Ultrafire w/ Cree or Dorcy w/ K2?

deathkenli

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone!

Recently I'm quite interested in LED flashlight and my brain is filled with the urge to get a proper LED flashlight...:cool:

This evening when I was at London Drugs, I saw two Dorcys with 6W Luxeon K2
http://www.dorcy.com/products.aspx?p=414295
http://www.dorcydirect.com/p-32-led-6-watt-k2-terminator.aspx

Now the 6AA one is going on sale for 39.99 which is quite tempting.

However when I search on the internet about it I accidentally discovered DealExtreme.com and there prices are really nice. But there are some people complaining about their bad service..:crazy:

I was interested in this Ultrafire with 3W CREE
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1446

I really can't decide now, safe and easy purchase at London Drugs or try my luck online..:oops:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Cree XR-E LEDs(P4-R2 bin, along with the Seoul P4 U bin, and Luxeon Rebel 100) are at least twice the efficiency of the Luxeon K2 LED. For the same power, they(The Cree, Seoul, Rebel LEDs) will output twice the amount of light.

Dealextreme is slow at shipping(Usually takes a month to get to me) but besides that, the only problem is they might ship you the wrong product(seems rare). Send them a mail and they will fix it.

For $40, I would skip the Dorcy and get this light. 5 modes and comes with 2AA extension tube and a diffuser. The Ultrafire C2 with a Cree XR-E Q5 would be brighter then the normal C2. How about this light(thread, or this one) just to see how you like the high power LEDs?

What would you like in your light?
Throw?
Runtime?
Batteries?
Size?
Cost?

:welcome:

deathkenli

Newly Enlightened
Looks like CREE is a much better choice!

Well I think I was looking for "throwers", spotlight-like flashlights.

That Romisen seems really nice, I think I will get it too.:D

bessiebenny

Enlightened
Ultrafire C2 is a more floody light with super wide bright spill.
If you want throwers, get the WF-400 or newer/better WF-600.

Keep in mind that the two I recommended require 18650 batteries.
They can be easily bought from DX also and with a cheap charger.
They are designed to be a thrower and are excellent for the money.

oops

Newly Enlightened
The Dorcy 6watt K2 is not bad . . . . its just that there are better things out there - like getting the Dorcy K2 and swapping out the star with an SSC . . . . or maybe if you're willing to accept a slightly larger light then the Lowes Task force. Anyway, I couldn't resist and tried my hand at some beam shots (I like my Dorcy 6watts. I'm a terrible photographer, but the SSC makes it a bit brighter (very similar to the Lowes Task Force but not quite as bright as the TL-3).

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take a quick browse through this thread:
CANADA good deals
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=170044
You might find a store near you.
The online stores listed are in Canada so no worries about stuff tied up in Customs.

Before you buy make sure you can get the batteries locally at reasonable cost. Many powerful torches use funny batteries that cost a lot (CR123As are 2 for $20).

I do not have any suggestions at your price range. I bought a few lights at the local stores around $40, not too happy and either gave them away or put them in storage.

Of the lights I recommend:

At the low end is the MTE 1xAA SSC-P4 1 mode. $15 from DX.** All 4 of mine have QC stickers and all 4 work. MTE also make a 5 mode and a 20 mode.

The next light I can recommend is the Fenix L2T V2.0 Rebel $ 53 + shipping or the Fenix L1T V2.0 Rebel 80 $52 + shipping.
Also available from Fenix Tatacal L2T $56.50 inc shipping. Looks like they sold out the L1T.
If you can wait for them to restock and customs clearance delays Fenix-store.com has the best prices (+ an additional 8% off for CPF members discount code CPF8)
L2T $46.50 before discount.
L1T $46.50 before discount.

**A couple of words of warning about DX.
1) DX lists everything available including loads of junk I nought 2 other torches from them. One was intermittant and died within a week. 1/2 my batteries would not fit in the other one. That is why I emphasized all 4 of my MTE have QC stickers and all 4 work.
2) DX lists everything available but does not always carry stock. There are reports of 3 month waits for some items. The MTE is popular enough DX seems to carry stock. Both my orders ship next day. YMMV.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both a 1-mode Cree 1xAA light (sku 1892) and the 5-mode MTE rebel 100 1xAA light. I like both a lot and the MTE rebel is way brighter than the Cree even after I swapped to a Q5 and proper driver board. Not to mention the color redition of the rebel is way, way nicer.

That said, the sku1892 feels much better in the hand and I prefere the single mode on it.

I am looking to eventually get a G2L and L2T v2.0 but I don't know how I'll justify it now that I have a Niterider Sol on order (I have been using these as bike lights for many months).