A2 Leakage

ygbsm

Enlightened
I just got my A2. I really like this light a lot. The dual light levels are incredibly convenient and though its longer than a C2 , the diameter makes it feel much less bulky. The interior finish is very nice (particularly for those concerned about tool marks and the like. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I thought about puttin g an M2/C2 clip on it but decided not to because: 1) the clip would increase the "felt bulk" of the light and 2) the M2/C2 clip looks like its a bit too long (or the flattened area on the A2 is a bit too short) for the clip to lie against the flattened are. Finally, yesterday I lightly rinsed off the A2 in cold water, no immersion and only limited time under the tap (which was not running hard), -- today there was a good deal of condensation formed on the inside of the lens. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif The light still works and I'm drying it out now so hopefully no permanent harm done. I will be keeping it away from water from now on, however (I like it too much to even think of sending it back and waiting).

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd be plenty pi$$ed... $150 for a light that leaks under a gentle water flow? I wouldn't want to use it in a downpour or drop it in a puddle.

Al, what do you think? Should this go back to surefire?

pheonix

Newly Enlightened
Was it cold when you first put it together? condensation on the inside

SurefireM6

Enlightened
My E2e lens forms droplets on the inside when it rains. SF lights are not waterproof unless certified to be so (SF "N" Certification), dropping them in water or putting them under running water is not a good idea.

Size15's

Flashaholic
We do not know what happened. If you are not happy with the performance of your SureFire, please call SureFire Customer Service to explore your options.

Al

ygbsm

Enlightened
As I said above, I am, in general, happy with the light. This is just a caution that at least one is far from waterproof/water reistant. I will have to be very careful in a downpour. A few facts: I had not disassembled the light before the rinse. Both the light and the water were cold.

It sounds like what SurefireM6 describes. After reading the various e2e stories, I was not particularly surprised about leakage, although none of my e2s have had any leakage problem.

dougmccoy

Enlightened
My understanding of the SF guarantee is the light is supposed to do what it says on the packaging. If the light leaks under normal use, ie in the rain or under the tap then you have a good reason to claim a faulty product and get a replacement!

Just a thought but water and electronics dont make good bed partners, even if the light functions now I would expect problems in the future!

Doug

Size15's

Flashaholic
The Electronics are protected. Lithium Batteries do not like water - especially if they are hot and being used.

The Bulb will not like to get wet while it is on. Also, the reflector may be damaged by chemicals in the water if it is hot.

If you are not happy with the performance of your SureFire, please call SureFire Customer Service to explore your options.

Al

poalcat

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
dougmccoy said:
My understanding of the SF guarantee is the light is supposed to do what it says on the packaging. If the light leaks under normal use, ie in the rain or under the tap then you have a good reason to claim a faulty product and get a replacement!

Doug

[/ QUOTE ]

Pouring tap water on an A2 is "normal" use? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
Like I said, if your SureFire does not perform as you expect or require, please contact SureFire Customer Service to explore your options.

Al

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:
Like I said, if your SureFire does not perform as you expect or require, please contact SureFire Customer Service to explore your options.

Al

[/ QUOTE ]

here ya go, one more time incase anybody missed it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
ygbsm said:
I thought about puttin g an M2/C2 clip on it but decided not to because........the M2/C2 clip looks like its a bit too long (or the flattened area on the A2 is a bit too short) for the clip to lie against the flattened are.

[/ QUOTE ]

i really want the longer clip for my A2, i hope you're wrong about this. it will work but it may be a pita to get in and out of your pocket and eat said pocket.

has anybody noticed in the 2003 catalogue comparison chart section shows the A2 with a long clip. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Seth

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
LEDagent said:
Wait...so who do i call again? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ghostbusters! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seth

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
i aint afraid of no ghost! off topic baby /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
tkl said:
[ QUOTE ]
ygbsm said:
I thought about puttin g an M2/C2 clip on it but decided not to because........the M2/C2 clip looks like its a bit too long (or the flattened area on the A2 is a bit too short) for the clip to lie against the flattened are.

[/ QUOTE ]

i really want the longer clip for my A2, i hope you're wrong about this. it will work but it may be a pita to get in and out of your pocket and eat said pocket.

has anybody noticed in the 2003 catalogue comparison chart section shows the A2 with a long clip. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

well?? quit looking at the tooling marks and answer my question. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif besides, the first A2 i received had none. i'll report on the second.

ToddM

Enlightened
I'd say once it's dried out try to duplicate the test and see if it leaks again. It may just be condensation from being really cold then warmed up. You'd be amazed the places condensation can form if the right temperature change is induced.

I don't think surefire ever intended the A2 to be a tactical light, and that may be why there may be a lack of effort to make it water resistant. Not to mention I still don't think most tactical teams, certainly not covert ones would want it's two stage switch. I can imagine HK issuing a MP5 instead of a select fire switch you pull the trigger at 4lbs for one shot and 8lbs for full auto, or a radio that worked normally till you pressed the button too hard in a hot zone and it started playing madonna at 150 decibles from your position.

I can't imagine a single tactical unit that wouldn't want their lights to be reasonably water resistant though. Which is why surefire offers the N certification for those that need to rely on it. Maybe surefire will offer a N certification in the A2 for those that desire it.

That said, IMO any light costing $150 should be reasonably water resistant (waterproof is a myth). Certainly not to 50 meters but there's no reason these shouldn't be good to oh 3'-10' or so. Except with some of the rechargeables that have to vent gasses and can explode if they don't. I tend to test all my lights in what I consider reasonable test. Dunk it in a 5 gallon pail for awhile, if it will take that without leaking it will take any snow, rain, or puddle I expose it to. If it fails I throw it in a junk drawer. If I'm going to go to the trouble of EDC'ing a light to rely on I don't want to worry about it failing in the rain or if I drop it in a puddle, or two days later after I do because it leaked.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
todd, their are several special forces units that have A2's in the field right now, according to brock. or al, can't remember.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Al,

Forgive me for being a little off topic, but...

What happens to lithium batteries when they get wet while being used?

I have several lights that use lithium batteries and I use the lights in all kinds of weather. I have not seen any warnings or cautions from SureFire. Do I need to be concerned?

Tom

brightnorm

Flashaholic
This has been discussed before. Bottom line: despite potential danger, modern lithium batteries are well enough protected so that lithium/water contact is unlikely. However, if contact occurs explosive reaction may result.

See First sentence of # II "Water Reactive Chemicals" below

VIOLENT LITHIUM/WATER REACTION

Brightnorm