Green tint on E2l... ughh!

535sawby

Newly Enlightened
Just got my new cree E2l (KX2 head). I must say that the tint is very green, almost sickening. I like the blueish square hotspot on my older KL2 much better.
Anybody else experience this?
I don't troll here anymore and was wondering if Surefire still warrants these problems.
Thanks,
MB

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
If Surefire is using WF, or WG bin Cree LEDs you could have some that are pretty white, and some that are pretty green. You'd think Surefire would test each light for tint and reject any that have a noticeable color tint, but maybe that would cost them too much because they may have to reject a lot of LED's and eat the costs.

Cree tint bin chart:

http://img378.imageshack.us/my.php?image=binningcreexreyz4.jpg

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
My L1 is white but I have noticed that my E1L is kinda greenish. Its only noticable when compared to my L1. I can tolerate it though, it still has a nice beam.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
green tints are best for use outdoors. They render green colors better. This is a desirable trait if you ask me.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm perfectly happy with the green tint on my E2L. I don't see the attraction of a perfectly "white" beam.

Regards,
Tempest

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
My L1 has a pronounced green tint. As most of my Cree lights have a slight to pronounced warm tint. I prefer them like this as this is less hard for the eyes. And like carbine15 said, they are better outdoor!

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought 3 P2D Q5's and two of them had a blueish tint and the one I kept had a slight greenish tint. I gave the other two to my brother and my dad. I much prefered the greenish tint. However I admit the tint is only noticible when compared side by side with other lights. If your L1 is noticibly green when shined on a white wall by itself, then that would bother me also. But if it is only noticible when compared side by side with other lights, you may find the greenish tint preferable. It will give most things more of a warm feeling being closer to a bulb in appearance than the more traditional blueish tint Led.

Bill

My L1 also has a green tint. You can see when white wall hunting, but is fine outdoors. It bothered me at first, but after using it outdoors I am happy with it. Try it outdoors, it might grow on you.

Mountain Man

Newly Enlightened
E2L here, mine seems to be nice white- blue tint, but I have nothing to compare it to, Yet !

Entrekman

Newly Enlightened
bought a total of 6 E2Ls (all cree), gave them to my wife, kids and relatives, but kept 2 for myself. I opened all of them to compare the tints, and two had cold white tint and the other four had warm tint (not one comes close to matching to another one).

da.gee

Enlightened
My E2L does look a tad greenish on the hot spot edge next to another light but nothing offputting. Just a hint of green.

Overall I find the light quite pleasing. Creamy hotspot and overall nice beam. TIR optic, Type III HA. Great output and runtime (9 hrs @ true 45 lumens). What's not to like? A good light to have around for decent lumens and extended service times. It's my "maybe I'll need a pretty bright light for a long time" tool.

Last edited:

Schuey2002

Enlightened
Just got my new cree E2l (KX2 head). I must say that the tint is very green, almost sickening. I like the blueish square hotspot on my older KL2 much better.
Anybody else experience this?
I don't troll here anymore and was wondering if Surefire still warrants these problems.
Thanks,
MB
Yep. The new KX2 that I just got in today is the same way. It's beam is ultra green-ish yellow, that is very sickening to look at. And that is why I am sending her back to SF's "Building B" in the morning.. :shrug:

Scotman

Newly Enlightened
My new E2L has a warm yellowish tint. Looks more like an incan than any other LED I have.

planex

Newly Enlightened
The KX2 black anodized head I received today is very white and bright. Makes my L1 on low look green.

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Carbine15 is correct.

I mean... I also bought my new Surefire L1 Cree 2 weeks ago and, at first, I became a little disapointed with the green tint on low mode. Before I bought the SF, I just knew Fenix "Ice white cold" lights. I do like my Fenix lights a lot, but now I learned to like this new SF L1 (it´s my first Surefire).

The green tint on mine just appears if I point it on low mode, in a white wall. And lights are not made to hunt white walls. In real use, in real world, I just can´t percept the green tint on low mode (on high mode, it disappears).

And yesterday night I did a test: compared the light of the SF L1 (slightly green) with Fenix L2D (icy white cold). It is more easier to percept COLORS and your variations with the green tint. With the SF (green light) the colors look more vivid. With the Fenix, the colors look a little bit "dead".

Don´t mind about your green tint. First of all, test your SF in real world, and not just in a white wall.

Greetings from Brasil! :thumbsup:

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
My KX2 has a very slight green tint to it's beam.

v004Small-1.jpg