X200A - X200B - X300....Your opinions...

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just picked up a Surefire X200A. At first I wasn't sure about the beam profile, but after a bit more use I think its starting to grow on me.
I also like the small side by side battery profile of the body/head. It is a great little light that fits nicely in the pocket. The switch is easy to get used to for handheld use.
I'd like to know other opinions of the X-series. I would like to pick up a X200B. How do those that own one like it? What is the beam like compared to the X200A? I've heard a comparison of them as a E2L vs. L4. Is this accurate?
How do those that have owned the X200A & X200B compare them to the X300? I think these lights seem to be overlooked a bit...especially for modding. I know some won't do it because of warranty reasons, others because of their not wanting to mess with a light they may depend their lives on. I have a Streamlight TLR-2 and use that for my handgun. I can actually see carrying this light quite a bit.

Please share your thoughts, ideas, and opinions about these cool little lights:thumbsup:

EVAN_TAD

Newly Enlightened
The A model has outstanding throw and that is all it has.

The B has a nice even flood.

The 300 is a combination of both.

For home use the B or 300 is what I prefer.

SunStar

Enlightened
Didn't care for the "A" at all when mounted on a weapon. The beam would never align with the sights and I found it to be very distracting. It was "OK" as a hand held. I am very fond of the "B" however. It's brighter, has nice flood and acceptable throw for CQB. I find it very nice when used on a weapon. No experience "yet" with the 300.

Wick

Newly Enlightened
Never liked the X200A. I always felt the beam was too focused for room clearing which was its primary role for my situation.

Loved the X200B. Great light for CQB work. Didn't throw well, but that was not what I needed it to do.

The E2L (2nd gen. w/ TIR) vs. L4 comparison is a very valid comparison.

I got my hands on a SL TLR a while ago and was impressed. I had debated switching over to it, I just didn't want to buy a whole bunch of new holsters so I held out for the X300.

I've been very happy with the X300. I've been running one on my Glock for a month or two and its been great. The X300 is just plain bright. It thorws very well but also has good spill. In fact, I liked it so much that I dumped my old SF MU series light and put a X300 on my M4. I think the X300 really excels in that roll. It's light, fairly compact, impervious to recoil, and just plain works. A very good light. Here is a pic mounted up on my M4:

M4004.jpg

M4002.jpg

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E2L (2nd gen. w/ TIR) vs. L4 comparison is a very valid comparison.

I've been very happy with the X300. I've been running one on my Glock for a month or two and its been great. The X300 is just plain bright. It thorws very well but also has good spill. In fact, I liked it so much that I dumped my old SF MU series light and put a X300 on my M4. I think the X300 really excels in that roll. It's light, fairly compact, impervious to recoil, and just plain works. A very good light. Here is a pic mounted up on my M4:
quote]

WOW!!! I have the M951 & M962 and love them both! That is a pretty big statement about replacing the MU series! Now I'm really interested in getting one. I think I may have to sell one of my X200's and at least pick up an X200B. I would like to have one of each, X200A/ X200B/ X300. I'll have to wait a little bit for a good price on the X300.

Any chance someone with these lights could do a beamshot comparison?

Would it be safe to say the X300 is a Mix of the two previous lights?...and Brighter???

I can see the X200A doing a lot of duty on the handlebars of my Cannondale. It seems like a good light to illuminate the trail far ahead. It would also be a perfect helmet mounted light....as shown in the Surefire catalog.

passive101

Enlightened
I prefer the X300 beam over the very narrow x200. The x200 was a great first LED weapon light that went on a standard rail, but it had it's short comings IMO.

BigD64

Enlightened
I got an X300 as soon as my department changed guns to the S&W M&P 45. Great little light. I had a X200A to evaluate and at the time I thought it was a good weapon light. Now I know what a great weapon light is like.

Wick

Newly Enlightened
WOW!!! I have the M951 & M962 and love them both! That is a pretty big statement about replacing the MU series!

I was running a 951 series and I like the X300 a lot more. I have a M3 (same as the 961) and I think it would outpreform the X300. However, the weight difference between the 961 and the X300 has to be considerable. Not to mention no more worry of blowning a lamp (I never had this happen) and longer runtimes. The X300 throws as well as the X200A and floods nearly as well as the X200B, although the X200B is a bit better in that respect. The X300 is much brighter that either of the X200 series and a worthy upgrade.

Don't get me wrong, the MU series is a fantastic light. Mine treated me very well and is still running strong on a friend's carbine. I just think the X300 is a significant improvment over the 6v MU series. The 9v MU series may still give the X300 a good run, but with extra size, weight, shorter run times, and the possibility of a blown lamp.

I did a few beam shots after I got my X300. The comparisons were a TLR-1, SF L1 Cree and the X300. They can be found on page two of this thread: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/172597&page=2

lightemup

Flashaholic*
I have tried the X200A and B, as well as the x300. IMHO the X300 is the way to go for a new purchase.

As to whether its worth upgrading if someone's already got a x200, they would have to check it out and form their own opinions...

Just my 2 cents

Last edited:

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought a X300 and wow is this thing bright. I wish SF would turn this into a pocketlight. I love the 2x123 side by side config.

I think the beam is a little narrow and I would prefer x200B style WIDE flood for mount on my XD45. While I've never tried a X200B I hear its like a KL4. That would be the perfect beam pattern for handgun range.

I might trade the x300 for a X200B or TLR1/2 later. I just love the output too much to let it go...

I also like the softer toggle switching of the TLR1/2 more.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have seen several X200A's on eBay selling for $100.00 buy-it-now. I paid $100.00 each for mine. I decided to open one of my X200As and replace the LUXIII with a Seoul USXOH emitter and a McR20s reflector.
IT IS SOOOOO MUCH BETTER!!!

I have not seen the X200B or X300 in person, but I compared the Modded X200A to my L4 and it absolutely blows it away!!!

The throw is awesome and the spill beam is about perfect!!

I no longer crave the X300 or X200B

All together I have $130.00 into this light and will probably never sell it!

I also have the Streamlight TRL-2 and I prefer the beam of the modded X200A to it. Don't get me wrong, the TLR-2 is great! but the smaller X200A gets used more often.

I wish I had the X300 just so I could do a beamshot comparison between the X200A, X200B, TLR-2, & Modded X200ASR.....as I call it.

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is your modded x200A mounted to?

Whatever happened to the x200L? Thats the only reason I want a TLR2..the integrated laser!

Although I know if Surefire will put a laser on something it will hike up the price a lot!

TLR2 is already double the price of a TLR1..I wonder how much a x300L will be

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same as yours actually.....XD45 4 inch model.

I opted for the TLR-2 because I am not going to wait for Surefire to release the X300L......who knows when that will be!!

I found my TLR-2 on eBay for $235.00 shipped, not too bad considering what MSRP is!!!

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also bought some 1913 rail and drilled & taped it for 1/4-20 thread and it now mounts to my mini tripod!!!

I use it all the time when I need a light and nobody is around to hold it!

I'll try to remember to post pics when I get home.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is a great little light that fits nicely in the pocket. The switch is easy to get used to for handheld use.

Do many people here have experience of using WeaponLights as a handheld light? It has always seemed a bit strange to me, but every now and then I hear people mention the idea.

Regards,
Tempest

Size15's

Flashaholic
The trouble I've found with carrying the X200/X300 is that because it has not lockout, the carry method must prevent accidental activation by physically blocking contact with the switches, whilst at the same time being compact and low-profile for a non 'tactical' / overt EDC (my preference)

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The trouble I've found with carrying the X200/X300 is that because it has not lockout, the carry method must prevent accidental activation by physically blocking contact with the switches, whilst at the same time being compact and low-profile for a non 'tactical' / overt EDC (my preference)

Good point, hadn't thought about that :ohgeez:I know it is rather subjective, but would you say it is "worth it" to carry an X200/X300 (if you can find a suitable carry method) over similarly sized/performing SureFire models? I'm not at all familiar with WeaponLights (really know next to nothing about them), but I assume there must be something about them that makes them desirable for pocket carry despite the lack of a lockout feature, etc

Regards,
Tempest

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 2 cents..

Just purely size and performance for me. The side by side battery config vs end to end battery config makes a compact package. Plus 110 lumens for 2.4hrs! Its not as versatile as multilevel lights but 2.4hrs is pretty good.

If you stuck the x300 in your pocket with rails facing out, its hardly noticeable unless you wear really tight jeans.

I would imagine if someone made quick detach belt holster for it. Or even a rail that accept the x300 with cell phone style swivel clip it would be a very nice size for belt carry.