Anyone here good with Excel (2000)??

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been tasked with creating a log sheet at work.
I have to list a set of file numbers in the first column of the sheet. The numbers start at 08-0001 and go to 08-1400.
Isn't there some way to get the computer to generate a list of numbers in chronological order instead of me having to physically type in each and every number?:confused:
I hope I am explaining this properly that it can be understood what I;m trying to accomplish.
I would really, really, really appreciate any advice to make this job easier. This is really digging into my surfing time.:devil:

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes (NOT to me being good with XL, but rather "yes" as the answer to your query). just type in the first number in the sequence (viz. 08-0001). then click on (and hold the mouse button down, i.e "click-hold") drag the little black square down watching the indication of the numbering progression. stop at or slightly beyond the number that you are interested in. highlight and delete any extra entries beyond your maximum number required.

hope this info is clear. if not, post back, and i'll try to explain it. you may also PM me if that is your preference.

EDIT:

please note that when that first cell is is selected (or active) that the dark rectangle outlining the selected cell has a small black square in the lower right hand corner of the active cell selection indication (i.e., the bold rectangle around the selected cell). it is that tiny square that you click-hold on and drag downward.

not in your case, but sometimes with other data, you may need to enter two or three entries (enough to establish a pattern) in order for XL to figure out what the pattern's progression is and supply more data for you as you drag. DATE progression works too and can be handy, but some data just won't work and XL merely copies for you data that you already entered without any progression or increment.

Last edited: