgtgeo

Newly Enlightened
I love the look of the new Fenix T1. I'm just curious why then did not make it to use P60 size drop in modules?

The drop in idea is great as it allows for easy upgrades in the future. Think of the versatility the T1 would have if it used these drop ins. All sorts of incan. and leds. multimodes the options would be limitless.

I wonder if there is any chance of an enterprising CPFer making one fit or a different head all together

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is only my $.02, but I think an integrated design is better than the drop-in. Here's a few reasons. 1) It's possible to get better heat sinking this way, 2) More room for the circuit. For example, I have a Malkoff P60 drop-in module rated at 170 lumens. The Fenix is significantly brighter and with better throw. 3) Fenix was going for toughness on this light. They likely wanted to build the light from the ground up, without trying to work around someone else's design.

USM0083

Enlightened
This is only my $.02, but I think an integrated design is better than the drop-in. Here's a few reasons. 1) It's possible to get better heat sinking this way, 2) More room for the circuit. For example, I have a Malkoff P60 drop-in module rated at 170 lumens. The Fenix is significantly brighter and with better throw. 3) Fenix was going for toughness on this light. They likely wanted to build the light from the ground up, without trying to work around someone else's design.

The newest Malkoff M60 (Q4 CREE) is rated 200+ Lumens.

Bugout Gear BOG-Q5 CREE is 230+ Lumens.
http://store.bugoutgearusa.com/crq5drmo.html

sgtgeo

Newly Enlightened
as far as durability goes, It seems that SF has the market cornered on toughness and durability and they are now making their own LED drop ins

The heatsinking and room for the circuitry is a good point.

My though is that Dereelight has the right idea with the upgradable "pills" and various mode options

I have a Malkoff and a BOG Q5 they are both amazing

Kiessling

Flashaholic
As Valpo has already said, there is nothing to be gained and a lot to be lost when going drop-in compatible for the T1. It is a better light like this.

For the large line of SF lights it is worth considering drop-ins for upgrade reasons. Especially given the relatively moderate drive currents the SF P60-equivalent drop-in uses.

bernie

LG&M

Enlightened
I do not know if it is a better light without the drop-In. I do know that if it took P60 drop-In's I would have bought one.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not being P60 sized does not bother me in the least. There does not exhist a 2 x 123a incan bulb that is close to the output of a decently driven Q5 led.

I think most of the people who want SF compatibility are not going to buy a Fenix...and many of us who are output freaks (like myself) have left the SF platform of led lights a while ago anyway. But to each his own.